Need to fully stop at "non-signalized" intersections?

Why are you using ChatGPT as a translation tool? Use Google Translate

1 Like

I’m not (that was part of my point), and I do.

Ah, I replied to the wrong person.

Are you really surprised ?

1 Like

yes, but there is no penalty on the rule when there are no signs or markings.

1 Like

No.

I had some good experience using ChatGPT for translation in the past - but probably not a good idea in this case :sweat_smile:

Second attempt using DeepL:

When there is no sign or sign failure and there is no traffic commander to direct the intersection, the branch lane vehicle should be suspended to give way to the main road vehicle first. In the absence of signs, markings or signals dividing the trunk and branch lanes, the less lane car shall suspend to give way to the more lane car first; when the number of lanes is the same, the turning car shall suspend to give way to the straight car first; when both are straight or turning car, the left car shall suspend to give way to the right car first. However, in case of traffic congestion, vehicles in both directions should be suspended before the stop line to give way to each other and drive on opposite wheels.

Google Translate:

When traveling to an intersection where there is no signal or the signal is faulty and there is no traffic commander to command, the branch road vehicle should stop to let the main road vehicle go ahead. If there are no signs, markings or signals to divide the main lanes and branch lanes, the vehicles with fewer lanes should stop to let the vehicles with more lanes go first; Otherwise, the car on the left should stop and let the car on the right go first. However, when traffic is congested, you should stop before the stop line to give way to other two-way vehicles and take turns driving alternately.

Google Translate seems to leave out the part about the straight and the turning car… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Mhh, but why are they apparently fining drivers about this, then…? :thinking:

they are fining drivers when there are signs, markings, or pedestrians.

This might be wrong.

道路交通管理處罰條例
第 45 條

1. 汽車駕駛人,爭道行駛有下列情形之一者,處新臺幣六百元以上一千八百元以下罰鍰:

十五、行經無號誌交叉路口及巷道不依規定或標誌、標線指示。

this could include the rule.

1 Like

It’s weird. I haven’t much used it for translation, but I’ve put English text I’ve edited through several times to check for outstanding errors and list them as bullet points, and I also got the impression that it’s gotten worse recently.

Worse, actually, to the point I don’t find it too useful anymore. Usually it suggests things that are either wrong, not better, or I’ve already corrected (i.e., it suggests I change the text to what it already is).

1 Like

It’s funny that nobody really knows the right-of-way rules in these little intersections with no stop signs, even though they represent the vast majority of neighborhood intersections in Taiwan.

From what I’ve observed, the rules are:

If you’re a taxi driver, you just honk your horn without even slowing down and hope nobody rams into you from the side while you speed through the intersection.

If you’re everyone else, you just slow down and play a game of chicken to decide who gets to go first.

1 Like

So looking at the Chinese it all makes sense with how I have experienced traffic rules in Taiwan. In general, faster cars (on faster, bigger roads) go first. All things being completely equal, you must yield to the right.

I think it’s a little more complex than that. There also seems to be a rule that states whoever approaches the intersection goes first, a rule that states turning vehicles yield to ones going straight, and a rule that states vehicles traveling on the two roads alternate one vehicle at a time.

All of the rules above (in addition to yielding to the right) are for roads with equal widths, and which rule you follow depends on the situation. I’m still not exactly sure what each of those situations are, even after reading through the laws.

Not to mention scooters don’t really follow these rules. If a chain of scooters approach an intersection, they seem to think they are one single long vehicle. A scooter train, if you will.

I’ve been told by a local in the small alleyways that are relatively busy, there will be 停 or 慢 painted on the ground, which equate to the “stop” and “yield” in America. However real life enforcement of this only comes into play when there’s an accident and the police determine who is more at fault. :person_shrugging:

My observation is that most small intersections don’t have anything painted, even though they aren’t much less busier than the ones that do have those words painted.

Actually, 慢 equates to “slow” in America, or a flashing yellow light. You don’t necessarily have to yield when you see it, because it doesn’t determine right-of-way. It only serves to warn of possible danger ahead.

It is sometimes painted on large roads near alleyways, even though they have the right-of-way. It is also sometimes painted on alleyways without right-of-way.

Instead of making drivers compare which street is bigger than which, they should just paint 讓 (Yield) or inverted triangles on the small roads like they do pretty much everywhere else in the world:

I’ve only see these painted in two or three smaller towns in Taiwan.

Is not the horn? Lol

Ignoring the lights in the image, if I understand the rule correctly, the blue car has the right of way. Is that correct?

Correct

From what I’ve seen, a lot of minor intersections have a white stripe going across to indicate where you would stop if you were going to stop? Sometimes I see people stop, but often not. And in cases where it’s a blind intersection (can’t see if anyone is coming) people still just kinda go through. Myself included. :man_shrugging:

I hate driving in neighborhoods in the US, where there’s stop signs at every damn intersection.

1 Like

Thanks, I had a suspicion that was correct but wasn’t sure as it is different from the US.

1 Like

The triangle means “give way”

1 Like

Right. This is different from a lot of other countries.