My girlfriend doesn't like it when I play computer games

You’re taking 1 incident, really?

So driving is not good - you could die. Sitting at home is not good - what happens if an earthquake happens are you’re buried.

Doing anything isn’t good because something may happen.

You don’t think he was being flippant?

1 Like

I love playing video games. I am 35, married and with a kid. I am so busy these days that I often forget to play for weeks or months. Strangely though, it’s my wife who reminds me that the PS4 or PS5 is collecting dust.

She worries about my mental state if I don’t play games for too long. In fact, most of my games in recent years were bought by her as a gift e.g. Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War, Sekiro etc… I stopped buying games for myself a while ago.

Her flexibility on this subject might have something to do with her being a Filipino. She doesn’t play games anymore but did tell me that when she was younger she’d often use her office computer back in Philippines to secretly play DOTA during work. :laughing:

I think it’s a fun activity. I prefer it to watching TV, as it’s interactive and requires higher brain activity. It’s been helpful to me in learning English as well (especially when I was a kid).

I think if played in moderation it’s not that harmful. I find it less of a waste of time than browsing facebook etc…

Playing video games doesn’t mean it should take time away from other important things. On the rare weekends that I do play, I don’t mind pausing the game to do chores, cook, take my family out for a walk, ride bicycle, go shopping, play with my daughter etc…

I wouldn’t choose playing games over any of my duties as a husband or father. I think as long as your partner/spouse is reasonable on the subject, there is no need to abuse the privilege. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

For every guy that falls off a cliff there is a guy who dies from marathon gaming.

Probably.

1 Like

Playing killer-games also makes you wanna shoot up a school or something. :clown_face:

More examples? No problem!

Doing sports is dangerous! Just like playing computer games makes you obese and die from earthquakes!

There must be a secret mass grave of gamer kids in Taiwan.
US need to recognize genocide on them next. Evil games publisher must be held accountable.

1 Like

I play the occasional round of World of Warships or some Overcooked with the wife on the Switch, when I have time on the weekend. I’m looking forward to play together with my son when he’s old enough.

1 Like

Games publishers and bike manufacturers both! Do we really want more deaths !?!

Gaming is just another hobby. It is not dangerous or harmful.
Extremes exist and need to be taken care of. Just like anything else, enjoy in moderation.

2 Likes

Obesity and Social awkwardness is nature’s way to balance the strengths gamers get from being killing machines.

Actually… Things like that can help. If you can find something that both enjoy.

A friend of mine (ahem) had good success by switching from PUBG to COD Warzone. The latter is playable by controller (not just Mouse and keyboard), which the wife enjoys.

Lots of family fragging ensued, and they lived happily ever after.

2 Likes

When not used in moderation, gaming is an addictive distraction, a way of not dealing with life. Gaming goes well with smoking weed. Double up on that misery distraction, why dontcha. :grin:
It’s the behaviour (which indicates an imbalanced mental state) that’s harmful, not the tool used to access the avoidance behaviour.
When the fun stops… stop.

1 Like

That’s the point. You can say the same thing about anything.
Watching TV, car tuning, masturbating, whatever…

Vast majority of people can play computer games without any negative effects. Why is it always portrayed as bad?
Like if you play computer games, you can’t have a life, girlfriend and are automatically unhealthy/obese.

1 Like

What’s wrong with masturbating?

1 Like

Within the bounds of a relationship it’s not really a mutual activity, compared with, say, masturbating. :hugs:

Why do all activities have to be mutual when you are in a relationship?
OP and his girl were not even in the same country when she criticized him.

Would it be arguably equally pointless and toxic if OP was interested in solving Sudoku?

3 Likes

They don’t. It’s important to have your own hobbies and interests.

That’s how western news reports it.

However, gaming, is and can be a career path for many. I mean, it makes sense right? Those that understand the product/service are the users. Why hire someone and spend money on getting them up to speed when you can find someone familiar with the product?

Also the problem with getting a new girlfriend :yin_yang:

1 Like

Because of religion and conservative values. Oh you must goto church; wasting time with games !

That’s a very revealing post, Desi. Did you grow up in a house with a lot of discipline?