Mpox (Monkeypox) 🙈 nasty!

Reading this article involving monkey pox.
Just the title makes me squirm, tho doesn’t come from monkeys.

It did come from Monkeys.

Although people catching it now must be catching it from other humans. Gay sex seems to be the link so far.

As long as it’s not air borne, most people should be pretty safe.

2 Likes

We can expect more of things like this after two years of reducing natural immunity.

3 Likes

Well, nobody has natural immunity now that small pox is a thing of the past. Smallpox vaccine did give pretty good protection against other pox viruses.

it’s probably not an airborne virus, nor particularly infective through contact. hence, contact via very thin oral and rectal mucosa is a concern.

4 Likes

That’s assuming that immunity is virus specific. I look at it more as a general build-up of immunity which helps protect against many viruses.

But, we’ll see how things pan out with these “rare and unusual” viruses. We’ve just had the children dying from the unusual acute hepatitis.

Where does it come from? Monkeys?

No!

“The name is actually a little bit of a misnomer,” Rimoin says. Perhaps it should be called “rodentpox” instead.

But monkeys aren’t major carriers. Instead, the virus likely persists in squirrels, pouched rats, dormice or another rodent.

The name “monkeypox” comes from the first documented cases of the illness, in 1958, when two outbreaks occurred in colonies of monkeys kept for research

2 Likes

I need to eat less monkeys.

2 Likes

Cue DEFRA announcing that all rodents need to be culled.

1 Like

Gerbils.

1 Like

People only started saying it came from other animals after the monkeys donated a lot of money to the WHO and they refused to cooperate with investigators.

14 Likes

Monkey guilt money.
Poxy monkeys.

1 Like

But look what happens to the cats that eat monkey. I’d rather get the pox.

By the look of that photo, not really much chance of it spreading through sexual contact, if one is symptomatic. Wild guess.

The cat smokes. It doesn’t eat monkey burgers. That’s human food.

Gerbils. It’s been said already.

1 Like

Holy smoke. Nasty business!

1 Like
1 Like

‘The virus enters the body through broken skin (even if not visible), respiratory tract, or the mucous membranes (eyes, nose, or mouth).’