Need feedback for new Classifieds system: Forumosafieds.com

Chips weren’t gay.

Nice tits on Veronica, who’s searching for a guy to teach her English. Are you really going to have a space for people to put up pictures? Even for sports/activity partners and such?

[quote=“Richardm”]Chips weren’t gay.[/quote]Look how close together they’re standing, what hetrosexual man would feel comfortable standing so close to another man ? And look how shiny their helmets are.

I’m liking the layout of the personals. Great choices for the pictures! I hope lots of people get on there, so we can laugh at them.

Yeah, I had to delete Veronica. I was getting too many replies! I mean come on! A bikini model is going to advertise for a grumpy old Scot to teach her the finer points of love-making? Hehehehe… I guess guys believe what they want to believe… :unamused:

I’m not clear on the difference between the old classified forums and the new forumosafieds. Is it just a matter of paid ads from now on?

I’m not clear on the difference between the old classified forums and the new forumosafieds. Is it just a matter of paid ads from now on?[/quote]
The new ads are better laid out - it’s proper classified software. Our previous method of having classifieds in a forum format was ok, but not ideal.

Forumosafieds is free, although we’d like to be able to charge companies for job listings at some point in the future. For the individual user, Forumosa will remain free, natch.

Aren’t you putting more pressure on your servers, so to say, by allowing users to upload pics rather than just allowing image links as it was the case with old buy/sell forum?

If I want to post mutiple sales items (the infamous “leaving Taiwan” post e.g.), can I upload several pics or would I have to split my post into individual ads with one pic each if I want to show all the items?

Thanks, Xpet.

[quote=“Xpet”]Aren’t you putting more pressure on your servers, so to say, by allowing users to upload pics rather than just allowing image links as it was the case with old buy/sell forum?

If I want to post mutiple sales items (the infamous “leaving Taiwan” post e.g.), can I upload several pics or would I have to split my post into individual ads with one pic each if I want to show all the items?

Thanks, Xpet.[/quote]
There are files size limits on the photo uploads: 50kb and 640x480 pixel dimensions

The software seems to allow more than one picture to be added for a single ad. But I don’t see how this is set. I’m checking with the developer about this now. How many pictures do you think you’d need? Couldn’t you take a group shot of your stuff?

Well, I tried Forumosafieds out. I need to register with a name and password (entering name and password again sucks). I have to wait for them to e-mail me back with confirmation before I can post my ad (the waiting sucks).

All I want is to post a free dining table in the Buy & Sell.

Gus, I was only asking hypothetically, I don’t have a need right now to post something, but may well have in the near future.

One more comment I’d like to make is that I’m missing the ability to respond on-line, I know that many posters don’t like their ads critizised by others, their prices jumped on or whatever, but that’s also a bit of the attraction that a buy/sell forum on a DISCUSSION FORUM has, rather than just being classified ads that are out there, period. Also, as 914 said, having to re-register is not only tedious, it also means that there’s no guarantee you will be able to use your forumosa handle. Plus, the handle doesn’t show up in the ads, I always liked to be able to say - hey, I know 914, I could buy that nice THE ROCK t-shirt! … Or people knowing that when they see one of my ads they might say “Xpet’s a very decent sort, I would buy off him anytime, even for these outrageously high prices …” :wink:

I totally agree with this – its losing a very big part of what this community is all about. Its impersonal and removed. Maybe that’s what you want, of course.

Dude, the ‘jobs’ link on the forum listings page takes me to microsoft.com and I suspect that you don’t want it to do that.

Or is it special for me?

[quote=“Loretta”]Dude, the ‘jobs’ link on the forum listings page takes me to microsoft.com and I suspect that you don’t want it to do that.

Or is it special for me?[/quote]It’s special for you, but the link is broken. it has 2 "http"s

Is it forumosafied or forumosfieds ? The name has an S, but the domain name doesn’t

I totally agree with this – its losing a very big part of what this community is all about. Its impersonal and removed. Maybe that’s what you want, of course.[/quote]
We’ll be working toward using Forumosa IDs - but that would come much later. We’re pretty happy with the software we have, but we need to tweak THAT one, too! :astonished: Stay tuned

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“Loretta”]Dude, the ‘jobs’ link on the forum listings page takes me to microsoft.com and I suspect that you don’t want it to do that.

Or is it special for me?[/quote]It’s special for you, but the link is broken. it has 2 "http"s

Is it forumosafied or forumosfieds ? The name has an S, but the domain name doesn’t[/quote]
Well, pretty soon (this week? :pray: ) we’ll have both Forumosafied.com and Forumosafieds.com pointing over there. We can’t switch over Forumosafieds.com (with the ‘s’) just yet because we haven’t finished moving over all the ads (and some ads are still being added there) :idunno:

I signed up 18 hours ago and haven’t heard back via e-mail whether I’m registered or not. Tick tock…

Try to register again. The confirmation e-mail is sent out instantly upon registration. Perhaps you mis-typed something

I’ve noticed that every day, a couple of people do not enter their e-mail address, so they bounce to me (which justifies the need to ask for e-mail confirmation :slight_smile:

OK, I got to it - it works now

I reregistered like you said, Goose Egg. The username exists and is in use…not me though…

I fear this is seriously bad idea to move the classified forums to another site address. The reason there are so many people reading the classifieds is because it is conveniently located as one of the choices ont he main forum listings of Forumosa. Once you move it off site, people will not be making special trips to go visit it to see what is for sale. Furthermore it is not like Forumosa actually has some kind of big marketing budget to promote the Forumosafieds. I think it is a bad idea and spin off sites normally fail to live up to expectations. You are ruining a good thing. We have a saying in the United States, “if ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” I have sold a lot of things over the 5 years that I have been posting on Forumosa and it is a shame that it is being moved.