Need feedback for new Classifieds system: Forumosafieds.com

That appears to have fixed it.

I clicked on Buy & Sell, then Recent Ads as Goose Egg suggested, but in the list were things like ESL Video Actors, Apartment for rent, CALLING ALL EDITORS! (Part II), The Central News Agency, etc… Certainly not items being bought or sold.

I assume what’s happening is that the Recent Ads link is showing all recent ads, rather than recent Buy & Sell Ads. So how do we view Recent Buy & Sell Ads, without segregation by category (e.g., furniture, cars, etc.)?

[quote=“Loretta”]I get:

Change password | Logout | My profile | My ads | My subscriptions | Recent ads | Most popular ads | Search | Help | Home

So I’m afraid the answer is no, it doesn’t help. Why don’t I get the ‘submit ad’ option. Hello, Gus?[/quote]
You need to make sure that you are in a category that will allow ads. For example, “Housing” does not allow ads, but its 3 sub-categories (Available, Wanted, Roommates) do allow ads.

I think you’re right about the size of that Submit Ads. the code is a bit bewildering to me, though, so it will take me sometime to figure out how to make it more conspicuous.

Please do suggest how you think it could be best presented. For now, I hope to make it slightly bigger and a [color=darkred]different color[/color]

I’m updating the Housing category and it now puts a large photo at the top of the ad (if there is one). It also allows you to upload 2 additional pictures.

I don’t know what to do about this at the moment. I look to do this tweak later

No, it doesn’t do this. I don’t have that level of integration. I do have code for the latest ads from the Forumosafieds, but category as an RSS feed. I still need to figure this out, and want to figure out how to stick these into the forum layout somehow.

Yeah, that would be cool. Using the logins from the forums is the ideal target. What might be easier is the ability to create a Forumosafied Login from your Forumosa Member Profile. This way, IF you want to place a Forumosafied Ad, you would click a link in your profile that will generate your Forumosafied login. You would not be able to transfer your password to the new Forumosafied Login because forum passwords are encrypted - but this would save you a couple of steps.

(Most may not realize that registering on the Forumosafieds is very easy: name and e-mail are ALL that are asked for. You don’t even choose your password - a temporary password is e-mailed to you)

That sounds ideal!

Hanyu Pinyin & Hanzi

Sōngshān 松山區
X

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I clicked on Buy & Sell, then Recent Ads as Goose Egg suggested, but in the list were things like ESL Video Actors, Apartment for rent, CALLING ALL EDITORS! (Part II), The Central News Agency, etc… Certainly not items being bought or sold.

I assume what’s happening is that the Recent Ads link is showing all recent ads, rather than recent Buy & Sell Ads. So how do we view Recent Buy & Sell Ads, without segregation by category (e.g., furniture, cars, etc.)?[/quote]
That wasn’t what I meant - sorry about that

I think the RSS code should help - once I get it working. And this should appear in the forums someplace - and in your RSS reader, eventually.

btw, jfyi, I’ve noticed that there are now nearly 140 active accounts on the forumosafieds - this means that 140 people have registered and logged in at least once. Apparently, the system records guest visits, too - and over 1,500 have visited - despite all the problems that remain with the Forumosafied URLs and movement of ads.

I did a quick look yesterday, and noticed that we already seem to have more Forumosafied ads than ORIENTED (all cities, not just Taipei) and over half as much as TaiwanHo’s (even though their ads go back a few months and ours goes back weeks): 103 to 171

Can’t wait till we get the URLs are working properly :slight_smile:

Gus, thanks.

My probs went away after I logged out and back in. I originally registered before it was possible to place ads, I believe, so maybe there was some ‘hangover’? Anyway, it’s all cured.

The new window thing was just a glitch with my browser settings, I think. Did anyone else get it? It seems to have gone away now.

What else?

You have an ‘Ok’ buttone, instead of an ‘OK’ button when logging in. Just a niggle and you probably have more important things to worry about.

Registering for the ads is no big deal, and actually it doesn’t bother me that the user IDs don’t carry over. But that’s probably because I got the same name at both sites. I expect if I was to start advertising as ‘Jefferson’ that people would get upset with me. Maybe there should be something in the rules enabling you to suspend accounts if a forumosan complains that someone is using his name?

I imagine that there are plenty of people who would like to be able to advertise under a different identity to preserve their anonymity?

I don’t bother logging out, so for me it’s a once-only thing to login.

Clicking on “Housing Available” takes me to a generic - Jobs - Housing - etc - etc screen.

I’ve nudged the niggle :slight_smile: It wasn’t where I thought it would be, but it is “OK” now

Yes, I haven’t replaced the links that go to the old Housing category yet. When you try to go to a non-existent category, you are taken to the front page.

I just wanted to say that I don’t like the way you don’t see ads on the new forumosafieds when you browse the forums using the “NEW” link. I check forumosa everyday using this function, and I like to see what jobs are available or what is for sale even if I’m not actively searching for something. Now you have to specifically go to forumosafieds and choose the category of what you are searching for, which I don’t think I’m likely to do.

Anybody else feel the same way?

You’re welcome.

[quote=“Xpet”]Would it be possible to have a views counter for each ad? Kind of feels good to see that there are actually people looking at your ad, or not …

Thanks, Xpet.[/quote]

[quote=“Redmenace”]I just wanted to say that I don’t like the way you don’t see ads on the new forumosafieds when you browse the forums using the “NEW” link. I check forumosa everyday using this function, and I like to see what jobs are available or what is for sale even if I’m not actively searching for something. Now you have to specifically go to forumosafieds and choose the category of what you are searching for, which I don’t think I’m likely to do.

Anybody else feel the same way?[/quote]
I feel the same way - which is why I mentioned earlier that I’d like to include search results of BOTH the forums and the forumosafieds whenever you run a search - no matter which website you are using. However, coding this is going to take me a long time - I work fulltime in the healthcare industry (so if you can give me a hand with this, please PM me)

In the meantime, when I get the RSS from the Forumosafieds working, I will look to add the latest posts aggregate or by category on search results. This is something we could not do with the old forum-format :slight_smile:

[quote=“Xpet”][quote=“Xpet”]Would it be possible to have a views counter for each ad? Kind of feels good to see that there are actually people looking at your ad, or not …

Thanks, Xpet.[/quote][/quote]
Actually, there already is a views counter(!), look over here: CLICK THIS

Where do you think it would best appear in the ad - in the summary list or the ad itself? Both? Be as specific as you can - your guidance will help :slight_smile:

There’s something wromg with Forumosafieds: I ain’t gettin’ any smiles, but 914 is getting millions! :noway:

Tell me that’s not a major bug right there! :loco:

[quote=“Stray Dog”]There’s something wromg with Forumosafieds: I ain’t gettin’ any smiles, but 914 is getting millions! :noway:

Tell me that’s not a major bug right there! :loco:[/quote]
There are smilies in the Forumosafieds?
Did you mean smilies or smiles?

[quote=“Stray Dog”]There’s something wromg with Forumosafieds: I ain’t gettin’ any smiles, but 914 is getting millions! :noway:

Tell me that’s not a major bug right there! :loco:[/quote]
Nani nani boo boo
I’m cuter than youuu.

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of that - obviously … If placed in the ad itself I’d say either in the top bar (advertisement details …) or as a seperate line, i.e. as one detail item … don’t know whether that’s possible? Maybe it would be enough in the summary list, where it could be an additional column. Thanks.

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of that - obviously … If placed in the ad itself I’d say either in the top bar (advertisement details …) or as a separate line, i.e. as one detail item … don’t know whether that’s possible? Maybe it would be enough in the summary list, where it could be an additional column. Thanks.[/quote]
Done. Both.