Mysterious pneumonia cases exploding in Tianjin, China

What is happening in Tianjin? Here’s what I’m reading:

Mysterious pneumonia cases exploding in Tianjin China, emergency rooms are in full capacity, & nurses are overwhelmed with work. It is reported that Tianjin’s children’s hospital currently receives an average of 13,000 patients a day.

Source: https://twitter.com/nthusharon/status/1727462710122885422

“Mysterious pneunomia”? WTF! Dear god please not again. :sob:

Guy

4 Likes

One report out there now:

Guy

2 Likes

M. pneumoniae

Welp. Mystery solved (and no, the M. does not stand for “mysterious”).

Thanks for the article.

4 Likes

My amateur guess would be children haven’t managed to build up natural immunity due to the strict lockdowns.

8 Likes

Nothing new here…this is just something that disappeared temporarily but is now back since everything is back to normal. I assume ~2-3 years of little to no resistances built up will make this winter particularly tough. Here is an article predicting this will occur back in July:

4 Likes
1 Like

FFS, pls not again. CHINAR!!!

4 Likes

Again?

1 Like

The WHO will get to the bottom of this. If there is one thing China fears and listens to, it’s the WHO. Working together, they have a proven track record.

20 Likes

If there is one thing the WHO fears and listens to, it’s China :wink:

12 Likes

Gosh you people are sweet. :blush:

Guy

1 Like

It’s something to do with bottoms?

This is serious.

2 Likes

Bottom masks? Why has nobody considered this?

Since mid-October, WHO said northern China has reported an increase in influenza-like illness compared to the same period in the previous three years. It said the country has systems in place to capture information on trends in illness incidence and to report that data to platforms such as the Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System.

Didn’t the Wuhan virus start in October and then get crazy early the following year?

WHO said that while it seeks additional information, it recommends that people in China follow measures to reduce the risk of respiratory illness, including vaccination; keeping distance from people who are ill; staying home when ill; getting tested and medical care as needed; wearing masks as appropriate; ensuring good ventilation; and regular hand-washing.

Sounds reasonable.

2 Likes

Election season.

3 Likes

New wave and flight closures by CNY. :melting_face:
2024 :tada:

3 Likes

More people have been dying in the last couple of years. I think this trend is likely to continue.

2 Likes

Been there, done that. No thanks!!!

Guy

2 Likes

Must be nice to have such a holistic approach. Details, schmetails.

Guy

The stats have all been provided to date. Generally ignored.