NetFlix Coming to Taiwan? Do they or will they have subtitles?

Should I be happy that Netflix is coming to Taiwan. Will they have subtitles on their local Taiwanese/Hongkong/Chinese movies. I’ve become a big fan recently. I used to like them more in the past when all the stations had open English subtitles. That has stopped, unfortunately.

Will they have the same catalog of American TV shows that they have in the states? What do you think the price would be? Could I ditch my proxy?

Already being talked about in this thread: "Netflix coming to Taiwan in early 2016"

This page suggests there will be Chinese subtitles. The same site guesses the monthly rate will be around NT$180.

Here’s the list of what’s available on Netflix Japan - and it’s not a very promising list. Of course, Taiwan won’t have the same list, but I guess the Japan catalogue is the best comparison we have at the moment.

I’ll be signing up almost for sure in order to watch Netflix’s own shows - Jessica Jones and Master of None have gotten great reviews. Plus next year Netflix’s deal with Disney starts, which I assume will mean a bunch of stuff from Pixar and Marvel. But I’m not sure if I’ll be keeping it once I go through the Netflix shows that I want to see. I gather that Netflix’s streaming movie selection isn’t what it used to be.

I doubt you’ll want to ditch the proxy. Netflix’s programming varies a lot from country to country, so I’ll certainly be using a proxy at some point to use my Netflix account to access American content.

Awesome, will they have Game of Thrones?

No on GoT, or any HBO content for that matter.

Damn.

More info here:

hbowatch.com/how-to-watch-game-o … es-online/

Oh, man. That’s a real pity.

Fear not. I am trying out HBO Go now. 30 day free trial. Don’t know if it is available in Taiwan though.

EDIT: One workaround is to buy a 40USD a year dummy US server/private VPN, see here:

forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?p= … df6bf72575

[quote=“HenHaoChi”]Fear not. I am trying out HBO Go now. 30 day free trial. Don’t know if it is available in Taiwan though.

EDIT: One workaround is to buy a 40USD a year dummy US server/private VPN …[/quote]
For what it’s worth when I had Witopia (the main service mentioned at that link), I couldn’t sign up for Netflix from here in Taiwan, with my computer pretending to be in the USA or Canada. It just kept saying there was a problem and the purchase couldn’t be processed. I gather more under-the-radar VPNs may work - and I also have the impression that if you already have a Netflix account, then Witopia will let you change regions. I don’t currently have Witopia, but I’ve enjoyed it in the past for watching World Cup matches, or for watching ice hockey from Canada.

There are plenty of proxies out there, at varying degrees of reliability and sketchiness. Even by using one you’re ever so slightly going to the legally grey side of the internet, and Witopia seemed like one of the ones that I wasn’t too nervous about providing with credit card info. Others seem better for different purposes - they advertise how good they are for torrent anonymity, for example - but I’m much warier of those.

I smirked at a news story this morning about “Game of Thrones” being the most pirated show of 2015. Dude, I want to pay - let me!

Anyway, I’m looking forward to Netflix arriving here, and to trying it out. I thought the stories back in September said that it’d be starting operations in January, but the more recent stories talk about the first quarter.

Thanks for the info. It’s all new to me. There must be a way around it.

If you are worried about providing CC info to an online merchant, some of them may allow a paypal subscription.

I read that HBO don’t care too much if you do pirate GoT, because they are busy “creating future addicts” (I need to find the exact quote) - I wonder how many millions of dollars revenue they are missing >per day< by ignoring the overseas markets.

[quote=“lostinasia”][quote=“HenHaoChi”]Fear not. I am trying out HBO Go now. 30 day free trial. Don’t know if it is available in Taiwan though.

EDIT: One workaround is to buy a 40USD a year dummy US server/private VPN …[/quote]
For what it’s worth when I had Witopia (the main service mentioned at that link), I couldn’t sign up for Netflix from here in Taiwan, with my computer pretending to be in the USA or Canada. It just kept saying there was a problem and the purchase couldn’t be processed. I gather more under-the-radar VPNs may work - and I also have the impression that if you already have a Netflix account, then Witopia will let you change regions. I don’t currently have Witopia, but I’ve enjoyed it in the past for watching World Cup matches, or for watching ice hockey from Canada.

There are plenty of proxies out there, at varying degrees of reliability and sketchiness. Even by using one you’re ever so slightly going to the legally grey side of the internet, and Witopia seemed like one of the ones that I wasn’t too nervous about providing with credit card info. Others seem better for different purposes - they advertise how good they are for torrent anonymity, for example - but I’m much warier of those.

That’s unusual, as I am using Witopia without any issues to connect to Netflix. Hulu had some issues, but after contacting Witopia, they advised which of the gateways is Hulu-friendly. The only problem with Witopia is that it doesn’t work with an Apple TV… Apart from that, I’ve been enjoying my Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, ITV, as well as Aussie network shows… a wise investment of about 70 USD / year…

I smirked at a news story this morning about “Game of Thrones” being the most pirated show of 2015. Dude, I want to pay - let me!

Anyway, I’m looking forward to Netflix arriving here, and to trying it out. I thought the stories back in September said that it’d be starting operations in January, but the more recent stories talk about the first quarter.[/quote]

That’s unusual, as I am using Witopia without any issues to connect to Netflix. Hulu had some issues, but after contacting Witopia, they advised which of the gateways is Hulu-friendly. The only problem with Witopia is that it doesn’t work with an Apple TV… Apart from that, I’ve been enjoying my Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, ITV, as well as Aussie network shows… a wise investment of about 70 USD / year.[/quote]
Cool to hear that Hulu works. I’ll be getting around to that one of these days.

Did you use Witopia when you first signed up with Netflix, or did you already have an account? My problem was it wouldn’t even let me sign up. I didn’t try that hard - I probably used a few different gateways - but I simply couldn’t finish registration. A bit of research at the time suggested that Netflix is picky about using VPNs to register, but if you’ve already got an account, they don’t care as much.

With Apple TV - something I’ll be getting soon - how do you manage region-blocked online content on your TV? Or do you just watch that on your computer? I’m assuming that lots of the “good” Apple TV apps aren’t actually useful here, unless there’s some kind of way to add a VPN on the Apple TV. I’m guessing it’ll be the same for Netflix when it starts operation here, although I’m concerned about how well a Canada-iTunes-account Netflix app will handle Taiwanese content.

It’s up. With choices of subtitles. And a fairly paltry selection.

It’s up and working, got the choices of subtitles and good content. I do not say the content here on Taiwanese Netflix is not good or not up to the mark. But there is a huge difference in the content available in the Netflix American Library and the rest of the world for instance Taiwan.
So, in order to watch the American Netflix content from anywhere I use the best Netflix VPN which is PureVPN. It is not that expensive around $3.5 approximately if you get the two year subscription plan. All you need is to connect the VPN and use its built in Channel feature which helps to access the American content.
It is only advisable to use a VPN if you really cannot live without watching the American Netflix. If you are satisfied with the Taiwanese shows and movies content on Netflix, it will be advisable not to use a VPN.

Or download from …

I use Windscribe VPN. You can watch Netflix US and Netflix UK. (obviously not the free version)
I am very happy with them.

Is Netflix in Taiwan yet? Tried to sign up (really want to binge Bojack Horseman), but kept having all my cards blocked.

Netflix Taiwan

Netflix Taiwan (Mandarin)

Thanks, but ugh… I wouldn’t even know how to navigate that. Does it have Bojack at least?

It’s easy, create an account and start. 1 month free trial.

Yes.

1 Like