Need feedback for new Classifieds system: Forumosafieds.com

Uh, not everyone in Taiwan is a 外師 … is this some ominous sign of the impending englishteacherification of Forumosa?

The little ads at the bottom and sides on the forums are always the same ads. And ads don’t get deleted when they expire.

I see creation dates in the listings, and there are days of expiration in the ads themselves.

Which dates are you looking for?[/quote]

The only ads that have the creation dates are the housing available ads.

Would it be possible to put the creation date in all of the other categories?

I see creation dates in the listings, and there are days of expiration in the ads themselves.

Which dates are you looking for?[/quote]

The only ads that have the creation dates are the housing available ads.

Would it be possible to put the creation date in all of the other categories?[/quote]
Yes, this is possible - although the listings pages tend to get crowded having so many columns there. Do you really think it is valuable to have a Creation Date column for ALL types of ads?

Different types of ads have different “key” information in their respective listings pages. Which should we sacrifice to make room for Creation Date? Also, the recent postings page lists days to expiration - isn’t this useful enough

Please do not take my line of questioning the wrong way - the software is flexible enough to a degree that we can make a number of changes at your request. My main issue is to make sure that what changes we DO make will leave the pages better than before without sacrificing too much.

Help me understand what the complete solution will be - I am always interested to know how to make the websites more usable

g.

With jobs ads it is very helpful to know how old the vacancy is. Ditto with a lot of things, I would have thought.

[quote=“Goose Egg”]Yes, this is possible - although the listings pages tend to get crowded having so many columns there. Do you really think it is valuable to have a Creation Date column for ALL types of ads?

Different types of ads have different “key” information in their respective listings pages. Which should we sacrifice to make room for Creation Date? Also, the recent postings page lists days to expiration - isn’t this useful enough

Please do not take my line of questioning the wrong way - the software is flexible enough to a degree that we can make a number of changes at your request. My main issue is to make sure that what changes we DO make will leave the pages better than before without sacrificing too much.

Help me understand what the complete solution will be - I am always interested to know how to make the websites more usable

g.[/quote]

If your concern is the space issue, why not replace the “views” column with a “date posted” column? Afterall, how many views an ad has recieved has very little relevance to what the ad is about. This information can still be retained on the actual ad page.

Days till expiration is really more useful if you are the owner of the ad. If not, then I have to look at how many days are left, then think about when this ad was posted. But this process can be eliminated if the date of creation is on there.

It’s also nice to know when the ad was posted without having to click on it.

Mmm…but no response/change? Does none of what I say above make sense?

Also, some of the links to forumosafieds on the bottom left of the regular Forumosa page do not work properly. Namely, the Jobs group of links.

Jobs → leads to a blank page so it doesn’t work at all
Teaching → leads to the Forumosafieds index instead of the teaching jobs.
Agencies → leads to the Forumosafieds index instead of the agencies.
Other Jobs → leads to the Forumosafieds index instead of the other jobs.
Universities → leads to the Forumosafieds index instead of the university jobs.

Yes, yes, yes, and YES!

No. The first thing I look for in any ad is the creation date. I usually won’t bother responding to an ad that is more than one week old. If I can’t see when the ad was created, it is likely that I won’t respond at all. I think a lot of users are like me. I really hope you can add the feature to all Forumosafied ads.

Mmm…but no response/change? Does none of what I say above make sense?

Also, some of the links to forumosafieds on the bottom left of the regular Forumosa page do not work properly. Namely, the Jobs group of links.

Jobs → leads to a blank page so it doesn’t work at all
Teaching → leads to the Forumosafieds index instead of the teaching jobs.
Agencies → leads to the Forumosafieds index instead of the agencies.
Other Jobs → leads to the Forumosafieds index instead of the other jobs.
Universities → leads to the Forumosafieds index instead of the university jobs.[/quote]Sorry, lupillus, it’s budget season at the day job, so I’m logging a lot of extra hours there. Forgive me for making excuses

More importantly, I’m planning to move the entire website to a new server (this month! somehow). Let me take care of this first before tweaking the Forumosafieds

btw, I thought I had fixed those dead links, but I’ve obviously overlooked something :blush:

What he said applies to me. I used to click on ads that caught my eye when they were listed in the new posts function. I clicked Ran’s ad today in the Art’s and Entertainment forum because it was in the new post function. Often now I only catch the ads if someone tells the person who posts it publicly on the message board to post on the classifieds.

I’m sure there are people who only browse certain parts of the forum and maybe only click on the classifieds. I used to only read a couple of forums here then started reading more by using the new post function as time went on.

The classifieds would probably get more attention over all if they also appeared in the new posts function.

I whole-heartedly agree. I too never read the classifieds anymore. If the technology makes it possible, it would be really good to have the classifieds appear in the ‘new posts’.

Brian

I was a bit perplexed as to why I had to wait for an email and initial password in order to use the forumosafieds when I’m already a Forumosan. It also meant having to wait half a day before being able to post the ad. :s

Just posting in For Sale would have been faster and easier.

Then I encountered additional problems. Upon attempting to upload a pic file, I got an error msg saying the file name could contain no spaces; then I got another saying the file size couldn’t exceed 50 kb. The third attempt succeeded, but the result was a posting in triplicate. Go figure. :stuck_out_tongue:

But I deleted the duplicates; the ads look nice; and the bike sold VERY quickly. So a big thanks from me! :slight_smile:

A great service so thanks to all those responsible for organizing it.

The only problem I have encountered is attaching a photo to a “for sale” ad. I keep getting a message saying that "the attached photo exceeds the maximum 50000 byte. Is that possible- it was only a small photo. Despite numerous attempts I kept getting the same message. Perhaps I’m doing something wrong?

There are a few bugs that we need to address - one is the expiry dates of the ads - they’re not expiring automatically as they should. Second is the RSS feeds - we want the newest ads to display in special target areas on Forumosa. I imagine changing the properties of allowable picture uploads would be a small matter…

I whole-heartedly agree. I too never read the classifieds anymore. If the technology makes it possible, it would be really good to have the classifieds appear in the ‘new posts’.

Brian[/quote]

Same here…the classifieds are too unwieldly.

On the one hand, I definitely read the old For Sale threads more often. On the other, the same bike garnered much more interest more quickly in the classifieds.

It hasn’t found me a teacher yet, so of course I’m unhappy… :noway:

I want my money ba…shoot, it’s free. :blush:

Idont use the classfieds as much as the old forum posting. It is a bit unwieldly. And there is no way to comment on the seller.

Let’s say it is a misleading ad
or the seller has burned you in the past.

I trekked out like for an hour to take a look at this place for rent and it was completely not in rentable condition. The lister really mis-represented the apartment.

But with the new system, there is no way I can warn others.

I’d agree with the other posters:

it’s too unwieldy to make it worth clicking anymore.
I had to click through too many pages to get to stuff.
Then, I had to re-register to be able to post an ad.
There’s no way to comment on items for sale or warn other posters. That was extremely valuable.

It took me ages to get the email.
When I DID login, I couldn’t post an ad … there was just no obvious option to do this.
NOR was there any help that I could find.

I do understand that this is a volunteer organised effort, and I really apprecieate that! I do!

But I do think that you need to simplify the existing system, SERIOUSLY. OR junk it and go back to the old system.

I don’t think I will try to advertise here until such changes are made.

Best Wishes
Kenneth

How about making separate sections in the looking for teachers area for “Looking for Teachers” and “Looking for Jobs”?

I just think it would make things easier.

My NT2 worth.

Thanks gals and guys. This forum is excellent!!

:notworthy: