Mysterious pneumonia cases exploding in Tianjin, China

Is this actually real? So much for resting. That’s maniacal, bordering on child abuse.

Their parents: your blood type is B?..

WHY NOT A?!

In all seriousness, I think if the kid is already late into recovery…I can understand why they are doing this. Society even at that age is super competitive and missing even a short amount of time studying can really negatively impact a kid’s future. The stress burden from coming back to a mountain of homework/falling behind might very well surpass the amount of stress from studying while recovering in a hospital.

4 Likes

Feigl-dingbat was and is one of the world’s biggest bullshit merchants. Pretty much everything that came out of his mouth over the last couple of years was a lie, or some wildly-exaggerated “we’re all going to die unless XYZ” pronouncement. The picture may well be “real” (ie., not staged for the cameras), but I doubt it’s exactly what he claims it to be. “Missing context”, as the fact checkers like to say.

3 Likes

Definitely not a reliable source. That’s probably a picture from a bushiban or something.

Yeah, I’m not a fan of his. But on the other hand, I can see China being demented enough to do that.

That’s definitely a hospital. Maybe a staff meeting room or something. It seems they ran out of space in the ER so decided to move some kids into the meeting room, and what better way to keep a bunch of kids seated quietly than ask them to take out their homework?

Also, this just goes to show how long they’ve been waiting to see the doctor. It’s standard practice to give everyone an IV when they use the ER which means they might not be sick enough to call in sick the next day, so they don’t want to waste time sitting there doing nothing.

4 Likes

Standard practice in China?

Yes, and here in Taiwan. I sprained my back and went to the ER, and first thing they did was give me an IV.

It’s also standard practice in China and Taiwan to go to the ER even if you’re not that sick (for example, a strained back😅)

It isn’t standard here. I’ve been a few times and people weren’t hooked up to IVs as standard .

3 Likes

What has changed in recent years as opposed to tens of thousands of years in human evolution? We dealt with constantly evolving viruses and bacteria just fine in the past.

4 Likes

Antibiotics

No mate, they kept wiping us out and our guts were full of worms. Now we don’t have worms but we are rubbish at dealing with microbes etc. Hay fever is a side effect of antibiotics. But its still better than shitting out intestinal worms twice a day before inevitably dying of dysentry etc

3 Likes

Maybe it’s only standard for illnesses and injuries above a certain level, which is still a much lower level than in North America.

Most people here go to the ER when they have a tummy ache.

2 Likes

Why do you say “undiagnosed”?

It’s M. Pneumoniae which is a known disease. It just happens to be spreading more seriously this year.

OK, I’ll get straight to the point. Lockdowns have created this specific situation.

2 Likes

It’s also common to put people on an IV drip to give them a little “pep me up” (used to be common in Taiwan too). Color me sceptical.

LOL, no they don’t.

One of my elementary students is absent today, just found out she’s in hospital due to pneumonia. Probably unrelated to that outbreak, but no doubt some parents are panicking.

2 Likes

You’re interpreting my post too literally, as usual.

How so?

Children have lower natural immunity

How?

I’m not following you. Children continued to eat dirt, lick surfaces, stick their fingers up their noses, not wash their hands… Of course, they didn’t interact with other grubby children as much, but they continued to be grubby little oiks.

Pneumonia has been around since Jesus was a boy. It dipped during the pandemic, but it was clearly still there. Now it is being given a chance to thrive again. Pneumonia kills. It is nothing new.

1 Like