Names of Sports Teams

Impossible, no. Improbable, yes. Desired, never.

Hate the Blue Jays…yes…HATE them…

Hate the Blue Jays…yes…HATE them…[/quote]I recall a canuck bragging to me once about the mighty Blue Jays. When I reminded him that those WS Champion teams were comprised of mostly Americans, he shut up quickly.

The Blue Jays are not the Canadian national team. They’re a MLB team made up of mostly White, Black and Latinos from North America (very few, if any, from Canada).

Maoman’s head shrinks back to normal size.

I like some of the long-gone names of teams from the american and national baseball leagues – Boston Somersets, Boston Bridegrooms, Brooklyn Superbas, New York Highlanders, Houston Colt .45s, Milwaukee Cream Citys, Philiadelphia Quakers, St. Louis Perfectos, Worchestor Ruby Legs, and my favorite, The Boston Beaneaters (you needed a noseplug when you went to their games).

Hate the Blue Jays…yes…HATE them…[/quote]I recall a canuck bragging to me once about the mighty Blue Jays. When I reminded him that those WS Champion teams were comprised of mostly Americans, he shut up quickly.

The Blue Jays are not the Canadian national team. They’re a MLB team made up of mostly White, Black and Latinos from North America (very few, if any, from Canada).

Maoman’s head swells back to normal size.
[/quote]

And the New Jersey Devils, Dallas Stars, Colorado Avalanche, Detroit Red Wings are made up of just how many Americans? As far as I know, there is only one quality Canuck playing in the major leagues…Larry Walker…there were a couple of pitchers that made it to the show for a cup of coffee, but the only player of note is Larry, The Pride of Maple Ridge, Walker.

A team is not only comprised of its players, but its fans. Detroit is known as Hockey Town USA…but Scotty is a Canuck, as is the heart and soul of that squad, Stevie Yzerman.

If you want to get Nationalistic about sports, the only true barometer is those Olympic Games…remind me again…who has the Gold Medal for Hockey? And the women? Oh yeah, that’s right…hehehehehe…see ya in '06 suckas…

My bone of contention with teams such as those Blue Jays that won two WS’ and teams like the Yankees is that they bought their championships. The NY Rangers also did this. I respect teams like the Montreal Expos whose entire roster makes less than the starting rotation of the Atlanta Braves…whose farm system has produced greats like Andre “The Hawk” Dawson, Gary Carter, Marquis Grissom, Delino DeSheilds and Randy Johnson. The saddest thing in sports is to watch a great pitcher like, oh damn…I am drawing a blank here…plays for the Red Sox now…anyhoooo…he wins the Cy Young award with the “Spos” and management trades him…and until 2 weeks ago, these same broke, underpaid superstars were actually in the wild card race…

That’s what I respect…

Gone are the days when Steve Rogers would face off against Steve Carleton…I remember one game where these two giants were mired in a 1-1 draw going into the 9th…Rogers steps up to the plate (Don’t ya just love the Nat’l League) and breaks the tie with one swing of the bat…not to be outdone, Carleton steps up to bat in the bottom of the 9th, with a runner and wins the game with one more swing of the bat… a tragic loss for the good guys, but what a finish…

Or the time I caught a foul ball off of none other than Bill “The Spaceman” Lee’s bat…and summarily had a friend in the organization get it autographed for me…yes…Dick Williams, Tim Raines, Andre Dawson, Gary Carter, and a host of other greats adorned my prize…

The final blow came when The Expos rid themselves of the greatest asset they had since La Grande Orange (trsl: Rusty Staub) in the person of Philippe Alou…the greatest bench boss ever…anyone know where he calls home now? I will become a fan of that team right away, even if that team plays in the far inferior American League.

I love the Expos more than anything else…my parents took me to opening day at Jarry Park every year since year one…I was a denizen of Jonesville…I wax fond remembrances over the announcer’s unique delivery of “Le receveur, da catcher, numero huit, number eight, John Baaaaaaaa-Ka-beeeeeelllllaaaaaaaaa”…watching Rusty Staub launch dingers into the swimming pool and then throw a guy out at the plate from the warning track…ahhhh…the memories…thanks for listening guys…

But where are the answers to Trivia question # 2?

Well, at least they have one guy who made the hall of fame wearing an Expos uniform. Toe Save, one of your best memories must be of the Expos making the playoffs, non?

[quote=“WarMonkey”]I recall a canuck bragging to me once about the mighty Blue Jays. When I reminded him that those WS Champion teams were comprised of mostly Americans, he shut up quickly.

Maoman’s head shrinks back to normal size.
[/quote]

Well, duh. Everybody knows that hardly anybody in Toronto is actually from Toronto. Toronto is for people who know that it’s better there than where they came from. I’ve got no problems with Americans or anyone else wanting to come to Toronto. If they’re smart enough to want to come, then we want 'em. :sunglasses:

Well, at least they have one guy who made the hall of fame wearing an Expos uniform. Toe Save, one of your best memories must be of the Expos making the playoffs, non?[/quote]

Ahhh…the famous strike shortened season where they had a pre-playoff playoff…again, Steve Rogers figured into the mix in a negative way…extra innings against the Dodgers…they bring Rogers off the bench in relief and he dishes up the “see-ya-later-'tater” to Rick Monday…on a Monday afternoon…hereafter known as “Blue Monday”…

Even worse was the season that wasn’t…The Expos were 6 games ahead of the majors (OF THE MAJORS)…we had our 2nd 20 game winner in the history of the club easily within reach of that “Expolusive” mark (to date, only Ross “The Boss” Grimsley has made the books for that) in the person of Kent Hill (17 wins as of Aug. 6th)…we had one of the finest closers in the game in John Wettland…our outfield had Marquis Grissom and Larry Walker…it was our year…damn economics…no place in sport…but what’s a poor Canadian (farm) boy to do…hit somebody? well, I remember the day distinctly…I was working as a tour guide on this train that travelled the Rockies and as I was loading up my guests that morning, I forced them all (Americans each and every one) to sing “Take Me Out To The Ballgame” to ward off Mammon and the strike gods…it didn’t work and I will be destined to always gripe “if only…”

only on the pro level right? no colleges?

baseball and football cardinals.
sox: white and red.
canucks and candians…uh,no.
texas, new york and scottish league rangers.
boston and scottish league celtics.
SF and NY giants.

ah, times up.

The late 80’s early 90’s Jays had some great teams but only won 2 World Series. You got the “in a row” part right: 1992 and 1993.

The late 80’s early 90’s Jays had some great teams but only won 2 World Series. You got the “in a row” part right: 1992 and 1993.[/quote]

Muffin, if I’m not mistaken, I think Maomanfinn was writing that it was impossible for the Blue Jays to win three World Series in a row. I think they’ll have a good shot at making the playoffs next year, though, if they can pick up a bit of pitching.

Ferrari
McLaren
Williams

Now those are great team names. :slight_smile:

How about that Italian GP yesterday? Fast but boring without any overtaking. But the championship is still tight with Raikonnen and Montoya just 7 and 3 points respectively behind Schumacher.

And good news for you Candians as Jacques Villeneuve finally got a few points as well by coming in sixth. This may help him keep his F1 ride for next year.

There will be an F1 race in Shanghai next year, September 26, 2004. It will be the third to last race. I would really like to go see it, if possible

[quote=“Maoman”]Well, duh. Everybody knows that hardly anybody in Toronto is actually from Toronto. Toronto is for people who know that it’s better there than where they came from. I’ve got no problems with Americans or anyone else wanting to come to Toronto. If they’re smart enough to want to come, then we want 'em. 8-)[/quote]Weak, man, weak.
Molitor, White, Carter, et al did not join the BJs to seek a new home in Canuckistan. They wanted to play for a team that had a chance at winning it all and the BJs PAID THEM BIG MONEY (most likely in USD).

Did the entire BJ team emigrate to Canada?

After swelling to gargantuan proportions, MaoMan’s head again shrivels back to it’s normal size… erection gone now too.

The late 80’s early 90’s Jays had some great teams but only won 2 World Series. You got the “in a row” part right: 1992 and 1993.[/quote]

Muffin, if I’m not mistaken, I think Maomanfinn was writing that it was impossible for the Blue Jays to win three World Series in a row. I think they’ll have a good shot at making the playoffs next year, though, if they can pick up a bit of pitching.[/quote]
You are mistaken. He was bragging about something and couldn’t even do that correctly. Good call Muffin.

Found a few more good names in a Miriam-Webster article:

• Battle Creek Golden Kazoos
  • Hardware City Rock Cats
  • Rancho Cucamonga Quakes

Some more funny ones here.

Muffin, if I’m not mistaken, I think Maomanfinn was writing that it was impossible for the Blue Jays to win three World Series in a row. I think they’ll have a good shot at making the playoffs next year, though, if they can pick up a bit of pitching.[/quote]
Muffin, I stand by my words, although I know I’m winning on semantics. The Jays were champs for 3 years running, in that in those three years, nobody else won the pennant. I know there was a strike in '94, but that doesn’t change the fact that the team holding the pennant going into the new season 95 was Toronto. They were, therefore, World Series Champs for 3 yrs in a row.

Muffin, I stand by my words, although I know I’m winning on semantics. The Jays were champs for 3 years running, in that in those three years, nobody else won the pennant. I know there was a strike in '94, but that doesn’t change the fact that the team holding the pennant going into the new season 95 was Toronto. They were, therefore, World Series Champs for 3 yrs in a row.[/quote]

Talk about adding insult to injury…that just f*#@ed up my night…Maoman, you just had to make me realize that…I had such a good afternoon after reminiscing about my beloved Expos and you come along and steal my thunder by pointing out that the season that wasn’t would’ve wrested the WSC from those hated BJ’s.

AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Thanks for nothing pal.

Very clever, Maoman. Guanxi for you. Maybe there will be a few more World Series for Toronto with Delgado, Wells, Halladay and company – but they’ll need to spend on some pitching first.

Ya gotta like the Horned Toads of TCU, and the Beavers from Oregon.

The Blue Jays are wankers. Their management is represented by “Bay Street” Tories that were too stupid to get into Harvard or any good school, so they got their BBA from the University of Toronto and have delusions of grandeur living in the malignant statism that is Canada. Out of the 2 Canadian teams, I would rather watch the Expos anyday.

The Red Sox - now there is a class operation.

TA for Now,
Chewy

Unfortunately, the team I cheered on from the stands of Portman Road as a lad, the bucolically nicknamed Tractor Boys of Ipswich Town, have tumbled precipitously from the upper reaches of the Premier League and the glory of competing against the best in Europe, and are today languishing in last place of the First Division, on the verge of sinking into obscurity among the unsung minnows of English league football. It’s enough to break a fellow’s heart.

But at least the Hammers are looking good at the other end of the table, and have a fair chance of regaining their rightful place in the Premier League next season.