Must Have Albums to have on an IPod

Okay, I’m reloading my IPod. I have more Hip Hop/Rap than I thought. I need balance. What albums are must haves to have on an Ipod?

Sorry to Tigerman and JdSmith-But NO NO Grateful Dead. Tried it in HS and all I can deal with is “Truckin” which I will have on my tombstone. :smiley:

Now, everyone else pitch in…

Country
Classical
Funk
Hip Hop/Rap
Pop
Dance
Disco
World
R&B
Jazz
Gospel
Easy Listening
Soundtracks

Etc…Have fun :laughing:

Check out [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/rolling-stones-500-geatest-albums-ever-made/8778/1 thread.[/url]

Widespread Panic: Everyday
Roger Waters: Pros and Cons of Hitch hiking.
The grateful dead: Live Dead :smiley:

Deep Purple- Machine Head
AC/DC- Back in Black or Dirty Deeds
Offspring- Americana or Ixnay on the Hombre

Dave Matthews: Live at Red Rocks, or with Tim Reynolds.
The Tragically Hip: Up to Here.
Gregorian Monks: Chant (good in traffic jams)

Country - Restless by Carl Perkins
I honestly have no idea what you should have here, but I will suggest Carl Perkins (probably more rock than country).

Classical - try Shostakovich or Wagner
I like these composers but I haven’t explored classical much. I know I like certain pieces, but then I’d have to track down the composer, conductor and orchestra in order to find the music I heard. A daunting task indeed.

Funk - Funktelechy vs. The Placebo Syndrome by Parliament
These guys really are from another planet.

Hip Hop/Rap - Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest
You probably have this already.

Pop - Off the Wall by Michael Jackson
Remember a time when MJ had a 'fro, Quincy Jones was his producer and he turned out HOT albums like this.

Dance - Mixed Live, Crobar Nightclub Chicago by Carl Cox
For pure high energy dance beats look no further than three turntable master Carl Cox. I’m sure he has better albums out there, but you can’t go wrong with this one.

Disco - The Best of Cheryl Lynn - Got to Be Real by Cheryl Lynn
My favorite disco diva.

World - Calypso Carnival by The Mighty Sparrow
I suppose I should recommend Bob Marley or something, maybe some Brazilian or Japanese drummers, but instead I will shamelessy plug an artist from the home of my ancestors, THE MIGHTY SPARROW! Calypso Carnival is a good but quite old album. You may also try looking for artists such as Crazy, Tall Paul and Square One. Most of my stuff is on mix tapes or CDs so I don’t know how much luck you’d have finding these artists on iTunes or in a record store.

R&B Street Songs by Rick James
RICK JAMES!

Jazz - Birth of the Cool by Miles Davis
I think Kind of Blue is more often recommended but I prefer Birth of the Cool as The One Jazz Album You Must Own. Better yet get both. Alternatively you can go with John Coltrane’s soulful A Love Supreme.

Gospel - O Brother Where Art Thou Soundtrack
I’m not a fan of most gospel, but this soundtrack has a lot of good old-timey spirituals on it.

Easy Listening - What the fuck do you want this on your iPod for?!

Soundtracks - The Collection: 40 Years of Film Music by John Barry
Soundtracks are kind of hit and miss, but this collection has some of John Barry’s best work covering a broad range of styles all performed by the same orchestra. He is one hell of a composer.

You should also try some J-Pop like Pizzicato 5 (Made in the USA, Playboy Playgirl) and lounge artists like Thievery Corporation (The Cosmic Game, The Richest Man in Babylon), Swayzak (Himawari) and Jazzanova (In Between, The Remixes 1997-2000).

Check out Van Hunt, has 2 albums out. His first I think is the better of the two but his new album is good too.

[quote=“Namahottie”]
Country
Classical
Funk
Hip Hop/Rap
Pop
Dance
Disco
World
R&B
Jazz
Gospel
Easy Listening
Soundtracks[/quote]

What? :astonished: No bluegrass?

How many gigs does your iPod have?

I’ve been listening to this guy alot recently:

Donavan Frankenreiter

and also this guy: Jackie Greene

I’d also recommend this:

And maybe something from the land down under:

I just uploaded this onto my iPod:

[quote=“naijeru”]Country - Restless by Carl Perkins
I honestly have no idea what you should have here, but I will suggest Carl Perkins (probably more rock than country).[/quote] Will try. I want to broaden my Country, because I have the Dixie Chicks and Shania and that’s not “real” country music.

[quote]
Classical - try Shostakovich or Wagner
I like these composers but I haven’t explored classical much. I know I like certain pieces, but then I’d have to track down the composer, conductor and orchestra in order to find the music I heard. A daunting task indeed.[/quote] Never hear of the first one. Will try.

[quote]Funk - Funktelechy vs. The Placebo Syndrome by Parliament
These guys really are from another planet.[/quote] Anything by Parliament I’m trying to get. Man, I love those guys. Actually snuck into their new years concert 1995. Best greens and jaming

[quote]Hip Hop/Rap - Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest
You probably have this already.
[/quote]HELLO. The best Hip Hop group of all time. Althought recently I just saw Source mag saying Outcast is the greastest. [color=darkred]NOT[/color]. Midnight Marauder isn’t the best one. Low End Theory is my fava=Check the Rhyme = Best all time Hip Hop song in my book.

[quote]Pop - Off the Wall by Michael Jackson
Remember a time when MJ had a 'fro, Quincy Jones was his producer and he turned out HOT albums like this.[/quote]Got it. The only decent one he put out. But that’s because he had Q. I used to roller skate back and forth in my basement to this album for hours as a kid…

[quote]Dance - Mixed Live, Crobar Nightclub Chicago by Carl Cox
For pure high energy dance beats look no further than three turntable master Carl Cox. I’m sure he has better albums out there, but you can’t go wrong with this one.[/quote]Dear God, Crobar? That place used to suck. I went there a couple of times. The Real World Chicago was filmed right around the corner. Are you from Chicago? If so, you should be giving me some good House music. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

[quote]Disco - The Best of Cheryl Lynn - Got to Be Real by Cheryl Lynn
My favorite disco diva.[/quote] Fave disco song, and best Sex in the City episode has that song.

[quote]
World - Calypso Carnival by The Mighty Sparrow
I suppose I should recommend Bob Marley or something, maybe some Brazilian or Japanese drummers, but instead I will shamelessy plug an artist from the home of my ancestors, THE MIGHTY SPARROW! Calypso Carnival is a good but quite old album. You may also try looking for artists such as Crazy, Tall Paul and Square One. Most of my stuff is on mix tapes or CDs so I don’t know how much luck you’d have finding these artists on iTunes or in a record store.[/quote] Cool will look for it.

[quote]R&B Street Songs by Rick James
RICK JAMES![/quote] :doh: Why didn’t I think of that.

[quote]
Jazz - Birth of the Cool by Miles Davis
I think Kind of Blue is more often recommended but I prefer Birth of the Cool as The One Jazz Album You Must Own. Better yet get both. Alternatively you can go with John Coltrane’s soulful A Love Supreme.
[/quote] Love Supreme is good. But Birth of the Cool :no-no: IMO “Kind of Blue” is the Shitzzzz. Fo Rezzzal.

[quote]Easy Listening - What the fuck do you want this on your iPod for?![/quote] Barbar Striesand, Fleetwood Mac and all them get this classification.

[quote]Soundtracks - The Collection: 40 Years of Film Music by John Barry
Soundtracks are kind of hit and miss, but this collection has some of John Barry’s best work covering a broad range of styles all performed by the same orchestra. He is one hell of a composer.[/quote] UMMM

And TM, the IPod has 60 beautiful GBs :yay: and thanks for Nina Simone. Totally forgot about her. I haven’t listened to much but I want it there for exposure.

Thanks guys for pitching in. Just trying to broaden the scope.

And screw rolling stone’s list. No offense but it’s as bad as AFI’s top 100 films. :s :noway:

TM= Just caught the Micheal Franks part in your post. :bravo: Now that’s gooood music for a sunday afternoon. That man is sweet.

look for “inspiration information” by Shuggie Otis… he was well ahead of his time. Very eclectic… and one of those albums that people who are into genres get into.

Nick Cave: Murder Ballads.
Leonard Cohen: everything.

Nirvana: in Utero

Yes - Close To The Edge

Jethro Tull - Aqualung / Thick As A Brick / A Passion Play (sorry, I’m a junkie)

Bad Religion - Tested

Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards

Rush - Hemispheres

Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Live Rust

Holy Cow! Don’t that Rickie Lee pic look an awful lot like one of our Forumosans?!

Alison Krauss and Union Station!

Alison Krauss and Union Station![/quote]

I was thinkin’ more along the lines of these: