New Economic Immigration Bill

I suspect the central government may have other priorities right now . . .

Guy

Talking about the New Economic Immigration Act, that has not shown signs of life for some time.

Talking about the amendments to the Foreign Talent Act, that did actually make it to the legislature last Friday. However, they decided to end the session at 4pm, just as it was the Foreign Talent Acts turn for debate. In theory it is scheduled for Tuesday, but news says LY is not sitting next week? Although, on Friday they did test a video conferencing/remote voting solution…

3 Likes

right, that’s what I’m referring to

Thanks, yes I always forget to make that distinction. Interesting info, appreciated as always.

as well

1 Like

The Focus Taiwan piece is way clearer and less misleading than the confusingly written piece by the K-Man linked above.

Guy

Anyone care to outline what the bill proposes? Nvm
Reading above clips

Basic purpose: to try to attract, and make life easier, for specific professional types to come and work in Taiwan.

More details about the latest round of amendments can be glimpsed in the Focus Taiwan piece linked above.

It’s not going to benefit everyone (example: it won’t help me), but at least things are moving in the right direction . . .

Guy

1 Like

Does this mean it has officially passed? Or just another round closer?

Not yet law. But it cleared the Legislative Yuan, which is the biggest hurdle methinks.

We need a real pro like @fifieldt (and not an amateur like me) to show up and tell us more.

Guy

1 Like

Guy’s got it. One the President signs the bill, it is then law. That usually happens within a couple weeks. However, the practical implementation of all of the changes with take some months. What’s happening right now is NDC (as the “owner” of the program) is coordinating with all the departments involved to determine implementation timelines.

The NDC press release in Chinese has a table summarizing the major changes: https://www.ndc.gov.tw/nc_27_35068

5 Likes

Awesome, thanks to you both! I’m excited.

1 Like

That’s all well and good, but the fact still remains that many industries are closed off to foreigners in general. Obviously there are exceptions, but most of the large financial firms for example don’t have any foreigners working there. Still its good that the government is trying, now will industry cooperate?

From what I understand, there are 3 very important parts to this new law:

Two for “Special Professionals”:
(Which includes Gold Card holders and I don’t know who else?)
1) The APRC residency requirements changing from 5 years down to 3 for Special Professionals.
2) The waiver of the 6 month waiting time for NHI for applicant and their family.

This is nice, but really only for Gold Card holders.

And for everyone (well, not quite everyone):
3) Now when a professional of any type gets their APRC, and Open Work Permit, their dependents (spouse and children) also get the Open Work Permit, which previously they had to wait ten years(?) after their family member got their APRC to get the Open work permit.

Number 3 is a very big deal for many people I think.

3 Likes

For foreign families it is a big deal for sure.

1 Like

What is a ‘special professional?’

3 Likes

Thanks @Tando!

Someone on my facebook mentioned that the amendment is required to go into effect by Jan 1, 2023, though of course it might be implemented sooner.

didn’t followup on his source