šŸ†” New format for ARC/APRC number is not accepted--testing and reporting thread

You have no choice if you need to get a new ARC for some other reason, I believe. If not, it was originally reported that the old numbers would need to be updated within 10 years (which would be about 9 years now, unless something changed).

5 Likes

In my case, I could not get the 5000 NT covid vouchers on the old number. Otherwise, I think when your passport expires you will have to renew your APRC card and get a new number.

2 Likes

I need to as I had a new phone and needed internet banking. Unfortunately I lost internet banking access.

I will try. The bank actually rang me Friday apologised and gave me back the access to my bank account and Visa card. I just need to figure out how to get a Social Security Number when Iā€™m not an American. :joy: so I can get the internet banking to work to pay my bills.

Otherwise itā€™s the wifeā€™s task and thatā€™s not fair.

1 Like

Are you a foreigner? If so, you are American.

We are all Americans.

According to our Taiwanese friends.

Everyone knows the great Taipei Edition of the Oxford dictionary under the word Foreigner says See: American

The bank apologising and making amends? You sure youā€™re in Taiwan?

4 Likes

Many of the banks require you to open a new internet account . Their systems suck.

1 Like

I can only assume my wife complained

1 Like

One my banks called me to confirm my address for my credit card. I said I was in there recently and Gave you my address. These guys are idiots.

4 Likes

Your passport will need to be renewed. Check the expiry date. This is how they get you.

4 Likes

Good point. And so considerate of immigration - they must have been worried some people might miss out on the new numbers. :blush:

2 Likes

I got an update from Ikea (currently you canā€™t apply for a Ikea Family Card online while foreign). They have a concrete plan to fix this in May 2022.

6 Likes

Makes it sound like a form of incapacitation.

2 Likes

Also their terminals near the entrance, where you can print some discount codes, did not accept ARC numbers. (might be the same customer system)
IKEA ghosted me on all communication channels (email, Twitter, etc.)

2 Likes

This got me thinkingā€¦
Do I really need to renew my passport, even if I donā€™t plan to travel anytime soon?
Iā€™m on APRC, so what could happen if I didnā€™t?

1 Like

Yes.

And if I donā€™t?

Got a report that Gamapay (https://www.gamapay.com.tw/ ) does not accept ARC IDs. Can anyone confirm/screenshot the error?

Well, they were clear to me they wouldnā€™t consider my ARC valid if I didnā€™t have a valid passport.

They even intentionally made my ARC expire on my passportā€™s expiry date.

But, this topic suggests otherwise.

So in reality, I have no idea. Iā€™m not gonna be first to try it.

3 Likes

Had once my passport expire a few moths after ARC. Did not have enough time to renew passport before ARC expiry. They made me an ARC with 3 months validity and I had to come back with the new passport.

2 Likes

Nationality has only one option. And then the registration obviously fails.

2 Likes