Mushrooms of the Day

Need to watch this

1 Like

paddy hoppin in pingtung

1 Like

@urodacus @Explant I’ve been reading that some types are in season through October. Can you share GPS coordinates or help out those less fortunate? We wanna see the bioluminescent mycena for ourselves.
Tianan, Miaoli, Alishan? Which ones are likely to be most active when?

1 Like

These were growing in Holy Ghost Ridge near Santa Fe last time I went to visit my mom. They look like agaracus

1 Like

For mycena that glow I. taiwan, you really are best off in spring and summer. in reality, all year is possible. but the main flushes happen after the “cold” and some “dry”.

I wont put specific gos online, but welcome to pm me. Though, they arent hard. nation wide, this mycena has spread already. just a matter of finding the microclimates they like. plum rain season is great!

find places with some bamboo in a mixed forest and permanent water source (be it stream or pond). Heavy shade is needed as well as fallen/dead thick bamboo. go at night, turn the lights off for many minutes and let your eyes adjust. then just sit and search.

this is a common species here, just rarely noticed given they glow where people usually dont exist.

I’ve been working non stop since the typhoon, need a break. will check a couple spots and see if any around now. it’s still super hot, so quite possible! if I take some crappy pictures will post for you :slight_smile:

they dont glow green. they make you see things glowing yellows and oranges :slight_smile: Fly agaric. best to read up on, interesting species!

Please do let me know. I’m in Alishan now, but surprisingly cool here. I couldn’t even sleep in my hammock

your chances will be better in the warmer parts of the country :slight_smile: come back down to the flat lands and your search will be easier.

lots of other cool fungi to admire up there though. post some pics if you see something cool!

1 Like

as an aside. there are some fairly active Taiwanese fungi facebook groups. generally speaking, people here are less fussy about giving away locations publicly (sort of like inaturalist). a wealth of information in those groups. I’m a stickler as I come from animal and plant collecting backgrounds and still cant bring myself around to saying free flowing spores arent a big worry haha. Force of habit. but am happy to make suggestions via pm if you find yourself out of luck. I know the feeling, took me 16 years to finally find my first glowing mycena here. it was magical.

1 Like

Hao ke-ai!

1 Like

So size does matter? :thinking:

If you have to ask–

But is it magic?

1 Like

looks like its sprinkled with pixie dust
:mushroom: :dizzy: :star_struck:

1 Like

That’s Pangolin sweat.

It’s a miracle that someone found it. But then again, Taiwanese don’t look up, so—

1 Like

Or worse!

I knew I had seen it before

1 Like

So 2023. I got newer mushrooms growing in my bathroom.

3 Likes

I seen those ones that grows on cow shit in yangmingshan. There’s a ranch up there.