Need to fully stop at "non-signalized" intersections?

I’ve just seen in another thread that the police currently enforces a rule that a full stop is required at non-signalized intersections:

I also found a news article about this:

The campaign will also focus on fining motorists who fail to stop first at non-signalized intersections by following instructions provided by road traffic signs, markings and signals, before moving forward again.

What kind of intersections are meant by those “non-signalized intersections”? Does this really refer to all intersections without traffic lights?

Does anyone know which laws govern the traffic at intersections in Taiwan?

I thought I had read about the most important traffic rules in Taiwan - but so far, I hadn’t heard about the necessity to come to a full stop in those cases…

1 Like

I found some information about the traffic at intersections on the website of the Taichung city government:

Traffic at intersections

• Drivers should follow the traffic light or the instruction of traffic police. If the traffic police and the light are both present, the driver should follow the instruction of the traffic police.
  • At intersections without any light signs or instruction of traffic police, follow the rule of “ first come, first go”.
  • Car at branch lines should yield to the cars at distributor routes.
  • Drivers who are going to make a turn should yield to those who drive straight.
  • If both drivers are driving straight or making turns, the car on the left should yield to the one on the right.
  • When both cars coming from opposite directions enter the same lane after making turns, the one making right turn should yield to the one making left turn.
  • At round about with a single lane, the cars, which are already in the round about, should go first.
  • At roundabouts (traffic circles) about with multiple lanes, the cars at inner lane should go first.

No word about needing to fully stop…

It this so? This is different from German traffic rules.

The car on the left should always yield to the one on the right (no signs or lights present, same road type, lane count).

Edit: actually no expetions

1 Like

The information I can find online about traffic laws in Taiwan is surprisingly contradictory: Some websites say that one needs to yield to traffic from the right - others say it’s first come first go. And then there’s the thing about the full stop (for me “yielding” would not necessarily imply “fully stopping in all cases”)…

In Germany, cars wanting to make a left turn also need to yield to cars going straight.

4 Likes

I am guessing this was incorrectly translated. Does anybody know where the traffic rules in Chinese are kept?

1 Like

Same. Full stop is only required when there is a stop sign.

5 Likes

Maybe that’s what the people are being fined for these days…? Although I haven’t seen as many stop signs in Taiwan as for example in the US…

I also wouldn’t be surprised if the Taichung City government would put wrong information on their website…

I found the Road Traffic Management and Penalty Act online - but that one mostly talks about fines and not so much about right of way…

We have an intersection that I pass daily going back from work, where Taiwanese do not yield to the cars on the right to the point of almost causing an accident.
They think going straight has priority over cars on the right turning right.

They are in a hurry since the next intersection has a long red light and they don’t want to wait.

The “yield to the cars on the right” doesn’t seem to be an universal rule in Taiwan, though.

An according to the “Taichung rules”, this is actually true:

But then they also talk about the first come, first go… They even contradict themselves…

So I cannot really tell if they’re actually doing anything wrong or not…

I think that’s for the intersections with STOP sign or flashing red light.
I’ve been driving in Taiwan for 7 years and yet to see anyone do a full stop on STOP/flashing red if not forced by the traffic conditions…

On the other hand, doing a full stop just for the purpose of complying with the rules even the intersection is empty is an overkill. I’ve only seen people doing that while driving in US :smiley: everywhere else I’ve driven STOP on an empty intersection means YIELD, maybe be a little more careful than if there was just YIELD sign :wink:

1 Like

There’s probably a pamphlet somewhere? Or written on the back of a napkin…

2 Likes

道路交通安全規則
第 102 條
未設標誌、標線或號誌劃分幹、支線道者,少線道車應暫停讓多線道車先行;車道數相同時,轉彎車應暫停讓直行車先行;同為直行車或轉彎車者,左方車應暫停讓右方車先行。但在交通壅塞時,應於停止線前暫停與他方雙向車輛互為禮讓,交互輪流行駛。

2 Likes

Which god is responsible for road traffic…? :thinking:

1 Like

However, in the case of traffic congestion, vehicles should come to a temporary stop before the stop line and take turns yielding to vehicles from the opposite direction, allowing alternating flow.

This might apply then as that intersection is generally congested. But you will wait forever until Taiwanese do alternating flow. They block the intersection going bumper to bumper.

Not always, it depends on what kind of road they are driving, main road or side road.

ChatGPT-translation of that paragraph:

When approaching an intersection without traffic signals or in the case of signal malfunction without traffic personnel directing traffic, vehicles on the minor road should temporarily stop and yield to vehicles on the main road. If there are no signs, markings, or signals indicating the main and minor roads, vehicles on the narrower road should temporarily stop and yield to vehicles on the wider road. When the number of lanes is the same, turning vehicles should temporarily stop and yield to vehicles going straight. If both vehicles are going straight or turning, the vehicle on the left should temporarily stop and yield to the vehicle on the right. However, in the case of heavy traffic congestion, vehicles should stop before the stop line and take turns yielding to vehicles from the opposite direction, allowing them to proceed alternately.

At least in the translation, they always talk about “should temporarily stop and yield”. Not sure about the exact meaning in Chinese, though…

On the other hand, yield to right seems to apply only when the roads are of same importance and same width - and unless someone is going straight and the other one is turning.

1 Like

Indeed, but we are talking about same road type from all sides.

If one road has more lanes, they have priority.

It means you need to full stop, look and continue if safe, or yield.

1 Like

No. This only refers to intersections with stop signs or stop markings or flashing red lights.

I’m finding it harder and harder to trust ChatGPT. Here’s what I got:

Please translate the following law into English:
道路交通安全規則 2
第 102 條
未設標誌、標線或號誌劃分幹、支線道者,少線道車應暫停讓多線道車先行;車道數相同時,轉彎車應暫停讓直行車先行;同為直行車或轉彎車者,左方車應暫停讓右方車先行。但在交通壅塞時,應於停止線前暫停與他方雙向車輛互為禮讓,交互輪流行駛。

Road Traffic Safety Regulations 2
Article 102
When there are no signs, markings, or signals to divide the main road and its branches, vehicles in fewer lane(s) should yield to vehicles in multiple lanes; when the number of lanes is the same, turning vehicles should yield to vehicles going straight; when both vehicles are going straight or turning, vehicles on the left should yield to vehicles on the right. However, in the case of traffic congestion, vehicles should stop before the stop line and yield to vehicles from the opposite direction, allowing for alternating and reciprocal movement.

I think that’s incorrect. Don’t you mean that vehicles on the right should yield to vehicles on the left?

Apologies for the confusion. You are correct. Here’s the corrected translation:

Article 102
When there are no signs, markings, or signals to divide the main road and its branches, vehicles in fewer lane(s) should yield to vehicles in multiple lanes; when the number of lanes is the same, turning vehicles should yield to vehicles going straight; when both vehicles are going straight or turning, vehicles on the right should yield to vehicles on the left. However, in the case of traffic congestion, vehicles should stop before the stop line and yield to vehicles from the opposite direction, allowing for alternating and reciprocal movement.

I think “in the case of traffic congestion” is wrong too. Shouldn’t that be “when the road is empty”?

Apologies once again for the incorrect information. Here’s the revised translation:

Article 102
When there are no signs, markings, or signals to divide the main road and its branches, vehicles in fewer lane(s) should yield to vehicles in multiple lanes; when the number of lanes is the same, turning vehicles should yield to vehicles going straight; when both vehicles are going straight or turning, vehicles on the right should yield to vehicles on the left. However, when the road is empty, vehicles should stop before the stop line and yield to vehicles from the opposite direction, allowing for alternating and reciprocal movement.

2 Likes