Need feedback for new Classifieds system: Forumosafieds.com

Stone cold. :laughing: More later. Itā€™s bed-timeā€¦

The strange thing is that in the past, now and most likely in the future - Forumosa, Forumosified, Tealit, Taiwna Ho or whatever will NOT be bombarded with classifieds in Englishā€¦ the old classifieds were fine and I liked the idea of scrolling through all the classifieds at once and not having to click back and then through another list (as per the current Tealit lite version that is the Forumosified)

Hobart was right - I rarely go to Tealit or Taiwan Ho as I am not a teacher.

I like efficient browsing. So I like to be able to scroll down a list of all the things available, rather than having to open four different areas of classifieds. While I understand that segregating it makes sense for people who are looking for one specific category, or if there are too many listings, another option would be to split by cat as now but also have a link that says ā€œall listingsā€, thus pleasing everyone.

Comment 2: Taipei is a big city. When folks sell stuff and list ā€œTaipeiā€, thatā€™s a pain, because (since I live on the far east side), I then have to contact them to ask where in Taipei. But in the new classifieds, they often list email addresses rather than Forumosa IDā€™s. I donā€™t have email at work, where I do most of my browsing. So I end up not contacting them, therefore the listing is less effective.

If there were a ā€˜districtā€™ column next to the ā€˜cityā€™ one, that would help. If the instructions given (when posting the ad) strongly recommended providing a phone no. in addā€™n to email, that would help too.

Just my tuppence.

That would be a very good idea.

Brian

When you want to click over and browse for ads, donā€™t you click in from the front of the forums or the sitemap? You can browse the forumosafieds just as conveniently. Well, it seems to be the same to me.

(Plus, the ads have their own web address if you wanted to type directly over.)

What am I missing?

That would be a very good idea.

Brian[/quote]
You mean like the TWO all listings links located ā€œabove the foldā€ of our Forums:
Latest Forumosafieds Posted
Most Popular Forumosafieds

Should I make these bigger? :wink:

Thank you for the comments, DB. They are useful

There are buttons at the bottom of every listing that allow you to e-mail the Ad Owner without logging into your e-mail. Push that button and you are presented with a form to use. This should help you contact them while you are at your workplace.

This is a good point - where were you before we had 31 Buy N Sell ads? :wink:

Adding District isnā€™t difficult, in fact, itā€™s very easy. But positioning it in the listings table is not easy. To ā€œpositionā€ it next to City on that list, I need to move over field names to fit the District field inside - which is not easily done since there is already data in those fields. This is a quirk/limitation of the software we have chosen to use

I could add a District field to the category (no sweat) but it would be added on to the end of the summary listings table.

Btw, should we have standard districts to prevent people from typing in their own romanization? If yes, Iā€™d need a list of district names of every city - that doesnā€™t really sound very practical. Or did you mean only ā€œTaipei Districtsā€??

And which Forumosafied categories should the District appear in? All of them, only Buy and Sell and Housing? Let me know what you have in mind

When you want to click over and browse for ads, donā€™t you click in from the front of the forums or the sitemap? You can browse the forumosafieds just as conveniently. Well, it seems to be the same to me.

What am I missing?[/quote]

No, this is different to a ā€œView all adsā€ option

What am I missing?[/quote]

No, this is different to a ā€œView all adsā€ option[/quote]
We actually might be able to do something about that - ā€œView All Ads Everā€ (even though no such function was available for the forum-based version) so stay tuned :sunglasses:

But let me make sure I understand this. You would like to browse, say, BuyNSell ads that are mixed together, not separated into 4 categories :eh:

[quote=ā€œGoose Eggā€]You mean like the TWO all listings links located ā€œabove the foldā€ of our Forums:
Latest Forumosafieds Posted
Most Popular Forumosafieds

Should I make these bigger? [/quote]

Oh, there they are! :blush: :slight_smile: Pity, the resulting lists donā€™t show the city/district, so that I still have to open each of them to find out. Seems like thereā€™s plenty of room to add those columns. Just a thought.

Excellent, thanks! Now, how do I get this kind of customer service at Microsoft?

Playing with my cat. :wink:

[quote]Adding District isnā€™t difficult, in fact, itā€™s very easy. But positioning it in the listings table is not easy. To ā€œpositionā€ it next to City on that list, I need to move over field names to fit the District field inside - which is not easily done since there is already data in those fields. This is a quirk/limitation of the software we have chosen to use

I could add a District field to the category (no sweat) but it would be added on to the end of the summary listings table.[/quote]

Or perhaps you could split the city choices (if chosen from a menu) so that folks picked from Taipei-Ximending, Taipei-Sanchong, etc,. or at least Taipei-West side, Taipei, SW side, Taipei-center etc.

Well, it only becomes relevant as cities get big and spread out. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s the case for other cities. As for romanization, although I prefer a standardized form, a mixture is already a fact of life here, so up to you!

I think itā€™s relevant for jobs, for Language Exchange, dating, and so on too. I canā€™t count the number of times Iā€™ve had to ask where, where where?! So if you could implement this, I think it would be valuable, but of course I realize things are always easier said than done.

[quote=ā€œDragonbonesā€]Or perhaps you could split the city choices (if chosen from a menu) so that folks picked from Taipei-Ximending, Taipei-Sanchong, etc,. or at least Taipei-West side, Taipei, SW side, Taipei-center etc.

Well, it only becomes relevant as cities get big and spread out. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s the case for other cities. As for romanization, although I prefer a standardized form, a mixture is already a fact of life here, so up to you! [/quote]
I must defer to our resident romanization-nazi - Maoman made me promise not to spell anything officially on this website because I am so hopeless. Could you suggest a list of City-District selections that you have in mind? Maoman and I have a scheduled admin meeting tomorrow, and we can talk about how to incorporate it (or why not). If we have suggestions before 7pm tomorrow, it would our lives are a little bit easier (itā€™s been a rough week)

I think itā€™s relevant for jobs, for Language Exchange, dating, and so on too. I canā€™t count the number of times Iā€™ve had to ask where, where where?! So if you could implement this, I think it would be valuable, but of course I realize things are always easier said than done.[/quote]
This is easier said than done - well, putting it next to City is easier said than done. Putting it at the end of the list near the photo is very easy

But if we change City to City-District and make this a dropdown selection, that would be very easy!

Adding City or City-District to the Recent Ads or Most Popular Ads is not so straight-forward. Iā€™ll throw it on the to-do pile, but it will take time for us to get to (you might have to remind me! :blush: )

That sounds ideal!

Hanyu Pinyin & Hanzi

Sōngshān ę¾å±±å€
X

It would be nice to see the dates of the posts in the new forumosifieds. Apologizes if this was already mentioned.

Hi, I currently have an ad running in the ā€œvariousā€ section of the Buy & Sell Forumosafieds (Hey, go & check it out, lots of good stuff for little money!! :wink:) and even though I posted the link to the pics (a yahoo! photo album) in the field ā€œWebsiteā€ Iā€™ve had many people ask ā€œCan you give me the link to the pics?ā€ or ā€œWhere is the picture linkā€ etc. ā€¦ I personally canā€™t understand why as the link seems to be rather prominent, right there in the ad, but I thought Iā€™d share this experience, maybe itā€™s a lay-out thing or so ā€¦

Would it be possible to have a views counter for each ad? Kind of feels good to see that there are actually people looking at your ad, or not ā€¦

Thanks, Xpet.

I notice that the thumbnail pic by the ads takes you to a bigger version, but the pic doesnā€™t apear with the ad itself if you click on that. I think the ad should include the pic so you donā€™t have to jump around.

When you view the larger pics, or the website of the advertisor, they open in a new window. This window is almost, but not quite, the same size as my screen and for some reason this really bugs me. Please make it fullscreen, or else smaller.

And when looking at the categories from the main forumosa menu, does the ā€˜new postsā€™ indicator light up? Iā€™m not sure that it does, and it would be useful if it was always clear whether there are new jobs, lesbians, motorbikes, or whatever youā€™re looking for.

Hey Jefferson, and all the others who donā€™t want to be attracting loads of Taiwanese English-learners to forumosa, now do you get what I meant about having separate advertising? The classfieds can be promoted with their own URL, so they donā€™t bring the ā€˜wrongā€™ people into forumosa proper. But you can get to and browse the ads from forumosa almost as if theyā€™re part of this site.

Now if Gus can just merge the loginsā€¦

I still canā€™t post an ad. Iā€™m logged in as loretta, but canā€™t find a ā€˜place adā€™ button. Can someone tell me where it is? It must be there somewhere. Other people place ads. What am I doing wrong?

These are the links I see when Iā€™m logged in:

Change password | Logout | My profile | My ads | My subscriptions | [color=darkred]Submit ad[/color] | Recent ads | Most popular ads | Search | Help | Home

Does that help?

I get:

Change password | Logout | My profile | My ads | My subscriptions | Recent ads | Most popular ads | Search | Help | Home

So Iā€™m afraid the answer is no, it doesnā€™t help. Why donā€™t I get the ā€˜submit adā€™ option. Hello, Gus?

Loretta: I think I had the same problem a few days ago. Are you logged in?

It says I am. Iā€™ll try logging out and then back in.