Must I be quiet in a bookstore here?

how couldn’t they learn, the way taiwanese people swear they make new yorkers look restrained.

You mean they swear here? :shock:

Man, I’ve got to learn more Mandarin.

How often does it happen? I’m fairly sensitive to such things, but don’t such behaviour very often, especially in Taipei. Funny enough, I’ve seen foreigners on the MRT start striking up conversations with Taiwanese, so they can practice their beginner-level Mandarin.

How often does it happen? I’m fairly sensitive to such things, but don’t such behaviour very often, especially in Taipei. Funny enough, I’ve seen foreigners on the MRT start striking up conversations with Taiwanese, so they can practice their beginner-level Mandarin.[/quote]

Ya’ll need to get out into the country. Just this mornin’ I had me a middle aged dork a hollerin’ “Good Morning, How are YOU, I’M fine and you” and as he was leavin’ “Atogah”. What a prick.

I’ll guarantee you it was just a case of screwing around with the foreigner. They would never had said anything if you had been Taiwanese because a local would have had a shrieking conniption fit if anyone had dared to complain.

Hogg, I hear you. Two words: Sling shot (hang on, maybe that should be one word). It’s cheap, efficient, easily discardable, and a good way to get rid of those month-old leftovers in the fridge.

Forget the slingshot…bringing back a personal favorite from 1st grade…a flexible plastic spoon does the trick just as well and it looks innocuous if someone comes looking for the flinger.

The shaken can of coke also does wonders, if you can get close enough to the offender. Nothing like being really sticky in this sticky weather.

Agreed. At the school where I used to teach English, my co-workers and I would walk around to the other side of the building and sit on the steps to smoke during our breaks. We constantly got complaints from people in the building and the security guard for sitting out there and smoking (interestingly it wasn’t from the school, because we were out of sight of any parents, so it wasn’t about the kids or parents seeing or anything like that). Every day I saw plenty of sandal-wearing, betel nut chewing local yokels smoking out there, and no one ever said a word to them … it’s only because we were foreigners. Sure it’s ok for grandpa to directly blow his smoke right in the face of his grandkid, but god forbid a foreigner might sit on a step somewhere for a quick smoke! :x