N00b Introduction (longish - dumbish)

Greeting Forumosans! My mom always told me to introduce myself in public situations, so before I unload with a bunch of questions, I thought I’d say hi. Mom also told me to never arrive at a gathering empty handed. So I brought a jug of habu sake from Okinawa for those who are so inclined, a fifth of The Macallan (16 y.o.) for those who aren’t and strawberry lemonade (strawberries are from the back yard) for all others. Grab a glass and gather 'round.

My name is Rob. I’ve been lurking for a couple of weeks and found the site very helpful. I’m currently living in the southwest Idaho, USA area. I’ve been here for around 15 years. Prior to that I lived in Washington state for a dozen or so. And before that, I was a military brat. My mom is Okinawan and I was born there and have been back a handful of times in my adult life. In my professional life, I’m a scientist for an MNC (in your lingo) or a big company in regular speak. In my real life, I’m a sport and dirt bike riding dad who likes to teach his girls how to play golf, tie flies, play guitar, bass or drums, barbecue brisket and cuss at the Raiders, Mariners, Sonics, Cougars and Huskies. (Translation for those not from the western US - Oakland American Football team, Seattle baseball, Seattle basketball, Washington State University sports, University of Washington sports.)

I’ve read through many of the threads in this discussion going back a couple of years at least. I’ve done the searches as best I could and came up with a few more answers to my list of questions. I’ve looked all over the net and talked to a few people in my area. I’m not a message board neophyte, just new to this neighborhood. I’m already in guanxi (I’m trying to get my Taiwan groove on) deficit to you kids but hope to turn it around in due time. Immediate contributions would probably come in motorcycle and music discussions. I know squat (poo, diddly, zip, nada, nothing) about getting a cell phone, settling disputes with neighbors, the political inclinations of betel nut girls, where to find big undies, overcoming the smell of choudofu or durian, all the ways to spell Keelung road or if the different spellings put you in a different place, whether or not “they” truly like foreigners, why the old women stare or how to get around in Taiwan.

After all this, why am I coming out? I need to know if “expat with an expense account” is a persona non grata (unwelcome individual) around these Forumosa parts?

I may be able to help you decide. Am I an a$$? Only in the privacy of my home. More like a dumba$$ than an a$$hole. Am I an ugly American? I’m staunchly supportive of the men and women who serve, would die for my country if called on and despise the foreign policy of my government (liberal or conservative). I am on my best behavior when overseas and go out of my way to be gracious to visitors to my country. I want people to know that there are good people in the US but will keep my political, social and religious opinions to myself when visiting. Am I a snooty rich boy? Not on your life. We live a fairly simple life in a small Idaho town. If I’m not at work, I’m at home with the wife and kids and try to engage in leisure activities that all of us can enjoy (other than pulling over a ton on a deserted Idaho highway or at a track day on an Italian twin). No, Italian twins don’t make you rich. Am I a snooty academic? Nope, I chew tobacco, listen to hair metal and prog rock, wrench on my motorcycles, do my own taxes, mow my own lawn, raise my own kids, love on my only wife, worked for my tuition for my degrees and help my elderly neighbors when their cats get lost or a fence needs mending. Am I a wordy ba$tard? You bet, if it helps make my case or makes someone/anyone laugh.

So, knowing more than you wanted to know about a former lurker, can I play or should I slink away?

Thanks for your time.

Rob.

[quote=“rtc_id”]Greeting Forumosans! My mom always told me to introduce myself in public situations, so before I unload with a bunch of questions, I thought I’d say hi. Mom also told me to never arrive at a gathering empty handed. So I brought a jug of habu sake from Okinawa for those who are so inclined, a fifth of The Macallan (16 y.o.) for those who aren’t and strawberry lemonade (strawberries are from the back yard) for all others. Grab a glass and gather 'round.

My name is Rob. I’ve been lurking for a couple of weeks and found the site very helpful. I’m currently living in the southwest Idaho, USA area. I’ve been here for around 15 years. Prior to that I lived in Washington state for a dozen or so. And before that, I was a military brat. My mom is Okinawan and I was born there and have been back a handful of times in my adult life. In my professional life, I’m a scientist for an MNC (in your lingo) or a big company in regular speak. In my real life, I’m a sport and dirt bike riding dad who likes to teach his girls how to play golf, tie flies, play guitar, bass or drums, barbecue brisket and cuss at the Raiders, Mariners, Sonics, Cougars and Huskies. (Translation for those not from the western US - Oakland American Football team, Seattle baseball, Seattle basketball, Washington State University sports, University of Washington sports.)

I’ve read through many of the threads in this discussion going back a couple of years at least. I’ve done the searches as best I could and came up with a few more answers to my list of questions. I’ve looked all over the net and talked to a few people in my area. I’m not a message board neophyte, just new to this neighborhood. I’m already in guanxi (I’m trying to get my Taiwan groove on) deficit to you kids but hope to turn it around in due time. Immediate contributions would probably come in motorcycle and music discussions. I know squat (poo, diddly, zip, nada, nothing) about getting a cell phone, settling disputes with neighbors, the political inclinations of betel nut girls, where to find big undies, overcoming the smell of choudofu or durian, all the ways to spell Keelung (Jilong) road or if the different spellings put you in a different place, whether or not “they” truly like foreigners, why the old women stare or how to get around in Taiwan.

After all this, why am I coming out? I need to know if “expat with an expense account” is a persona non grata (unwelcome individual) around these Forumosa parts?

I may be able to help you decide. Am I an a$$? Only in the privacy of my home. More like a dumba$$ than an a$$hole. Am I an ugly American? I’m staunchly supportive of the men and women who serve, would die for my country if called on and despise the foreign policy of my government (liberal or conservative). I am on my best behavior when overseas and go out of my way to be gracious to visitors to my country. I want people to know that there are good people in the US but will keep my political, social and religious opinions to myself when visiting. Am I a snooty rich boy? Not on your life. We live a fairly simple life in a small Idaho town. If I’m not at work, I’m at home with the wife and kids and try to engage in leisure activities that all of us can enjoy (other than pulling over a ton on a deserted Idaho highway or at a track day on an Italian twin). No, Italian twins don’t make you rich. Am I a snooty academic? Nope, I chew tobacco, listen to hair metal and prog rock, wrench on my motorcycles, do my own taxes, mow my own lawn, raise my own kids, love on my only wife, worked for my tuition for my degrees and help my elderly neighbors when their cats get lost or a fence needs mending. Am I a wordy ba$tard? You bet, if it helps make my case or makes someone/anyone laugh.

So, knowing more than you wanted to know about a former lurker, can I play or should I slink away?

Thanks for your time.

Rob.[/quote]

Most welcome kind Sir. We could use more like you. Now, I like both sake and Macallan. What’s a poor Toe to do? I await the day we may quaff carouses.

ToeOpens

There’s no need to ask whether you’re going to be accepted here. Just join in.

You didn’t tell us why you are joining us–moving here for work? When?
I think your biggest challenge is going to be moving with the family. There are those here who have done so, and who will have sage advice. Anyway, tell us why and when you’re coming, so that we can help you if the need arises.

BTW, Toe generally hates Americans, so you must have won him over if he welcomed you.

What an interesting first post. Welcome to Forumosa indeed. You tie flies, eh? Can you do it without a vice? Me neither, although my dad taught me how. AND Italian twins? Damn! I had an Italian triple back in the 70s, but it did a lot more than a ton.

Three makes a quorum in my family, so here goes…

Toe - have both, but I’d go with the Macallan first. Habu sake leaves a copper/metallic aftertaste that would otherwise mask the subtleties of a good single malt. I think it’s the snake’s venom

Tomas - thanks for the welcome. It’s funny how good spirits (liquid and otherwise) will change some folk’s attitude

Sandman - I can only tie with a vise. Might be handy to learn to do it without when I’m on a river after losing my last #20 PMD. Actually, the 'priller has done 146 MPH, but I dial way down on the road.

The deal with me is that my company is in need of a homegrown techie to go over to our Taipei sales and marketing office to support our Asian (Taiwan/China/Korea) customer base at an engineering level. We have nobody from headquarters in Taiwan and don’t have the time to bring someone from over there up to speed.

Seems simple enough. My wife and 2 daughters are on board. The boss says me and the little mrs. can take a scouting trip for a week in the next month to check the lay of the land. Based on the scouting trip, we make our final decision. It’s taken weeks just to get enough info to commit to the look see visit.

I shouldn’t have to worry about money. The company will cover all living expenses. That being said, my biggest concern is for my 3 girls. I’m approaching this as I would a trip to Seattle or Chicago. When we go there as a troupe, my guard is up, we know where to go and we know how to stay out of trouble. I don’t know if I can keep that up for a year or more in Taipei and we don’t speak Mandarin. I don’t expect the locals in the office to babysit us forever. I’m piss scared.

If I don’t do this, I’ve just denied my girls a real chance at seeing things from a completely different perspective. We have the chance to live a lifestyle vastly different than what we have now. There’s more to life than American suburbia. I lucked out as a kid to be able to see and experience Okinawa and much of the US care of the Department of Defense. My wife worked for the same outfit as I do and during her tenure, she got weeklong glimpses of the Far East and Europe. She’s ready for more. What do I get out of this? Every once in a while, you need to shake things up, push yourself. If I can do this, I can do just about anything.

So what’s my problem? Personal safety of my family and transportation issues. That’s all. Otherwise, it’s a done deal. From what I can gather, if you keep your head, you’ll never run into trouble. As far as driving, no f’ing way (I have anger management issues behind the wheel). That leaves public transport. MRT sounds doable, busses maybe. Taxis for my wife and girls - not without me? I can’t always be around and she’s not one to stay in the house until I get home.

You kids got any insight and is it any different if money is no object? I’ve never been one to believe that money can buy safety without being a totally cocooned git…

Later.

Are the three girls planning on going to Taipei American School? See tas.edu.tw

Is the company paying for that tuition too?

I too am new to this board, I’ve been lurking for a few months actually, after we found out we’d be moving to Taiwan. How old are your girls? We just moved here, three weeks ago, from Texas. We have two small girls, under school age. We basically took the same attitude as you, it’s a great opportunity for them, even at their young age, and for us, to experience another country, another culture, and see what else is out there. We did a scouting trip a few months before we moved, just to make sure I wanted to move here, since my husband had been here several times before and was fine with moving here. We had fun on our trip, saw a few apartments to get an idea of living conditions and took a few tour trips. It is overwhelming at first, but there is so much to do here and it really is a great city, from what we’ve seen. Granted, we haven’t been here very long, and we aren’t experts at living here by any means - we’re still in the hotel, but we have enjoyed it so far. It’s been VERY frustrating finding an apartment, hence the three weeks and still in hotel, but aside from that, it’s been good. I stay home with the girls during the day and we’ve been vsiting museums, parks, memorial halls, touristy stuff, shopping, eating out, etc. It’s easy to get around by the MRT system here and by taxis. Maybe I am just niave, but I feel completely safe walking around during the day with the kids, without my husband. Yes, we get stared at, the kids get touched and even have pictures taken of them, but we just try and take it in stride. I personally feel pretty safe here in Taipei.
I don’t know how old your children are, but if school age, there seem to be many different English schools available. We will be trying to find a bilingual preschool for our little one once we find an apartment. As far as not speaking Mandarin, I only took a few classes before we left, so I pretty much know nothing and I’m able to get around fairly well. People here have been really friendly and helpful to me. Of course, staying at the hotel has helped since they can write taxi cards for us in Chinese. Might be different once we aren’t here anymore.
Hope I didn’t ramble on too much!
I’d say go for it - it’s a great opportunity!
Best of Luck to you!
Kimberly

Oooooo…you got me all wrong Sheriff…I hate Americans who hate Canadians…like JM…

I hate Americans telling me that when they want Canada’s water, they’ll just annex us. But I am so far off topic right now, I’d better reel myself in a little (at least my metaphors are on topic).

Taxis…whenever I put a female into a taxi, I take down the number of the car in full view of the driver. Another deterrent is to have the ladies make a phone call, real or mock, explaining what time you expect to be at your destination and again, the all important cab #. Once they learn a little Chinese they can say it so the driver understands what you are saying. I guess this would be the only way to “mock up” the call…it would have to be in Mandarin. I don’t want to sound too Aristotlian (the sky is falling, the sky is falling), but there is a very real and specific danger to riding in cabs alone as a female.

One other solution is to call for a cab, not to flag one down. That way there is a record of your trip. Or just go with the Brotherhood of the Lily cabs…they are really comfy cabs with extremely polite drivers.

You will also most probably discover that your local colleagues are very keen to help you out with anything from finding an apartment to getting a cell phone.

Re taxis: My wife has a company with a reputation for being ‘safe’. She always calls them. They’re generally better and mor professional.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Re taxis: My wife has a company with a reputation for being ‘safe’. She always calls them. They’re generally better and mor professional.

Brian[/quote]

Here’s a shuttle service:

aps.com.tw/

[quote=“Hartzell”]
Are the three girls planning on going to Taipei American School? See tas.edu.tw

Is the company paying for that tuition too?[/quote]

Mr. Hartzell, appreciate the heads up. We looked it up during our 'net research.

One of the 3 will be attending if she can get in. The middle girl is 8 and starting 3rd grade here. The youngest is 3 and will keep mom company. The third “girl” is my wife. I can’t tell her age. Being able to call her “one of my girls” is the only concession I get on that front. Truth be told, there is one more girl, she’s 19 and is staying here to mind the house and dogs, finish her schooling and play house with her fiancee.

BTW, when the company did’t bat an eye at TAS tuition, I knew they were serious. It seems they want this to work as much as we do.

Do you prefer habu sake, scotch or lemonade?

Regards,
Rob.

Kimberly, are you on your own on your search or is there a housing crunch or are you taking your time to get the lay of the land or is it something else?

That’s reassuring re: MRT. Will take the community experts’ opinions on taxi’s to heart though. The wife and I know about “touching and picture” thing. My wife is very blonde w/blue eyes. She gets that in Okinawa. My mom’s village is tiny and about as far away from the US military installations as one can get on that island, so seeing caucasians cruising around is rare. The youngest kid will get a kick out of it, she’s a bit of a ham. The middle kid is a bit shy.

[quote=“expat newbie”]Hope I didn’t ramble on too much!
I’d say go for it - it’s a great opportunity!
Best of Luck to you!
Kimberly[/quote]

Rambling’s good. Much obliged.

Rob.

[quote=“Toe Save”]
One other solution is to call for a cab, not to flag one down. That way there is a record of your trip. Or just go with the Brotherhood of the Lily cabs…they are really comfy cabs with extremely polite drivers.

You will also most probably discover that your local colleagues are very keen to help you out with anything from finding an apartment to getting a cell phone.[/quote]

How’s the Brotherhood’s english? It will be a while until we have any usable Mandarin phrases at our disposal. The intention is to start learning as soon as we get the all clear to ship out.

I’m pretty sure my colleagues will help. I’ve given a couple of them some technical training back at the farm. Little did I know at the time that this would go down…

Umm … on the taxi thing … isn’t everyone being a bit alarmist? Sure it pays to be careful, but reading the comments in this thread gives the impression that Taipei taxis are in some way more dangerous than taxis elsewhere in the world. My (admittedly male) perspective, is that taxis here are just as (if not more) safe as taxis back in the UK.

If this is general advice, wherever you are in the world, then I guess I agree. I would give exactly the same advice to a naive 18-year-old girl if it was the first time she’d travelled out of her home town. However, as advice to a well-travelled(?) mother of three?

Some of the taxi drivers drive like lunatics (same as everywhere), some of the taxis are rust-buckets (but given how many taxis there are in Taipei, it’s easy to avoid those), and some taxi drivers hold politically incorrect views on some topics … but apart from that, your main danger is you might get hayfever from the ridiculously large & fragrant flowers some taxis have.

Safety shouldn’t be a concern in pretty much all of metropolitan Taipei anytime before 11PM.

The MRT is real convenient and taxis are fairly cheap. Buses are starting to get fancy things like GPS stop indicators, although you might get a heart attack the first few times you ride one.

Calling a taxi (especially at night) is a good idea. I’ll ask around and see what my friends use.

One of the first things to do is to get your wife out of the house and involved in something otherwise she may feel somewhat bored. There are a number of expat community groups (mostly in Tien Mou).

Many of them are also ex-cons (one of the few occupations available for ex-inmates), and taxi-driver abductions of single women are reported often enough that it is a real danger, especially since the authorities reckon only a tiny fraction are ever reported.
My wife carries the numbers of one or two radiocabs in her cellphone and would not dream of flagging down a cab on the street alone at night.
I thought the ones with the flowers were supposed to be the safe ones.

I believe that you can’t have a criminal record in the past 6 years in order to get a taxi license and I haven’t heard of a taxi abduction since around 1998 or so. That being said, most of them drive like maniacs after midnight.

We have an agent, problem is husbands company is having us use a certain commercial company, not residential company, who is then trying to find local agents to find apartments. For some reason, the agents just aren’t finding us anything and when they do, they want to show us one or two apartments and have us pick from that. Very frustrating since they aren’t finding us much and when they do, they go “this place is nice, only rich people live here, I would love to live here” - and believe me, we aren’t looking at fancy places…just normal apartments for a family. They show us about one apartment a week, it’s awful. I finally got fed up with it and contacted a real estate agent used to dealing with expats and in one day, he’s shown us two great apartments in the area we want. So, maybe things are looking up. If you need an agent, and things work out with this one, I’ll give you his info if you’re interested. It’s frustrating knowing that as a foreigner, you’ll end up paying a lot more for a place than a local = beware of that.

Our oldest is 3 and she loves all the attention - sometimes she gets overwhelmed, but she’s getting completely spoiled!

One place to check out is the community service center in Tien Mu - alot of expats live in TienMu. We chose not to live there due to how far away it is from husbands work. Anyway, the center is a great resource and puts out a great book on Living in Taiwan - http://www.community.com.tw/index.php

Kimberly

Thanks for all your help and the warm welcome.

Kimberly, hope you and yours find a nice place to call home very soon.

See you all around the watering hole.

Ciao.

NP: The new Vette commercial during NBC’s '04 Olympic coverage. (Man, that’s an odd looking car. The last body style was more appealing. Maybe it’ll grow on me like the new 999 finally has. Still, the 996/998 was Ducati’s finest hour)

[quote=“rtc_id”]Thanks for all your help and the warm welcome.

Kimberly, hope you and yours find a nice place to call home very soon.

See you all around the watering hole.

Ciao.

NP: The new Vette commercial during NBC’s '04 Olympic coverage. (Man, that’s an odd looking car. The last body style was more appealing. Maybe it’ll grow on me like the new 999 finally has. Still, the 996/998 was Ducati’s finest hour)[/quote]

off topic: 996/998…absolutely gorgeous…great lines, fantastic superbike…999 looks fine when its splattered with labels and sponorships, but just plain in yellow or red, the 749/999 ain’t so hot imho…