My country doesn't allow me to be stateless!

I’m from Sweden and Swedish laws forbid Swedish citizens to renounce their citizenship unless another citizenship can be obtained immediately. Thus it’s impossible for Swedish people to become stateless.

This is a requirement to become Taiwanese citizen, but this is unfair to Swedish people since our country forbids this.

Is it possible to renounce ones citizenship and obtain a Taiwanese one at the same time?

Why on earth would you want to do that?

Kenneth

Sure I don’t want to be stateless, who wants to be that?

However the Taiwanese immigration laws requires me to become stateless before immigrating here, which my country doesn’t allow.

Thus Swedish people cannot immigrate to Taiwan, which is something that I want.

There are only TWO Swedish people that have PARC in Taiwan, the Swedish community might exceed 100 people now (less than 25 when I arrived here). We are not many but growing…

whoopee…who the f gives a shxt, u’ve asked this question 29 different times, each time slightly modifying the original question…

:unamused:

–edit: i’ve edited the picture to make it easier for u to understand. talk to a lawyer…thats my advice for u…how’s this…save some of MY bandwidth by not posting the same question again please.

Do you know where I can buy Abba’s Greatest Hits in the original Swedish language versions? Thanks in advance.

PeiAn, you need to talk to a legal professional. PM me and I will you refer someone who has helped foreigners get Taiwan citizenship.

I believe that Japanese also have this problem. Artilce 9 says that if you cannot certify that you have renounced your nationality, and the Ministry of Foreigen Affairs verifies this, you are exempt from giving up your nationality. So there is a loophole. Good luck!

mungacious, your remarks are not helping me any thing, so please refrain from replying and wasting precious computer ink

Falcon, didn’t even know that ABBA sang in Swedish… never heard that… but I can ask around (send private messages in the future)

Feiren, would love to get some professional help here. I am preparing my steps to ask the Swedish government to change their laws on not allowing Taiwanese people to immigrate due to unfair laws in Taiwan for Swedish immigrants (similar as Hartzell did in Taiwan).

Note that Sweden was the first country to recognize the mainland, soon after Sweden broke ties with Taiwan all other countries followed. Sweden is usually very fast on human rights and equality laws so I belive that if Sweden make a law change to exempt Taiwanese immigrants Taiwanese people might in a few years be totally locked down from any country! Once this happens they need to open up their own immigration laws. This is in my opinion the ONLY way to make a law change in Taiwan.

Australia has the same rules but Immediatley is not necessarily in 24 hours in within a reasonable time frame to complete the processing requirements… I was stateless nearly 2 years with the Immediate Effect rule heheheh

Under the UK Nationality Law it is six months. If you haven’t got your new citizenship by then you revert to being British again.

Agnetha (the blonde one) sang in Swedish before she joined ABBA, she had a hit with “Jag Var Sa Kar” in 1968

If Sweden doesn’t recognise the ROC, then won’t they consider you stateless even after you become an ROC citizen?

deleted

New Zealand seems to have the same law as Sweeden, you must already have citizenship in another country in order to renounce you NZ citizenship. But, wait a damn minute I hear you say, doesn’t Taiwan need you to renounce your citizenship in order to become Taiwanese, dah dah dah, shot in the foot again.

Then there is the question of getting your original citizenship back after you become Taiwanese. Some countries allow this. New Zealand ---- I don’t know if this is possible.

Why would I consider this, well, a P.A.R.C has too many restrictions on when you can leave the country and for how long. If you are out of the country for too long, well, you start all over again.

A JFRV and ARC is pretty good, but limited to three years at a time, and should anything happen to the missus you’ll be out on your ass because the reason for your stay isn’t here anymore.

It seems that being a foreign resident in Taiwan is all a state of limbo, something that I find difficult to live with, but not a good enough reason to leave. I’d consider becoming a citizen, but, to be honest, for entirely selfish reasons. It would make life much more convenient for me in Taiwan. However, I wouldn’t want to do military service, for one it’s not safe, and secondly, the army in Taiwan is a dangerous place. I also don’t really care enough about Taiwan in general to give up that much time and money to serve a country that refuses me some very basic human rights. I want to be here for my family and my job, that’s it. Come to think of it, I wouldn’t be willing to serve in the military for New Zealand either. This may not be what others would consider noble and patriotic, but that is how I feel and I will not make any apologies for it. When the average Taiwanese male would get out of service if he could I feel that I should follow along with this custom and be a little more local about it. It’s not about loyalty, it’s about convenience. I would become Taiwanese to make things more convenient for myself and give myself more options, but only on the condition that I could actually get my NZ citizenship back. Who wants to go back to their own country and need a visa to get in? Not me.

Well, the final email is back from my government in New Zealand, and NO, they don’t allow you to be stateless. They’ll gladly allow me to give up NZ citizenship when I have Taiwan citizenship, NOW WHAT IS THE POINT IN THAT!!! If I already had Taiwanese citizenship I wouldn’t be giving up my NZ citizenship.

Why is it that a seemingly free government can stop its citizens from being free to do what they want. Shoot, giving up your citizenship doesn’t hurt anyone. Their only defense is that only a handful of citizens have actually done it.

[quote=“Bassman”]Well, the final email is back from my government in New Zealand, and NO, they don’t allow you to be stateless. They’ll gladly allow me to give up NZ citizenship when I have Taiwan citizenship, NOW WHAT IS THE POINT IN THAT!!! If I already had Taiwanese citizenship I wouldn’t be giving up my NZ citizenship.

Why is it that a seemingly free government can stop its citizens from being free to do what they want. Shoot, giving up your citizenship doesn’t hurt anyone. Their only defense is that only a handful of citizens have actually done it.[/quote]

Bassman Australia has the same policy… but if you approach it the right way I think it can be done. I think the law state that it is reasonable to be in processing and renounce. I would try that.

Anyway call me.

Peian sorry about all the flack and shit you are taking for asking a legitamate question.

However I am thinking we are all asking the question why in God’s name would you renounce your original citizenship to be a second class citizen the rest of your life dependant on the whims of what ever shit for brains president happens to be holding court that term changing laws at will.
You could be left with no citizenship anywhere.
:astonished: DON’T DO IT!!! :astonished:

I love this place too for all its faults, but asking someone to renounce the homeland of their mothers and fathers is just plain stupid, what other countries require this? Anybody…

opps I did not realize he asked one year ago, thanks for bringin’ that to my attention :blush:

Man, you realize he asked the question a full year ago, right? Odds are good he’s made his decision one way or the other by now.

Odds are that he is still fighting this thing and looking for loopholes in the red tape.

Me, forget it, I won’t give up NZ for any country.

What possible advantage is there to becoming an ROC citizen??? To surprise people by pulling out a shenfenzheng? I’m baffled! My Taiwanese wife has got British nationality so she doesn’t have to get visas to travel to Europe and what not… Is it easier for Taiwanese to get into the PRC, maybe?

It can’t be anything to with residence, because you guys (Bassman, STV) have that right anyway through marriage. I just don’t get it.

Right. What would be the advantage of gaining citizenship in a non-sovereign nation such as the ROC? And especially since the local government is requiring you to renounce your original nationality in order to do so?

Certainly you realize that Taiwanese persons do not need to renounce anything when they become citizens of other countries … !!!

Even for those first generation Taiwanese persons who grew up in Canada, U.K., USA, etc. and have held those types of “foreign” passports all their lives, they can obtain ROC nationality without first renouncing their original foreign nationality !!!