My terrifying morning - PARENTS OF INFANTS, PLEASE READ THIS

My 11 month old boy woke up this morning at around 5:30. He was strangely still, and very quietly repeating the word “maa-ma. maa-ma.”

He was extremely hot to the touch, and on taking his temperature we found it to be 39.7C (103.5F).

Normally he wakes up in an energetic mood, babbling away in his own unique language, and eager to start crawling all over place looking for electrical cords to pull on, and coins/paperclips/balls of lint on the floor to eat. But he was very calm and lethargic this morning.

A while later, after I had picked him up and was walking around the apartment with him, his body started convulsing, his arms and legs became stiff, and he looked like he was trying to vomit. He also didn’t look like he was breathing properly.

I was very scared.

He came out of it within 30 seconds or so, but he still looked dazed.

My wife and I took him to the hospital, and were relieved to see that even on the way there his temperature was already coming down a bit. All signs at this point are that he has a virus called Roseola, that this virus is very common, and that everything will be fine. As of tonight he still has a fever, but we understand that this is normal, and that it should go away in a few days.

If you have a kid between 5 and 15 months, and you don’t know what Roseola is --or even more importantly, if you don’t know what “febrile seizures” are-- please take just a few minutes to read up on it. These were links that I found particularly helpful, but whatever medical website you trust (or even just wikipedia) will give you the basics.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1173.html
http://www.drgreene.com/21_1087.html

It turns out that almost all children get this virus by the time they are 3 (and that most of us have it living in our bodies right now), but that in many cases it has no outward effect. Many babies do experience the effects though.

For those of you who are familiar with this already, my apologies for the sensationalist title of this thread – a title that I chose in order to get people’s attention. But you have to understand that my target audience here consists of people like me – who have babies but never happened to learn about this. I can’t tell you how much I would have preferred to have read about this yesterday, as opposed to today (after my boy had had the febrile seizure). From what I understand, there is nothing I could have done to prevent it, but it would kept me from being so scared when it happened. Hopefully this post will help a few people who read it (and spend a few minutes reading the links) to at least know what to expect if this happens, and to know that it in almost all cases it is not nearly as dangerous at it looks when you see it for the first time.

Cheers fellow parents,
Hobbes

Yikes! That’d be awful to watch. Hope the little guy is over it quickly.

Hobbes, sorry you had to go thorugh that. That would freak me out too. I’d be half-expecting the kid’s head to spin around.

The same kind of thing happened to my best friend’s wife. The baby had a very high temp and started convulsing. She called her doctor immediately. He said, “Walk around the bed. Is the baby still shaking? No? Ok, walk around the bed again.”

No more shakes. She took the kid to the ER. I can’t imagine trying to get through that calmly.

Glad the boy is ok hobbes.

jds

That’s definitely terrifying! I hope the little guy is up and about, bouncing away tomorrow.

Glad he’s going to be ok. Best wishes.

My daughter hasd had these several times. It always happens when a fever peaks suddenly eg goes up two degrees in a shprt period of time.
The first time it happened was Mother’s day last year, I was carrying her in a sling when she started to feel very hot. Her eyes rolled back in her head and she started convulsing.

I now keep lots of fever meds around and she starts to get hot I give them to her right away , unlike my son where I let a low- grade fever burn. It usually just happens once per illness when the fever first starts.

Pretty scary stuff, glad he’s feeling better now though.

Happened to my kids as well…both.

Freaks you out but if you deal with it, they’ll bounce back just fine.

Nothing yanks the heart strings quite like a crook kid, and you are right Hobbes, they go down so damned hard. Roseala is but one of a raft of horrid weird fever inducing bugs th sweet peas can and frequently do pick up

Crucial to always have some panadol for kids around and understand how to bring a temp down. Bear in mind panadol is one of the most dangerous over the counter medicines, so ALWAYS stick to the directions when using it. However, it is a very good way to lower a temp.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Nothing yanks the heart strings quite like a crook kid, and you are right Hobbes, they go down so damned hard. Roseala is but one of a raft of horrid weird fever inducing bugs th sweet peas can and frequently do pick up

Crucial to always have some panadol for kids around and understand how to bring a temp down. Bear in mind panadol is one of the most dangerous over the counter medicines, so ALWAYS stick to the directions when using it. However, it is a very good way to lower a temp.

HG[/quote]

Acetominophen has the lowest threshhold between a clinically effective dose and overdose of any OTC drug. And Never take it for a hangover.

Oh why oh why don’t they legalese opium? It works a treat on a shitty hangover and is considerably safer.

Cute tyke, by the way, Hobbes. Glad the poor little blighter is back in health.

HG

Hobbes, sorry about the scare you had but glad your son is feeling better. We’ve never had these convulsions with any of our kids, but with four I’m always kind of bracing myself for something horrible to happen.

Thanks for the kind replies, everyone! The little guy now appears to be 100% recovered. The rash, which came right after the fever broke, only lasted a couple days, and didn’t seem to itch or bother him at all. Now you can’t even tell anything happened.

About the only lasting effect from the whole thing at this point is that I now babble on about febrile seizures to anyone who I know has a baby because I know how scary it is to have it happen to your kid if you don’t know what it is. Makes me just that much more annoying at parties ("Yes, Hobbes, we know about those – every responsible parent knows about those – how you were clueless until it happened is the only mystery here… :unamused: ") but I suppose I can live with that :rainbow:

Cheers,
H

Yikes, scary story Hobbes. Glad he’s ok. :slight_smile:

I’ve never experienced the seizures thing, but the heartache many times over.

Good luck with it all.

Hobbes,

So sorry you had to go through that scare… Ours never had that particular problem, but he had plenty of others. That worrying part of parenthood stinks. Glad to know your little one came through in better shape than you did.

Peace

My oldest daughter had them - as my dad is a doc, we called him:

Dad: “Is ner neck stiff?”

Me:“No”

Dad “If her fever gets over 39, call me, if not, get to bed”.

Me: “OK dad”.

Glad your little one is feeling better.
My recollection from our go-round with roseola is that it can also cause complications for unborn babies, so pregnant women should stay away from anyone who has been exposed. Our doc reassured us that it is not highly contagious, but better safe than sorry.

Ours (14 months) has just gone through a roseola week. I’d never heard of this illness before, asked my mum and she said that she couldn’t remember either me or my sister getting it. So am wondering if it’s more of a Taiwan infant thing.

Anyway, she was grumbling a little too much at 3am, so I went to see how she was. Man, she was burning up! So that’s what a temperature of 104 feels like, you could have fried an egg on her forehead. We made her comfortable, but didn’t have any fever meds, yet by the time she went to the doc in the morning the fever had subsided a lot. No febrile convulsions, thankfully - witnessing one of those in the middle of the night WOULD have been nasty.

Small rash last few days, but it’s almost gone now. What an odd illness. :astonished:

it’s amazing how hot a few degrees feels on human flesh.

Roseola is very common, sorry you had to go through it though

Roseola is a generally mild infection that usually affects children between 6 months and 3 years of age, though it occasionally affects adults. It’s extremely common — so common, in fact, that most children have been infected by roseola by the time they enter kindergarten.

mayoclinic.com/health/roseola/DS00452