Must read on the prospects of an invasion by the PRC

I think the world would care. :smiley:

Not true. They’re not gonna want it if it’s literally uninhabitable. They want the value from Taiwan.

Many are saying US and Japan will intervene. In the world of nukes, two nuclear powers have never gone to war because of the end result. So there is no way USA starts a hot war with China over anything. That’s the reason they built those militarized islands, everyone complained but other than sending a few ships by nothing happened to China.
Heck, Russia was paying money to kill soldiers in Afghanistan plus the proxy war in Syria and what is the states doing about that.

1 Like

It’s becomes 100x tougher when you’re dealing with irrational people like the CCP, much like terrorism.

Deaths - don’t care.
Money - don’t care.

Use - don’t care

If they decide they just “want” it, there’s nothing more to reason as to “oh but what if people hate us or everything is destroyed?”. In their minds, they’ll thinking of the next 1000 years, not 5,10 or 50. They’ll be thinking we need an entire “Chinese sphere” around large areas.

Don’t be surprised if their thinking is that the entire Asia should be China.

That’s the most dangerous thought. You can’t reason with it. Only thing you can do is get support and fight. Taiwan cannot fight no matter what anyone says. It doesn’t have the capability. The constant focus of feasibility of a marine invasion is pointless - if someone wants they will attack. Heck, 5 nukes will devastate the island. Problem is for Taiwan there is too much to lose, and with a dysfunctional world as is today, the future is bleak.

1 Like

If one thinks as hyperbolically as you do, sure. But who in government anywhere is predicting such a catastrophe? :ponder:

Not one but FIVE nukes no less.

You still didn’t answer my question. Why does China want Taiwan?

1 Like

Not to detract from your main point, but the US will be moving memory chip production domestically.

For face. Taiwan has crapped on them for years. It’s all just ego shit. Same with Hong Kong. If they didn’t put their foot down with all the protests they assume they’d look weak in the eyes of the world.

We all know how much it irks them when other people hurt the feelings of the Chinese people.

2 Likes

I don’t think the leadership in China is that simple minded, there are a lot of smart people there and they don’t all have the same ideas, agendas. I don’t believe there will be any military action unless Taiwan proclaims independence or something. The price is too high, has always been. The scenario in the article above kind of eased my mind a bit. It ain’t that difficult to take the island, and, unlike the US, China has zero experience invading another country on that kind of scale, or any scale really.

2 Likes

This.
I’ve talked to engineers in the American military.

China hasnt gone to war in how long?

USA is constantly going to war.

If China invaded, allies will start firing from Japan, Korea and Australia.

Personally, don’t think the US will send troops o~ the ground.

I’ve never read anything but the contrary. Strangling Taiwan economically and cutting off the internet is much easier than forcibly taking it. An amphibious landing on Taiwan in numbers large enough to pacify the local populace is a human dolphin slaughter of epic proportions. The only sons of only sons splattered across the internet like that little dead kid in Italy a few years back. I believe that the strong possibility of things like this happening keep the John Boltons of the CCP held in check by their more stable peers.

1 Like

They’d have to fire up the Combat Zone again.

1 Like

Of course they have great people there. I’m not denying that. And they do understand diplomacy, warfare and economics very well. But hey, so did the Nazis. They had great people in the administration. But you need only one or two crazy people right? Even the best and brightest are willing to follow them aka today’s White House.

What real need did hitler have - lebensraum. Germany is huge. They could have easily built more, have trade with others. Any reasonable person next to him would have advised him that we can achieve growth over time - building relationships etc. But he chose to discard all that advice and just do what he thought was right for his people.

Similarly, for whatever reason, someone in China may think the same. History has taught us it happens.

Taiwan is in a precarious position today. And no, the US or other nations don’t really care. If they really did, they’d not stoop so low to appease China over decades. I’d even go so far as to say that if you really care about protecting so called ideals like democracy etc. - why not place missiles and a few nukes in Taiwan. They had no problem placing them in say Romania or other sites in Europe.

https://cnduk.org/resources/united-states-nuclear-weapons-europe/

Will Taiwan be in a much stronger position of deterrence against a nuclear armed foe like China just miles away, with a few nukes in its own kitty? I think so.

The USA has Japan and Korea. They don’t need the direct threat of stationing a battle group here.

They’re a massive political party that rides the spines of 800,000,000 peasants. They all suck.

1 Like

Well care maybe, but do something about it? China has already destroyed 3 people’s: Tibet, Uighur and Hong Kong.

How about upload though…
I thought that was the problem

Yeah, however the sad reality is that geopolitically, not much another country can do about that.

Taiwan is not the same.

1 Like

Is it really though? Why not return ALL former areas of China, including Korea, Indochina and Mongolia?

But still. @DesiInTaipei, you didn’t answer my question yet.