New air raid shelter signs

Maybe it’s just a preliminary measure before they put up the final version of the signs. Downstairs we have had evacuation signs for many years, probably meant for earthquakes, though.

1 Like

Here’s an older article (March 2022) about the state of the bomb shelters. The concept seems to be somewhat untested and over-optimistic.

According to the article:

In the event of a major disaster such as a Chinese attack, the police are responsible for coordinating evacuations. In Taichung, my friend explained, there are 625 boroughs and the borough wardens are responsible for coordinating the evacuation of the people in their neighborhoods. The disaster plans will be sent down to them, and they will direct people to designated evacuation sites.

Still no mention of exactly how they will open the door, though.

Taiwan_Luthiers mentioned that there were civil exercises going on recently, presumably to get people familiar with and to increase the practical utility of these shelters. Does anyone have any information on the “exercises” currently being conducted?

I think these have something to do with the civil defense drills that are taking place across the country over the next couple of months.

Taipei just held theirs a couple of Thursdays ago.

In my building it’s a keychain fob rather than a smart card, but I assume it’s basically the same tech.

Oh no, wokeness has reached Taiwan! :smile_cat: :runaway:

1 Like

The new version of the Air Defense Shelters signs
You can check the location of these shelters in the following website

sources and more info:

https://www.hchpb.gov.tw/hchpb01/index.php?catid=60&id=221

2 Likes

Why would the signs be even necessary? Every building has a basement. In the event of an air raid, just head into a basement near you.

I guess those signs are not for people living close to those signs, but outsiders who happen to be there when the sirens go off. You have like just a few minutes to figure out where to hide. Also, a lot of basements are normally closed so you would want to run to a building that gives you access.

2 Likes

Yup, I noticed them recently too (Taipei metro area).

Apartment complexes in KH are putting them up. As others said, many point to the basements and underground parking lots.

If a missile does hit at night… is it safe to be underground in a basement, or will it become a concrete tomb?

2 Likes

I suppose it depends on the building, how it was constructed, and what happens? When @lostinasia posted above about his underground parking lot, it did occur to me that one might not want the rest of the building falling on top of them. :man_shrugging:

I live pretty close to one of the riverside parks. I have wondered if it might be safer to go there than a random old basement, but not sure. I’m guessing that China probably wouldn’t seek to (deliberately) bomb parkland and a river (though perhaps the bridges).

2 Likes

Yeah I was just wondering that myself. I live close to the beach, and I’m sure nobody would bomb that.

Unless maybe they were clearing debris in preparation for an amphibious landing.

I have a fob, I’ve seen other people in my building use a card

1 Like

I think the problem is an untested military using untested “made in China” munitions are going to be off target sometimes. As often as they miss and hit buildings they will miss and hit parks and beaches. If they do miss in my area, I’d rather have some concrete between me and the explosion!

If the beach or park is near a military installation, more chances of a stray hit, better to stay away. In Kaohsiung for example there are naval ships and radar emplacements on and around Monkey Mountain, not a great area if shit hits the fan

5 Likes

In that case, denizens of Hsinchu would be very safe. The Chinese would love to have TSMC to be their prize possession.

1 Like

How about MRTs? I presume they’d be used as air defense shelters too?

1 Like

Brown line is close to my house

Taiwan’s apartment buildings are basically solid concrete blocks. Unless they cut corners and put oil tins in the pillars.

1 Like

MRT underground stations are actually the best shelter.

3 Likes

That’s why North Korea has the deepest subways in the world.

1 Like