My bad back

I have a problem with my back. There is a dull aching pain that I can feel in my back and in my chest, near my heart. I have been to what I think was a chiropractor, who first gave me acupuncture (no effect), then a massage with attempts to crack my bones into place. This had no effect, so they used a hard instrument with a curved edge to rub some kind of balm into my back and chest. This badly bruised me (but I think it is just a side-effect of the treatment), and they gave me some sticky muscle patches. They asked me to come back the next day whereupon they did electrolsis acupuncture, and more realignment. I cound hear my bones cracking as they jerked my neck, pressed my spine and stretched me whilst jerking up my neck. The pain went away, but when I got home it just came back again.

I use a computer quite a lot, and grade a lot of homework while hunched over a desk. Today a bought a swivel chair from IKEA called a Bonny (to replace my hard dining room chair, and it is very comfortable and I suppose it will help.

I will also go to the hospital in the morning. Still, I would like to know if anyone has had similar experiences and what worked for you (if it did at all). Thanks in advance for the advice…

First, how old are you? Do you have any history of heart and or back problems? When is the last time you had a very complete physical?
This is very important. Don’t skimp on this. Get a complete physical!!

[quote=“Dragonbones”]First, how old are you? Do you have any history of heart and or back problems? When is the last time you had a very complete physical?
This is very important. Don’t skimp on this. Get a complete physical!![/quote]

I am 32, and I occasionally have the same back problem. However, it usually goes away by itself after about 2 weeks. I last had a medical in September, but that was for my ARC, so I don’t think it was a comprehensive medical.

I’ve had a bad back since age 17 (I’m 41) but it has never felt like an aching near my heart, which is why I worry for you. I’d VERY strongly recommend going to a cardiologist at a big hospital for a thorough exam in this area. Some things aren’t worth taking chances. Don’t avoid doing it out of denial’ rather, doing it will allow you to relax, since chances are it won’t be anything serious.

For me, my bad back is exacerbated mainly through sitting for long periods without good lumbar support. Good firm support, and frequent breaks are enough to avoid spasms. Note that chiropractic - type treatments often only result in temporary relief. Although some such docs are good, I personally think others are quacks. Get a good cardiogram done, and a thorough blood check. It’s cheap, and will most likely merely allow you to breathe easy. But if there IS a problem, it will let you take vital action early, which could save your life.

I have a herniated disc and I am quite convinced that a tui na therapist here was at least partly responsible for causing it. It’s a long story, but I’d be careful with those quacks if I were you.

[quote=“Reaperjim”][quote=“Dragonbones”]First, how old are you? Do you have any history of heart and or back problems? When is the last time you had a very complete physical?
This is very important. Don’t skimp on this. Get a complete physical!![/quote]

I am 32, and I occasionally have the same back problem. However, it usually goes away by itself after about 2 weeks. I last had a medical in September, but that was for my ARC, so I don’t think it was a comprehensive medical.[/quote]

I had recurring back pain for years. Recently found out it was anklyosing Spondalytus (spinal arthritus). Before it was diagnosed, it gave me so many pains I could only sleep 4 hours a night…for a year. Ugh!

Have a complete physical. Get you bloodwork checked for autoimmune diseases.

Just throwing this out there… gall stones will give you pain in the back and chest.

Good luck with the back. It does sound potentially serious because you should not have pain in front and back. I had this from a strong punch that dislodged a rib both in front and back, I figure you would know if there had been a recent strong impact!

I suffered near constant upper back pain for years. Chest pain went away in around a month and left a small lump that still remains .

On a buying trip from Aus to Taiwan with a doctor who specialized in work place problems I was having obvious difficulties and he suggested that when I am on the computer I concentrate on dropping my shoulders.

Almost totally solved the problem. So simple it was stupid.

Yeah, one tends to remember such things. Boxing?

Yeah, one tends to remember such things. Boxing?[/quote]

No, the last Forumosa HH.

Maybe your back pain is related to trouble with your heart or gall bladder, etc., but more likely it’s related to too many hours at the desk in a bad position and/or a sports or everyday life-related injury. Perhaps you should get a complete physical, but I suspect replacing your chair will have a greater effect on your recovery. Make sure you are not too low or leaning too far to reach your keyboard.

On another recent discussion about back pain I described how I did stretching exercises and went to one of the local clinics for some of the treatment you described. I thought it helped. But, what really helped was the day after such treatments when I took a long hot bath. I would recommend that.

The doctor says it is my seating posture. My spine has been afected just below my shoulders, so the breadth of the pain means that it travels through to my chest. She gave me a blood test as a first step precaution to check my liver etc. I will go back in a week for the results and will probably get a full physical if the blood test reveals nothing. I should mention that I had viral rheumatism in my legs when I was 6.

Doesn’t have to be the heart, I had similar pain a few years back and it turned out to be the muscles in my chest (from not sitting properly in front of a desk, which could also be the reason for the back pain).

However to be sure you should see a doctor and get it checked out.

When you are typing. (Now for instance)

1. Check if your head is hanging forward on your neck like one of those dashboard wobbly head dogs.

2. Check if your shoulders are bunched a bit as you type.

Head hung forward on your neck is lack of muscle tension and can result in severe cramps as your body tries to compensate and save you from slipping a cervical disc. (pull your head back up gently)

Bunched shoulders are just constant tension resulting in locking up muscles into hard little painful bundles. (drop them and get massage)

Note that some electronics stores here sell little TENS machines. You pop a pad each side of the tense muscle then turn the current on for a 15 minute session during which the muscles are contracted and relaxed electronically. This and/ or massage can work miracles.

I’ve been seeing an awesome Chiropracter for the last 3 weeks now. He’s A californian guy based on Chungshiao east. Ultra qualified and profeessional in teh western sense. He won’t suddenly jump in and start cracking bones- He’s thorough, examines and x rays you irst and explains how he will help you.
I don’t have his number right now but a search on Google for Chiropracters Taipei and Griffin will give you his number and address. He’s not cheap, but I’m pretty much cured after 4 years of misery. Call him if you want your pain to go away.

[quote=“dougal1”]I’ve been seeing an awesome Chiropracter for the last 3 weeks now. He’s A californian guy based on Zhongxiao east. Ultra qualified and profeessional in teh western sense. He won’t suddenly jump in and start cracking bones- He’s thorough, examines and x rays you irst and explains how he will help you.
I don’t have his number right now but a search on Google for Chiropracters Taipei and Griffin will give you his number and address. He’s not cheap, but I’m pretty much cured after 4 years of misery. Call him if you want your pain to go away.[/quote]

Dr GRIFFIN Mark 886 (2) 8771 3516

I will check him out.

BTW, how much have you paid over the time you have seen him?

What are you talking about? Dr Mark Griffin has a large banner at the top of this very website!

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=29331

First off, I’m in Tainan. (I’m 29 - 30 in May)

I’ve had on and off back pain since high school. The last time it bothered me was about two years ago, and as usual it cleared up after a week or so. But now, I’ve had this pain for about three weeks and there’s no sign of relief yet. It’s always a pain in my lower back and it feels like a slipped disc (herniated disc?) is pinching a nerve, because I have a pain that shoots down the back of my left leg and my left butt cheek (hip). When I walk I limp slightly because of this pain in the leg and back.

Problem - No idea who to see or contact in Tainan that I CAN TRUST. And slightly apprehensive with having my back wrenched around. BUT, I just can’t take this pain anymore!!

Any suggestions?

I’d still suggest learning how to relax. Pain perception varies a lot among people. It’s because of their disposition. Yeah you could break it down into other bodily chemicals like cortisol or neurotransmitter. Bother if you want; it is kind of fun to read about. :slight_smile:

But really relaxing helps so much. Read about the amazing things yogis or monks can do. Memory, bodily perception including pain, need of sleep, and hunger among other things can be controlled so well. Monks (probably in an alpha brain wave state if I remember correctly) can sweat while sitting in the snow naked. They can also recite entire books from memory.

I’ve been dealing with back pain for over 5 years. It’s pretty serious. I can’t sit or stand at all without pain. Only when I constantly move around for many hours a day does it start to get better.

I’ve noticed that when I’m relaxed and happy (I have had a zen like state in my life before but it’s not often these days) when I was always happy, almost never hungry (I was doing a near stavation diet back then), and barely slept. My pain pretty much disappeared. I also breathed a lot better then and didn’t need to think about it.

Any type of therapy or exercise will help. But relaxing will probably help more than any other. Is it easy? Not really, some people are monks their whole life and never learn.

Some things I do are yoga and reflexology. The foot paths at every park are really great.

The simplest thing you could do might just be more walking.

I’m starting to be of the opinion that my matress is the biggest problem. When I’ve slept somewhere else for a day or two my back starts to recover and even feel normal. One night back in my bed and I’m back to painful square one.

Maybe I just need to get a new mattress, but I’d also like to see a good chiropractor in Tainan. Just wish I could find one… :s