New Economic Immigration Bill

i’m mostly concerned with the 183 days/year rule for APRC based on marriage. hope for a reform coming soon

3 Likes

The new session of the legislative yuan is open, and this bill has been in the news in recent days. My reading is that the current session is focused mainly on budget, but our friends at the national development council are pushing hard to get a special entry for this bill into a review committee.

5 Likes

is this bill already approved?

Not yet.

When do you think it would be approved?

According to the Legislative Yuan website (search for 新經濟移民法), there has been no recent movement. Additionally, there are no recent news articles.

The legislative yuan sits until the end of December. However, given the inflammatory nature of immigration legislation and the typical desire to avoid controversy prior to elections, there is a non-zero chance this bill will be delayed until after the election.

1 Like

Meaning, waiting for the election to be finished first before the bill will be approved?

Correct. I think the closer we get to the election the higher the chance is this bill will be delayed until a while afterward.

1 Like

:pensive:

Hoping this bill will be approved before the election:pray:

I also hope I’ll suddenly receive a million dollars—doesn’t mean it’s gonna happen.

But seriously, if you want to be in Taiwan at least try to understand the political terrain. I get why these lawmakers don’t want to stick their necks out between now and January. I also hope things get back on track early in the new year.

Guy

Yeah that’s one of what i’m hoping for, to get back on track early in the new year.

May I ask what would be the minimum monthly salary on the new economic immigration bill?

They might remove the minimum salary for foreign professionals.

Really looking forward the removal of 183 days minimum stay for APRC holders

1 Like

it would be a delight to have this removed but i believe you can apply for an exception form online for a leave of up to 2 years. And it can be applied continuously without any hassle.

Yes, that’s what they say, but I am wondering in what type of ‘leave’ it applies. They say if you have health problems or elderly family it is ok. But what about all other possible reasons?

It’s not getting voted on till after the election. To

I left for researching AG systems fir almost a year on aprc. Wrote a page submitted online. Was alowed back in afterwards :slight_smile: never left long enough to need an extension though.

Common sense and creative story writing is about all that seems to be needed.

2 Likes

So, as you know, today is the last day in the Legislative Yuan session. The New Economic Immigration Bill (新經濟移民法) will not pass this session. The next session will be held from February to May, and the Minister of the NDC is on record saying they will push for its inclusion on the agenda for February. Since it’s a new session, this will be considered a completely new submission of the bill, undoing the previous progress.

Though there has been no official legislative progress, the bill has been in the news again recently. Aside from the tireless promotion by the NDC, we started getting the first comments from legislators. Legislator Jang Show-ling (鄭秀玲) of the New Power Party played the “foreigners stealing Taiwanese jobs” card and pushed to raise the educational requirements for intermediate technicians to university bachelor level. Several legislators responded to this, providing information about the Vocational Training and Further Education sectors in other countries, such as Germany.

The Taiwan Federation of Industry has also pushed their members to respond to the legislation.

13 Likes