Name four things unique about Taiwan

Here’s a pic inside a fox shrine in Taipei. The foxy devotee in the pic isn’t me btw. I look much sluttier.

1 Like

Why? In what way is it not unique enough? Which other country is exactly like Taiwan that Taiwan needs to distinguish itself from?

That’s the question I’m asking. How unique is Taiwan?

Based on the paltry answers here…

Which country’s geography is exactly the same as Taiwan?

Which country’s climate is exactly the same as Taiwan?

Which country’s demographic is exactly the same as Taiwan?

Which country’s history is exactly the same as Taiwan?

Which country’s political system is exactly the same as Taiwan?

Which country’s laws are exactly the same as Taiwan?

Which country’s economy is exactly the same as Taiwan?

There you have it. Taiwan is unique just like every country in the world is unique.

Taiwan is an inventor’s paradise. Within an hour or two of my office every conceivable manufacturing process is available at one-third the price and delivery time of any country in the West. All without the sleazy political climate and business culture of its main competitor to the west.

3 Likes

Thanks for such an informative post.

I’m sure everyone in the room is more intelligent for having read it.

You are very welcome.

Aaaah right, now I remember where I saw this: one episode of “love death robots” was around one such shape shifting fox spirit:

Hmmm… Looks like there is one kind of temple back on my “to see” list. Thanks!

1 Like

Ya. I am not going to entertain Gain on these clearly baiting points, seems he/she is trolling by now.

I am curious though if you are indeed looking for unique things about taiwan in resepct to advertising taiwan in a way that may benefit our push for independence. Or is gain right and i am confused about what this thread is actually about?

If the answer is yes, then my.only point about bubble tea and blue trucks is that these sort of superficial things may be special, but they are not meaningful enough to grant the level of respect deserved to fight for a countrys’ independence. Some of these things may slightly support such notions, but they need other examples with a bit more substance such as historical human migrations, languages, evolution from martial law to democracy, handling of covid and so on. Arguably far more important than the evolution of cassava to bubble milk to pizza topping. At least in my opinion…

To those saying only idiots dont see taiwan as a unique country…i agree. Those that dont are idiots. Unfortunately idiots hold the majority right now. The issue is there is a 14:179 nation state ratio in the UN which is “smart”:“dumb”…so ya, there is merit and there are a LOT of dumb people apparently because taiwan still isnt respected globally. Honestly a bit shocked people would even pretend otherwise, so i really am confused about said posts/opinions.

Tell this to Filipinos. They will love to hear it, how easy is to get out of poverty.

This sounds like a good one. Of course China has Taoism, but is there anything like Mazu festival in China?

1 Like

You’re right about what I’m looking for, but these don’t need necessarily need to be “positive” things that make Taiwan look good.

Anything that gives Taiwan a separate consciousness helps.

I’ll give it a shot. Maybe some are already posted, and I may be wrong on some, but here goes:

(1) number of formal political identities (Republic of China; Province of China; Separate Customs Territory of Taiwan, Penghu, Kinmen, and Matsu [WTO]; Chinese Taipei; the people on Taiwan [Taiwan Relations Act])

(2) forty-two indigenous languages in an area of 36,193 km2–that’s gotta count for something

(3) Anyone else got an ear-shooting festival (ears formerly belonging to now-dead animals)?

(4) use of the words taro (芋仔) and sweet potato (番薯仔) as labels indicating ancestral status (hope I got the Mandarin right)

One more for lagniappe:

While Zhu Bajie may be worshiped in other countries, I haven’t found evidence (so far) that he’s considered the Patron Deity of Prostitutes in any of those other countries.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. In Singapore, eat potato means English-educated and eat sweet potato means Chinese-educated.

1 Like

That’s really interesting, because it may cast some doubt on the idea that the Taiwan term has to do with the shape of the island (unless Singaporeans also think of Singapore as being shaped like a sweet potato).

1 Like

I think Asians are just potato-centric.

1 Like

Chinese.

Although I remember an NFL player visiting a strip club on bereavement leave.

People hire sex workers when they grieve.

Perhaps a universal impulse.

Safety. I don’t know of another Democratic metropolis where I can send my 12-year old daughter out Friday night at 11pm to 7-eleven without even thinking about it being dangerous.

Invoice lottery. I find this a great trick into making sure things are not sold without receipts

IT. I find Taiwan unique in being a home for so many high tech businesses but at the same time the society is very bad at IT in so many levels.

Checks. The way businesses pay each other with posted checks to give payment terms.

6 Likes

Lmao @ thinking Taiwan isn’t recognised because it’s not unique enough. You are a genius.

-Taiwan oolong tea
-Taiwan cypress and concentration of 3000m plus mountains in a subtropical island make for (amongst the least well known worldwide) hiking paradise - when I post my pics from scenic areas in the high mountains folks are blown way overseas…
-Taiwan insects and birds (just too many to mention)
-Culturally sucking a bit these days unfortunately. Really struggling on that part to think of something unique beyond the temples and the aboriginal cultures. TV and movies and music are atrocious in general. No decent modern festivals I can think of.

• The most powerful economic independent country and island by far that is not officially recognised as a country. There isn’t even any example close to similar…
6 Likes