My Taiwanese wife says she can push me to divorce her by getting pregnant by another man

Whatever you decide. There’s no law that says you have to divorce someone under such-and-such a circumstance. In fact if (hypothetically) she does this then the law is entirely on your side. For example you could most likely tell her to bugger off and take whatever property you own jointly, with the support of the law. You could probably claim custody of the kid if you wanted to (although I suppose that depends on whether paternity was definitively established).

It’s not really my business, but if someone is mentioning this sort of thing even in jest, you’re in bigger trouble than you think. Have a careful think about how you’re going to deal with this before she boils down your soul into birds-nest soup. You hold all the legal cards in this situation - if she wants a divorce (and it sounds like she does) she needs your acquiescence to make it happen. It’s not unknown for people in your situation to demand a suitcase of cash to sign divorce papers. If your demands boil down to (a) you need your APRC and (b) you want to keep your savings, that should be easy negotiate.

2 Likes

how far is the leap from this to, say, murder-for-hire? I would tread very carefully and…well actually, I would get divorced immediately if this is not a joke.

1 Like

If this lady is anything like my wife she is just blowing smoke. She is probably under a bit of stress and getting the wrong advice from her friends. You will have to drag her to the court to get a divorce, kicking and screaming.

1 Like

Yup, it’s not unheard of, meaning it could simply be part of the local culture. I don’t have any good suggestions though how to find out if she really means it it not. Depending on her personality, different ways (even just “giving in”) could work or backfire terribly.

understatement of the year (and it’s Dec 31st)

5 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Unhelpful

My understanding is that the laws are not in the spouse’s favor when it comes to cheating. It used to be a spouse could easily file a divorce if the spouse cheated and there was evidence, but that’s not the case. I know of MANY women whose husbands cheated on them (though all of them had kids). The husbands were able to/have been dragging out the divorce for years, usually on the grounds that they keep the son (to hell with the daughters) or the divorce doesn’t happen. Despite piles of evidence and even admissions from the women that cheated with the husband, the courts don’t always budge.

But if your spouse is threatening to get pregnant with another man, RUN AWAY. There’s a chance she’s already sleeping with someone(s) else and is just trying to figure out how to end it. You’ll need evidence of her doing that, but see paragraph 1: there’s a chance the courts won’t care

1 Like

Her grounds for divorce is that she married you to have a family with kids and she can say " He does not want kids, so I wish to marry a man that does."

I would not be surprised if she does not have something prepared already… Therefore, would not care,about your APRC.

Good luck, contact that lawyer.

Hide your assets. Get a lawyer.

5 Likes

It used to be that it was a criminal offence.

By having a child? :ponder:

I think having a child is a big decision and shouldn’t be taken lightly. Especially trying to get knocked up for the purpose of having a divorce.

I think in the context of this situation, she would be making an incredibly stupid decision.

I understand that. However, kids are awesome. They grow up, get jobs and buy you thoughtful gifts for Chrimbo. :wink:

3 Likes

Yes yes. When it’s planned, done rationally, have s*** together etc…

2 Likes

Anyone ask the OP why his marriage is circling the bowl yet? How long have they been married?
How old are they?

Not really our business, is it?

But for the woman to go get pregnant by a stranger to get a divorce… that’s something that can cause a lot of damage and regret.

They need to talk things out and try to find an amicable solution that doesn’t involve such extreme measures.

1 Like

So, now it’s with a stranger? :runaway:

I stopped reading the thread once I saw the KUO & KUO ming pian. :whistle:

I’ve know fellas in bad spots like this. My take: Stick it out for another year. Try not to stick it in. Get yer freedom visa and make like a tree and get out of there.

2 Likes

The original post says that she wants a divorce and she’s so desperate to get one she’ll get herself knocked up to force his hand.

It shouldn’t have to be said that she would be making an incredibly stupid decision.

Hey. I promote his services here. He lets me waste his time with questions that I end up doling back to the community. Everyone wins.

3 Likes

What?

Yes, @Marco does good works. All hail @Marco :notworthy:

Happy New Year!

Well…I thought that, what I interpreted as a jab, was a little unfair.