New Economic Immigration Bill

I’m happy to see it’s slowly moving but being a negative Nellie, I don’t hold out much hope for positive change. For one politicians have been debating this for many years and never reach consensus.

Even if it passes the political hurdles, professional companies here need to a) offer competitive salaries and b) offer jobs to foreign nationals in the first place. I’ve visited various white collar offices and almost without exception, none of them had western employees. They often have mainland chinese workers or the odd Japanese person only.

And then the political instability to attract foreigners in the first place

Does that mean they’ve passed it now? Or not yet?
New bill allows foreign professionals permanent residence after 3 years in Taiwan

Any news how the “3 years” will be calculated?

Great question. Just to clarify, the bill they are talking about in that news article, and the one that recently passed Executive Yuan approval is not the New Economic Immigration Act. It’s instead an amendment to the Foreign Talent Act. The content about permanent residence for Gold Card holders after 3 years is the same in both bills, but the Foreign Talent Act is a much smaller set of changes.

What happens now is the bill will be sent to the Legislative Yuan, where it has to pass three readings. Then presidential assent, then implementation by the relevant ministries. We probably can’t say for sure how the treatment will be for existing visa holders until that last step is done.

6 Likes

Just in time for a new class of displaced Americans to come to Taiwan…

160nt per hour minimum wage in Taiwan is actually really close to America’s $7.25 minimum wage, especially accounting for the stronger NTD, and that Taiwan’s purchasing power is about double as America.

this will be great. and hopefully the 3 will be based on 183+ days each year…or 2 years without leave.
and hopefully they put in good policies in place to improve english language ability in the local population, and improvement in air quality, I will make this my permanent base.

Is this even an option? I got my 3 year gold card, but spent more than six months of its validity before coming to Taiwan. Either way have to reapply, or convert to a regular work ARC. I assume there is a few more months needed in between fulfilling the requirement and applying/getting the APRC.

learn local language.

More and more states are going $15 minimum already, if not over $12.
You will not see a “new class of displaced Americans to come to Taiwan…”
They are in their basements playing minecraft or RPGs or trying to mine the latest hot crypto.

that I will glady do.

However in regards to the language that matters the most - money - it’s affairs are conducted mostly in English .

That’s really important if you’re doing business with global clients etc. But if you’re to teach english etc, then yeah the local population not being good at english would be good for you.

10 dollars an hour is marginal anywhere in America, and 15 dollar is not even enough in places that adopted it.

I remember people still getting around 8 dollars an hour in 2015 in the SF Bay Area. That is not enough by a long shot.

I feel the more they focus on these ‘amendments’ the more they buy time to not even touch the elephant in the room, Dual citizenship.

Thanks for the explanation! About how much time do you estimate each of these steps to take?

For such a bill being put to the legislature now you would expect the practical implementation to be something like Jan 1, 2022. However, it is worth noting that although chances are better for the Foreign Talent Act amendments than the past attempts at the New Economic Immigration bill, it still is not a sure thing it will pass.

4 Likes

Thank you as always @fifieldt ! What about the timing of it passing three readings and receiving presidential assent? Specifically, approximately when might we know whether or not the NHI waiting period will be waived, regardless of the actual date of implementation.

The legislative yuan sits until the end of May. If things are going smoothly we’ll know by then. If not, next legislative session runs from Sept to end of Dec.

2 Likes

Got it, thanks!! So hopefully we’ll know next month. Otherwise I’ll just have to plan on coming over to Taiwan as if there won’t be any changes prior to my arrival.

I would think this would be wise.

Guy

2 Likes

I agree. Progress so far has been at a glacial pace, and I wouldn’t bet on that changing anytime soon.

I didn’t think anyone would care about my specific concerns, but it seems you guys want to offer advice so I might as well be more clear :smiley: (I don’t mean this in a negative way at all and I welcome further insight)

As more and more time passes, I’m wanting to delay our move to Taiwan by as long as possible. This is due to a few different reasons but to put it simply, as the situation in the US improves, there are a number of things both professional and personal that I would like to complete here before we leave. (If everything was going to hell in the US then we’d probably just say screw it and get out.) So with that said, I’ve been targeting the end of November as the deadline for us to move to Taiwan because of the 6-month requirement to enroll in NHI combined with the fact that we plan to leave Taiwan every summer (June-Aug)

If however, hypothetically using fifieldt’s example, the NHI waiting period is eliminated beginning in Jan 2022, then I would know that I can just wait until Jan to come over. No need to worry about meeting the 6-months before we leave the following summer, no need to worry about getting private bridge insurance.

So anyway, that’s all I’m concerned about. Sure, I do care about the shortened APR qualification, but that won’t have any effect on what month we decide to move to Taiwan.

1 Like

Guessing that this won’t be passing in May…

1 Like