Multi-cooker

We’re thinking about getting one of those multi-cookers, similar to an Instant Pot. I think they’re also called smart pots or multi-function pots. They are an all-in-one pressure cooker, slow cooker, steamer, yogurt maker, rice cooker, food warmer, sous vide, etc. I don’t think the brand Instant Pot is available locally, but is there a similarly reliable one here, preferably Japanese?

Have a look over in one of the Costco threads: instant pots have been discussed a bit there.

Are they mostly for western-style food or Asian style food or what is your plan?

My plan would be Western food, particularly the slow cooker function, but I’m sure my wife would like to try Asian food, too. She’s curious about a pressure cooker. I thought this could be a way to kill two birds with one stone. My worry is that something which does everything doesn’t really do any of those things very well.

Probably but I have no idea in this situation.

America’s Test Kitchen reviewed some of the main multi-cookers and found that the Instant Pot didn’t work well as a slow cooker. If you just want it for slow cooking, slow cookers are probably much cheaper and easier to get here.

You can search for instant pot recipes online and see what it’s good for: many of the dishes are similar in style to slow cookers (beans, tougher cuts cooked a long time), but done a lot faster. That may or may not suit your schedule.

They’re good pressure cookers. That’s basically their main function.

2 Likes

I bought a Midea model in China about 8 years ago, it’s proved very useful, no regrets. But looking for Japanese, I would now give preference to Zojirishi, I think

The Instant Pot is currently available at Costco - saw a bunch of them at the Guandu branch the other day. This is the first time I’ve seen that actual brand available here, although I’ve seen other multi-cookers around.

On special, $700 off, for week of Jan. 29 to Feb. 7 as well.