Need feedback for new Classifieds system: Forumosafieds.com

www.forumosafieds.com

Folks, please help us finish this new website - Forumosafieds.com

It uses the same classified system as Tealit, and the biggest difference I can think of is that it is free of charge, like the rest of Forumosa

Your feedback and advice will help us decide whether to commit to this system or try to develop our own. So let me know what you think

Cheers

gus.

Looks like the same thing to me. I might be able to help you though since I have an interest in such thangs.

“The best things in life are free” Sounds great to me. :notworthy:

I know very little about this stuff so I can’t help. I like the slogan a lot. That’s my 2 cents. :notworthy:

I’m going to be in the market for new work. Where do I post my Available For Work classified ad? There’s no section in Career Opportunities (resumes) for teaching, and no section in Teaching Jobs for resumes.

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll look to add a resume section in the Teaching Jobs area. I am afraid this might confuse people who might choose resume along with the other Teaching Job sub-categories

It’s nice, but there are a lot of different sections in the buy&sell something category (perhaps too many?). At least there’s an “all categories” section, but you might want to make the link to that more noticable, as some people might not see it and freak out
:slight_smile:

Yeah, I agree with you completely. We’ll be fine-tuning the categories over the next few days. :sunglasses:

I hope it can become a seamless log in with existing names and passwords.

A great salesman once told me “Everybody has a need and everybody is in a hurry”

Is this a conscious decision or hitting software limitations?

[quote=“Ironman”]I hope it can become a seamless log in with existing names and passwords.

A great salesman once told me “Everybody has a need and everybody is in a hurry”

Is this a conscious decision or hitting software limitations?[/quote]
Thanks for the feedback

This is a software limitation. We’re in “pilot test” mode - looking to see how much effort will be needed to make this initiative work. When we feel comfortable with it, we will probably buy the software outright and then tweak it to fit better with the Forums.

• buy and sell has way too many sections - makes it hard to find stuff. the forumosa classifieds are hardly overflowing with content so i cant imagine a whole new and separate site warrants that many sections
  • is in general a very busy looking way to do classifieds
  • why separate it? its handy having the forumosa site as is and not creating sepaprate yet liked sub-sites??

A couple of random things:

• 200 words is too few for a good job ad. Raise the limit.

• How about a ‘free’ section. There’s lots of people here with stuff that’s probably not saleable but is do-away-worthy. We should encourage environmentally/socially responsible behaviour by prompting people to give away what they don’t need.

Good idea. What about Freecycle? Would we want to create a new category ‘Free’ or suggest people join the Taiwan Freecycle groups? I’m really all for supporting existing sites/groups but I realize that creating a new account somewhere else (and just to give stuff away) would be a PITA for many.

Connection seems pretty slow.

This may or may not have anything to do with the classifieds as it was on this very page. I saw a classified for a studio in Taichung on this page and because it caught my attention clicked on it, which took me to a place that said no such post exists, I went back using back and the advertisement was gone. I was then taken back to this page using the back arrow on the browser and another ad was in its place. This is hardly the first time that’s happened. I find it annoying as hell I really want to know why this occurs. I posted the same thing on the forumusa friends Love or Hate it? thread (but no one responded). I have a bigger issue with this occurence.

I realise I could search the actual classifieds but aren’t the ads on this page for convenience or are they just inconvenient attention getters?

[quote=“Matchstick_man”]This may or may not have anything to do with the classifieds as it was on this very page. I saw a classified for a studio in Taichung on this page and because it caught my attention clicked on it, which took me to a place that said no such post exists, I went back using back and the advertisement was gone. I was then taken back to this page using the back arrow on the browser and another ad was in its place. This is hardly the first time that’s happened. I find it annoying as hell I really want to know why this occurs. I posted the same thing on the forumusa friends Love or Hate it? thread (but no one responded). I have a bigger issue with this occurence.

I realise I could search the actual classifieds but aren’t the ads on this page for convenience or are they just inconvenient attention getters?[/quote]
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

You are correct about the purpose of these ads. I am still trying to develop an automatic way for the two websites to share data. So in the meantime, I have been manually creating the text ads based on the automatic alerts from the forumosafieds.

Thanks to your message here, I now understand why I haven’t been getting automatic alerts for when ads are deleted (ans. there aren’t any)

I’ll change the text ads to Forumosa sponsor ads until I figure out how to better integrate the two.

Cheers

I just popped over for a look. Heaps better than last time I went in and I did not have to log on to look around.

I noticed I could click a new post to drop back into Forumosa. It may be good to have a top navigation bar that stays the same no matter where you are so its easy to click on classifieds or forums or other parts of the web site/s and find your way back.

I do wander why it is necessary to have different names and sites visible.

I’d be happier just clicking around Forumosa forums, classifieds etc knowing a navigation bar at the top could pull me back to a known area and I really don’t need to know I go to a different web site when I click between navigation buttons.

Then I hope you will like even more the new Forumosafieds we are planning to unveil (maybe as soon as this week!)

We’ll give more thought to a common navigation bar - at the moment, this seems to be at the BOTTOM of the pages instead of at the top

There are ways to use the phpBB user database across other applications - and result in a universal login - but we (ok, mostly me) had made the decision to hold that off till we upgraded the software to phpBB Olympus (which has not been released yet)

[quote=“Goose Egg”]We’ll give more thought to a common navigation bar - at the moment, this seems to be at the BOTTOM of the pages instead of at the top

There are ways to use the phpBB user database across other applications - and result in a universal login - but we (ok, mostly me) had made the decision to hold that off till we upgraded the software to phpBB Olympus (which has not been released yet)[/quote]

Sounds good re software, all under control!

Re bottom or top of pages for permanent navigation bars. Top is better imo because users are familiar with their microsoft applications and browsers using top mounted navigation. As long as the top can stay behind and not dissapear. Suggest a color for navigation bars that is startling so it can be found easily. Not blue, any color but blue obviously.

Hey guys - please give me your feedback on Forumosa’s New Classifieds. It’s not quite finished, there are a few things to tweak, but we’re not far off from a launch.

I’d particularly like to know what you think of the personals section.

How would you assess ease of use? Let me know what you think. And thanks!

I replied to yours and added one in the men seeking men. Seemed to work well.