Need feedback for new Classifieds system: Forumosafieds.com

Lo Bo To,

Check out this thread.

[Need feedback for new Classifieds system: Forumosafieds.com

Since I’m already here…Sorry if this has been mentioned, the thread is long and I have not read it all.

Here’s what I’ve noticed. There’s no date on the posts? Or did I miss it? I posted my phone for sale yesterday and I saw an add from a girl who’s looking to buy a cell phone but I had no clue when she posted. Within a month I suppose since adds automaticaly get deleted.

Cheers!

bobepine

[quote=“bobepine”]
Here’s what I’ve noticed. There’s no date on the posts? [/quote]

Yeah, having dates on all ads, especially “jobs available”, would be very helpful.

Well, even though it’s all been mentioned already, here’s my thoughts.

I just advertised a monitor for sale. Several days later it’s had like 5 views (probably 2 of those are mine).

I bought several things in the “old days” because the ads showed up in the latest posts. For example, I wasn’t looking for a mountain bike at the time, but the ad came up and I thought it was a good deal, so I bought it. Same thing happened with a couple of guitars that I bought (and some other stuff).

What I’m trying to say is that unless someone is pro-actively looking for something you’re selling, they won’t notice your ad now. Is there no way of bouncing the latest ads into the latest posts section here?

I might as well advertise at TEALIT. In fact I think I’m going to do that now (I’d really prefer not to).

I also think the fact that your user name is not mentioned is a serious drawback, as people who know (and trust) you might not realise it is YOU doing the selling.

The situtation as is is NOT the way things are going to remain. Gus and I believe that for the classifieds to succeed, we need to have the two websites integrated - that is, we want to have constant RSS input from the classifieds on Forumosa. The problem is the software we are currently using is giving us some hiccups. We are actively looking at ways to fix the problem, but of course, any progress we make is undetectable until we fully implement it. We WILL have rocking classifieds - we won’t be satisfied until we do. Until that time, you have our apologies. :blush:

No problem. It’s good to know that you are actively trying to integrate the two.

My phone sold already. Worked for me, and it’s free. :slight_smile:

bobepine

I’ve been trying to access the “Recent Ads” section, but it’s given me error messages for 2 days to the tune of “Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 39 bytes) in /var/www/noah/gorum/oldpresentation/htmllist.php on line 208”

Anyone else having this problem?

[quote=“bobepine”]
Here’s what I’ve noticed. There’s no date on the posts? [/quote]

Heeey! You fixed that already! I see that adds now have the date they were created. That was fast gentlemen. Thank you, that’s definetely an improvement. :slight_smile:

bobepine

That’s wonderful, but I’m still getting the same error message and can’t access the “Recent Ads”.

[quote=“Josefus”]That’s wonderful, but I’m still getting the same error message and can’t access the “Recent Ads”.[/quote]I tried just to see and I got the same error message so it’s not just you.

Now fix it you slackers! :wink:

bobepine

Going on 4 or 5 days now and the Recent Ads still don’t work.
Is anyone on this?

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Hmm…
Does that mean “We’re working on it”?

I applied for a job and didn’t get it.

[quote=“Josefus”]Going on 4 or 5 days now and the Recent Ads still don’t work.
Is anyone on this?[/quote]
Thanks for keeping on this, Josefus. To answer your question: no, no one is working on fixing the bug you’ve identified.

We simply won’t get to this for (at least) another 2 weeks. I should have made that clear the first time you brought it up :blush:

I’m also still trying to think of a solution for how to combine the recent classifieds and the recent posts on the same page. As was mentioned earlier, keeping Forumosa and the Forumosafieds distinct is simply asking Forumosans to go away to another website. This is the opposite of what we are after.

FWIW, a working version of these forums has already been set up on the new server. I need to work out some issues before inviting our moderators and regulars to help “speed test” the site (if you want to help out, PM me or send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa so we can tell you where to go). After we are comfortable with the forum migration, we’ll look to move the classifieds over - and THEN you might see some serious improvements.

Your comments and suggestions for the Forumosafieds are valuable. Nothing is sacred - so, if we identify a solution that forces us to re-think some of our previous decisions, so be it. Please keep letting us know what you would like to see

Cheers

As the server switch progresses, we’ll be installing new software for the Forumosafieds - Please check our blog to stay up to date on our progress