Navigating Remote Work as a European in Taiwan: Legalities, Contracts, and Salary Insights?

Hey fellow expats! :earth_asia: I’m currently working in Taiwan for an international company with a local contract and a gold card. I’ve heard about the potential benefits of working remotely for a company outside Taiwan. Is this legal? Should I consider having my own business here and invoicing the outside company, or opt for a special contract allowing remote work from Taiwan? Or just a normal contract would work ?

Additionally, I’m curious if, as a European, I can apply for remote jobs in the US. Has anyone had a similar experience? Which countries offer the highest salaries for remote work? Switzerland, the Emirates, Sweden, the US—any insights on where to apply?

Looking forward to hearing your experiences and advice! :globe_with_meridians::briefcase:

Yes, but many companies won’t hire you due to tax reasons because they think it may give them tax liability even though it doesn’t. Companies need to have multiple employees in Taiwan to be liable for Taiwan taxes, but most companies just don’t want to take that risk. Smaller companies, maybe.

It’s better to just work for them as an independent foreign contractor, and you will be responsible for figuring out your own taxes. That is the most commonly accepted way for US companies to hire foreigners to work from outside the US.

They will just ask you to fill out a W-9 tax form (or maybe W-8?) declaring that you are a foreign contractor living outside the US and therefore the company doesn’t have to pay taxes to hire you.

2 Likes

I think you need to be more specific. “Remote work” could mean dozens of different things (at least).

1 Like

ok and to be independant foreign contractor do i need to create/register a company here in taiwan ?

No, you don’t need to.

2 Likes

Sorry, i meant working for a company based in the US for example that gives a US salary, and still living in taiwan.

Keep in mind, you will still need to pay income taxes to Taiwan.

1 Like

Thanks a lot !

1 Like

Yes of course ! my goal is not to avoid paying tax, i would be happy to pay more tax if that means my salary is higher !

2 Likes

The caveat of remote jobs is that you’re suddenly competing with the entire world. So it’s everything but guaranteed that a US company specifically looking for remote workers will also pay US salaries.

Also, you should consider time zones: It’s no fun having regular meetings with US customers from Taiwan.

If the company is willing to go that way, they can also use an Employer of Record (EOR) / professional employer organization (PEO) to employ you without starting a local branch office (such as remote.com or others). But as an independent contractor / freelancer / self-employed person, you’ll probably earn more.

Regarding that, also consider the following threads:

1 Like