Need help with work opportunities in light of lockdown

Then he’d need to risk Covid.

They are good because the license required to be a street performer is very hard to get. There are auditions. Only about 5% are accepted by a panel of judges.

they changed the system, and now the license is given by registration.

1 Like

Ohhh is that all areas?How do they decide who gets what location ? is there an almighty street fight as to who gets near the 101?

I think his guitar skills are better than he lets on, but he is introverted to play. Could always knock back a few whiskeys and sing some Taiwanese love songs😀 Problem is the streets are.not exactly packed with people now.

I guess this site explains.

https://tpbusker.gov.taipei/place.aspx

2 Likes

Thanks. That is useful info. Appreciated. @Taiwan_Luthiers go for it man. You will get better the more you play outside. Hell, I might apply myself !

1 Like

The 5-people limit is only for private settings (e.g. you cannot have more than 5 people visiting you at your home (not counting the people living together), not for businesses.

1 Like

I am glad you are going to see a therapist on Monday. I hope you don’t use the current outbreak as an excuse to not go. Word of warning. They are not going to just hand over high strength anti-depressants on your first visit. No doctor in England or Australia would do that either. And you would have to Dr shop in the US to find one that would just willingly prescribe you xanax or other mood disorder drugs.

You will need to actually talk about your depression. And if you get a good Dr they will want you to develop strategies to recognize and address your issues.

I wish you all the best and hope you can find a path forward.

3 Likes

https://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=Mandarin+Writer

Taiwan Luthiers , if things don’t come naturally to you , make some rules for your online interaction. Like peoples replies to you and or say thanks. Say something like I will try that too.

But regarding your situation. I will also be stuffed by the pandemic. But whilst there was not much I could think of to earn during the lockdown, I have lots of things in place to take advantage of the time so I can bounce back hard once it’s over.

You could perhaps make a blog with some videos of you doing aspects of your work that are interesting. People will be online more if they are locked down. You could contact bands and sell them bespoke guitars. You don’t have to earn the money from today’s work.

3 Likes

Do whatever you have to do to pay rent and basic expenses.
Then if you are able to order stuff online start a small online store and build it up one product at a time.
Start with 3M Sandblaster Sandpaper for example…break the packs apart and sell by the sheet. Post your store here and I’ll be the first to order 3 single sheets of 180, 220, and 320 grits…even if you knock the price up 50%. There’s no decent sandpaper in Taiwan…at least not easy to find.
Then add another product you are familiar with…one by one… finishing materials, abrasives, resins, blade stock, whatever you are familiar with… That’s all that such supply companies do…they source from all over and keep adding items with a profit added on… Unload the stuff that doesnt move at cost or even a small loss and add something else.

3 Likes

Maybe those tea houses are hiring?

2 Likes

Importing stuff from the USA/UK/Australia/New Zealand that are difficult to get would be a service I think would be welcomed so we don’t have to deal with that ez way app.

1 Like

OP - you know even the blind people also work as foot massage
And they travelled by themselves with their walking sticks - I admired them without complaint.

2 Likes

Since you have some manufacturing and translation experience, why don’t you merge those two and offer your service globally? You can find the best/cheapest quotations for different manufacturing/machining jobs for clients worldwide. Just be the bridge and take the profit.

You can begin with some free-template website, FB page…

1 Like

Do they have private individual peep show booths?
I knew a guy who had a clean-up job in SF at one of those places.

OP could do it if someone would tell him who needs a quotation and who needs a customer.

3 Likes

iirc, OP mentioned getting a degree from online course somewhere. @Taiwan_Luthiers, did you already get your degree? I might spend this time and a part of money to move to China for getting a degree.

2 Likes

That has not been my experience in Taiwan.

The shrinks at Veteran General Hospital prescribed Xanax the first time I visited them. They also hand out SSRI and other stuff like candy.