My landlord is suing me for lost property. Looking for advice

My landlord is suing me for lost property that belonged to him which I, perhaps foolishly, tossed out.

I signed a 1 year lease and moved into a furnished place a few years ago. The contract stated I needed to maintain the TV, the AC units, the washer, and the fridge. Nothing else. The furnishings (beds, sofas, and cabinetry) were very shabby to say the least. Falling apart, or grimy. After living there for a few months I purchased my own furnishings and asked the landlord to take his stuff away. He refused and told me I could pay for a storage space to store his property which I did not want in the apartment I was leasing. This seemed insulting to me. I assumed, since those items were not on the contract I was not obliged to take care of them. I tossed them. Fast forward to the end of my lease. Now the landlord has filed motions with the court to sue me over this lost property. Am I totally screwed? Was my assumption that I would not be liable totally off? Or do I have some legal grounds to argue something in my favor?

Sue you? Not ask you to replace with like furnishings but, sue you? What a :banana:. I have no advice other than donā€™t panic.

[edited by moderator]

I mean usually when u rent a place the agent/ owner ( if you did not go through agency) views the property and makes a list of things that are inside it and asks you to sign it off so that you aknowledge they were there and you must resturn them in good condition. If it is not stated in the contract and you did not sign any additional papers stating that you are obliged to return those back I donā€™t think he has the right to request them back let alone sue you for them. You might want to consult a lawyer just in case

I guess the contract mentions to return the property in the state it was when rented.

Like are you serious? You throw away his property and now you have to pay for it. What do you think you throw away his stuff and you donā€™t have to pay it? Just ask him how much and pay. Then drop the caseā€¦

[edited by moderator]

1 Like

Lol

Your landlord made it clear he cares about the stuff(asked you to put it in storage), but you decided to throw it away instead

Iā€™m afraid youā€™ll have to pay.

Are you going home soon. There is not much they can do if you leave.
You planning on staying around. You have no leg to stand on for throwing out his crap. Because when you moved in that was the time for negotiation about removing his broken stuff. Once you agreed to take the place all the stuff became your problem

As the items were not listed on the contract I donā€™t think thereā€™s much he can do. You said you had a verbal agreement with him to throw out the stuff? Did he return your deposit when you left? Could do worse than visit the guys at https://rent.tmm.org.tw/ and get some free legal advice.

Does your landlord pay taxes? If not threaten to report him as leverage.

2 Likes

No, not a problem. Some people get exceptions.

@throwawaythrowaway are you an American Citizen?

Can he prove what was thrown away?
Can he prove YOU did it?

The landlord probably doesnā€™t really care about the stuff you threw out, but you have made him lose face twice. Firstly by telling him that his stuff was shabby. He offered you the chance to save face by storing it elsewhere (my guess is heā€™d have thrown it away anyway after youā€™d moved out and kept your new stuff). Then, you ignored his offer and threw his stuff out.

I think youā€™re going to have to pay out. I assume at a price for buying it new. I would try OTT apologising to him in front of others, say it was a misunderstanding. That might be enough for him to save face.

On the other hand, he might have been genuinely attached to the stuff you threw out.

1 Like

Lol, love how wai guo ren like explaining everything away here using ā€˜faceā€™ā€¦

1 Like

But, isnā€™t it true?

1 Like

Upset a local and see how things pan out for you.

1 Like

Sounds pretty plausible to me :grinning:

No plans to do that.

However I can kind of relate to OP, I am storing a bunch of prehistoric mouldy junk furniture for my landlord, including something which looks like Frankensteinā€™s chair. Unfortunately a lot of these investment properties are also storage for the landlordā€™s junk not wanted in their own premises.

3 Likes

Some even want a room for the junk you can not enter but pay the rent for it.

1 Like

In my defense, I did include an ā€œOn the other handā€ explanation of the landlordā€™s actions. Suing over some supposedly shabby furniture seems a bit excessive, donā€™t you think? Why would anyone go to such lengths when it could easily be taken out of the deposit?