Names of Sports Teams

It’s the Horned FROGS from TCU and the Beavers from Oregon STATE

It’s the Horned FROGS from TCU and the Beavers from Oregon STATE[/quote]

Well OK. But there isn’t much difference, IMO, between a horny toad and a horny frog… and I lived on the right side of the country… how could I possibly keep those beavers and ducks on the left side strait?

You remember the Bad Boys from the Detroit Pistons who won NBA championship in 1989 and 1990? Dennis Rodman, Bill Lambeer, Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, “Spider” John Salley, Vinnie Johnson, Mark Aguirre, James Edwards, and Rick Mahorn.

One of them is in the news again. And it is not Dennis Rodman.

Once one of the most hated guys in basketball, Bill Laimbeer has made good by coaching the Detroit Shocks WNBA team to its first ever championship. The shock beat the LA Sparks, coached by ex-LA Laker star Michael Cooper. Story here.

:sunglasses:

Pedro Martinez gets his 100th win today, Rogers Clemens gets his 306the win and Barry Bonds hits his 656th home run. How great is would be if the World Series came down to the seventh game and the last at bat, with Barry Bonds at the plate and either Martinez (highest winning percentage in MLB history) or (preferably) Clemens pitching. As good as a Cubs-Red Sox finals.

Pedro Martinez…that’s the guy I had my brain-fart trying to remember in a previous post…Love this guy…how he refused to be intimidated by the bigger swinging bats he faced in his early years…nothing like a little Dominican chin music…

I love the idea of a Cubbie/Sox WSC…but the ideal WSC for me would be the 'Spos in 4 over the Blow Jobs of Tranna, Onteribble…oooooo…how sweet it would be…it couldn’t transcend the greatest moment in sport history…that happened in Salt Lake a couple of years back…y’all know what I mean…but it would be close…

Anyone see that Cowboys game? I have been trying to shed my fanship for Amerika’s team for years and was killing myself laughing as they squandered a 16 point lead…and then…in true Cowboy style of old…wow…what a finish…guess I’ll have to keep my budding Raider allegiance on the back burner for another year…Go Cowboys Go…

we should start a sports discussion forum.

They had that on the telly in the gym again today, and it made for very good viewing. (This time, fortunately, they didn’t mislead me about the names of the teams – and I was closer to the TV, so could see it all more clearly.)

I’ve always found men’s basketball terribly boring (except when Michael Jordan was playing), but this was far more exciting. I decided to support the team in white (Detroit), because the looked a lot nicer than their opponents, and I got quite carried away with partisan sentiment. Soon after the start of the second half, they pulled into an 11-point lead and it looked like it would be plain sailing. But then they started to fluff everything they did: it seemed they couldn’t pop that ball into the basket if their lives depended on it, and soon it was all one-way traffic as the yellow ones caught up and took the lead. The LA team were so much on top of the game at that stage that I didn’t think Detroit had a hope in hell. But somehow or other, with a bit of luck, they got their noses back in front and managed to hang on to take the title in a truly thrilling finale.

If women’s basketball is often as exciting as that, I could see myself becoming quite a fan (though only while doing my stuff in the gym). I have to say that it was almost as good as cricket, footy and rugger.

Toe, I’d rather see the Expos and Yankees, with the Expos sweeping. It would be a great movie – a ragtag team that has to split its “home” games between two places and go on a month-long road trip beats the team with the highest salary and most storied history. Dreaming again.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]I’ve always found men’s basketball terribly boring … but [women’s basketball] was far more exciting. …
If women’s basketball is often as exciting as that, I could see myself becoming quite a fan …[/quote]

Newsflash: Omni likes watching women play basketball more than he likes watching men play basketball. :laughing:

Toe Save,

After your several raves for the Expos and rants against the Blue Jays (or Blow Jobs, as you referred to them), I thought it would be cool to have a Canada pennant race, just for you. It’s pretty close:

Team W L GB

Toronto 80 73 -
Montreal 79 76 2

Toe Save,

Things are heating up between the Expos and Jays. Both teams were struggling around the .500 mark, but they’ve picked it up a pace over the past few weeks:

Team W L GB

Tor 81 74 -
Mon 81 76 1

[quote=“HakkaSonic”]Toe Save,

Things are heating up between the Expos and Jays. Both teams were struggling around the .500 mark, but they’ve picked it up a pace over the past few weeks:

Team W L GB

Tor 81 74 -
Mon 81 76 1[/quote]

Pearson Cup Pennant …or the PCP…hehehehe…

It’s killin’ me man!

Its the loss column that has me worried…

[quote=“Toe Save”]Pearson Cup Pennant …or the PCP…hehehehe…

It’s killin’ me man!

Its the loss column that has me worried…[/quote]

So, should the schedule. Toronto’s got 7 games left, all at home, including 4 with Tampa Bay and 3 with Cleveland, and Halladay will pitch two of them.

Expos only have five more, including two with Atlanta and three with Cinci, all on the road.

[quote=“HakkaSonic”][quote=“Toe Save”]Pearson Cup Pennant …or the PCP…hehehehe…

It’s killin’ me man!

Its the loss column that has me worried…[/quote]

So, should the schedule. Toronto’s got 7 games left, all at home, including 4 with Tampa Bay and 3 with Cleveland, and Halladay will pitch two of them.

Expos only have five more, including two with Atlanta and three with Cinci, all on the road.[/quote]

That figures. As all good Expo fans say in September…“Drop the puck”.

Toe Save, I don’t think they’re going to have any better luck with the hockey team this year.

Actually, my allegiance lies not 10 blocks souteast of the fabled Forum…non, non, non, mon dieu…

I have 6 times the chance of being a proud fan come late June…I cheer for all 6 Canadian teams…well…not so much for the Oilers…unless they are the last ones skating…

Go Canucks…Go Sens, Go Leafs Go!!!

Keep trying Flames, Oilers and Habs…we love ya anyway…

Toe Save,

Jays lose and the race got a whole lot tighter. You may yet see your Expos hold the Maple Leaf cup or whatever you want to call it, you crazy canuck.

[quote=“HakkaSonic”]Toe Save,

Jays lose and the race got a whole lot tighter. You may yet see your Expos hold the Maple Leaf cup or whatever you want to call it, you crazy canuck.[/quote]

Ya…I saw that too…thx for the continuous updates…I may have to send you a Youpie doll to add to your Fluffies collection.

In the years prior to inter-league play, an annual exhibition game was held…they called it The Pearson Cup, named after, I am assuming, Lester P. Pearson, a former leader of Blanada…

Currently, I think they designate an interleague series as the deciding factor of bragging rights. As for your humble Toe, I care not a jot about this, as I remain smugly satisfied that my beloved 'Spos play in, and are sometimes even competetive in, The National League. It’s not called the senior circuit for nothing…it’s a far superior game to that game they play halfway up the 401. In that alone, I will always have the upperhand when discussing the merits of the 2 teams with the likes of Maoman, et al.

Besides that, when you consider that the Expos have had to go on a month-long road trip, play dozens of games in Puerto Rico and until recently saw about 15 people on average attend games, they’ve done quite well this year. When they tied for the lead in the wild card race some weeks back, I thought they were going to be a cinderalla story. Even so, they’ve done well.

Besides that, when you consider that the Expos have had to go on a month-long road trip, play dozens of games in Puerto Rico and until recently saw about 15 people on average attend games, they’ve done quite well this year. When they tied for the lead in the wild card race some weeks back, I thought they were going to be a cinderalla story. Even so, they’ve done well.[/quote]

15 people??? :shock: :shock:

Must have been free steamy and poutine night.