Name four things unique about Taiwan

Well, it is August. Not sure how well my nuts would sell though…

2 Likes

I’ve never seen the famous betel nut babes, only grannies and the bored to death children helping them. (At least in Taipei or nearby towns)
Are they an urban myth or have I been roaming around the wrong neighborhoods?

1 Like

The jury is still out on this one. They came to this conclusion based on the presence of languages in three of the four Austronesian language families among the Aboriginals. But the genetic link turned out to be much weaker. Unless you have some recent studies suggesting otherwise.

This is true but not unique. Same could be said of the U.S. and its historical separation of church and state producing the same result.

This is true.

I recently listened to two people Ron Dermer and Jeff Halper (two people with completely opposite views on the conflict), who explained that they moved to Israel because the U.S. was too boring and American living was meaningless.

1 Like

Because betel nut consumption has been reduced to less than 5% of the population, a major public health victory.

1 Like

Huh? You don’t like that attitude and you’re leaving anyway?

And bye!

That’s a two-time event. Not sure it’ll make the annals of history to be valuable.

OK great, just don’t go around asking aboriginal people how many people they beheaded.

I have a Japanese-Brazilian friend who, when he went to Japan, people asked him what it was like living in a jungle.

1 Like
  1. Nugatory nuts? No prob. It’s all about how you market them
  2. Don’t underestimate yourself: that, in spite of the widespread, self-congratulatory misconception to the contrary, is very un-Taiwanese.

Very real outside Taipei. But on the decline and generally less provocatively dressed than they used to be. Hence the need for foreigners to step into their heels

1 Like

Watch your language, sonny…

1 Like

Pole Dancers at Funerals

There are a lot of traditions surrounding in Taiwan, but perhaps the most unusual is the appearance of pole dancers or even strippers at some point in the ceremony. This is said to appease the wandering spirits of the dead and creates a carnival like atmosphere for the living.

Standing in the Line of Fire

During the Lantern Festival, locals in Yanshui kit themselves out in helmets and thick clothing before standing in the midst of beehive like structures laden with fireworks. It’s a celebration of a local god, and yes, it’s incredibly dangerous.

The Pigs of God

Force-fed then slaughtered for spectacle

3 Likes

A lot of this stuff in the south is basically invisible to forumosans who live in Taipei and/or stick to the north.

Guy

4 Likes

Quote for the truth. Plus the outsiders who will defend these points to the death.

People who believe that TSMC has some magic sauce. TSMC were just right place right time. Manufacturing moved from west to east and TSMC had the money from DOD, Intel, and what was Philips at the time. I don’t take anything away from their achievements.

1 Like

I just thought of a unique thing about Taiwan: abundance of foreign residents who assume that every country in the world other than Taiwan has all the ambition to improve, a great work culture, meticulous attitude about everything, and never tries to rebut criticism. :smiley:

No they didn’t have any money from DOD or Intel. Intel refused to provide funding. Get your facts straight.

This just isn’t your fort’e.

Did you not at least google what Kalevala was? It’s a collection of epic poetry.

I don’t see how that’s a problem. Food, diet, and transportation are all important aspects to every culture. Just because OP used Finland as an example doesn’t mean everything has to be about China.

It’s on Taiwan for attracting trashy people.

Important sure, but not that unique here especially if we were to talk about independence.

If not China, what country is Taiwan trying to become independant from? Either you or me are really confused…i took this thread as 4 unique thigs about taiwan in regards to differentiate us and to aid in becomming independant (obviously from china…).

Well you are obviously very confused. Every country is unique except maybe many European countries or US/Canada where you wouldn’t even notice having crossed the border. It’s not like Taiwan needs to try to distinguish itself from China. Everyone with a brain could tell in most aspects the two countries are as different as night an day. In fact there is like no country that is similar to Taiwan.

1 Like

Oh :astonished: please elaborate

PS: Sorry, not about your devoutness
PPS: Sorry also not about Your schoolgirl-ness

Taiwan needs to establish itself as unique in its own right, not just different from China.

Some of the answers to this thread are just quirks that aren’t really cultural markers (e.g. blue trucks).

Some think this is another Taiwan-bashing thread. (They’re ignorant too, but that’s a story for another day)

But things like food and travel are definitely cultural markers (although I think Taiwanese emphasize food too much).

Well… There’s a rich tradition of fox deities and shape-shifting fox fairies (狐狸精)in Chinese culture and literature. They’re often depicted as rather libidinous beings. That’s why shrines dedicated to them (狐廟)have often been considered a bit beyond the pale and even suppressed. There’s at least a couple of fox shrines in Taipei (it seems that wanting to be seen as a 正廟,i.e. not a black magic temple, they emphasise the benevolent aspects of their fox deity and downplay the slutty aspects). Traditionally and even to this day many women in the seductive trades - prostitutes, actresses, celebrities - worship fox gods to bring them luck.

1 Like