New in Taiwan

Hello fellow members!

I came to Taiwan like 2 weeks ago to study chinese. I jsut recently graduated from High School and camae here to study before starting college.

Any recommendations for a foreigner? Like Im not exactly foreigner, Im chinese but I was born in South America but I do understand a little mandarin and can be able to speak a little, but still, my main language is spanish.

Like where to go? Where to meet people? Like what to do?

This days Ive been just walking around seeing, and yea, like nothing. Before coming I read Taiwan was al interesting and stuff.

Recommendations?! :wink:

Get Lonely Planet, and systematically go through all the museums, starting with MOCA.

[quote=“kage”][quote=“is03”]These days I’ve been just walking around seeing, and yea, like nothing. Before coming I read Taiwan was al interesting and stuff.[/quote]Get Lonely Planet, and systematically go through all the museums, starting with MOCA.[/quote]Like, yes, I agree. Get a book like Lonely planet, and like, read it, like from cover to cover. Then you can like get some ideas that you might end up liking, like. Like that! :roflmao:

Like, welcome to Taiwan, cub! :bow:

What school are you going to? What area do you live in? What kinds of things are you interested in? Perhaps that can narrow down possibilities.

There’s a [url=Forumosa Happy Hour at Carnegie's, January 14! happy hour[/url] in Taipei this Thursday evening.

[quote=“is03”]
This days Ive been just walking around seeing, and yea, like nothing. Before coming I read Taiwan was al interesting and stuff.

Recommendations?! :wink:[/quote]
You really like NOTHING? NOTHING at ALL? What the fuck is the matter with you? :loco:

Great job welcoming the newb guys, damn old farts. :grandpa: :grandpa: :grandpa:

I’d suggest a happy hour like Cranky recommended. They are great for socializing. If you can make friends with a Taiwanese student at your school then you can have her post an ad for language exchange on the school BBS. You can use tealit too.

Do you have a map of Taipei or access to a computer with internet for google maps? Get a lonely planet and go from there.

I’d suggest you decide what you like to do then search for it on Forumosa.

Welcome to the pits,
Okami

He says he’s been here for several weeks and likes “nothing.” Sorry, but I really don’t know to help someone with such a completely negative outlook! :unamused: If a newb has been here for such a short time and despite the wonder of being in a new environment still cannot find ANYTHING he likes, then shit, dude, perhaps he should of stayed in Podunk! Trust me, original poster, if you can’t find anything you like now, it’s only going to get worse as you become used to it.

Taiwan is totally boring. You have to make your own entertainment. The world is not a movie.

Go and see Avatar.

thanks everyone for ur warm welcoming and cold welcomings too, yea the weathers pretty cold.

its not like i dont like anything, of course i like a lot of stuff here, but been 2 weeks and not be able to communicate well and not know the place very well, im not sure so…
i like doing exercise here, go around walking (my favorite, yeahhh), yea like nothing else yet.

im actually studying mandarin in tamkang. but there are no locl people. ive found some ppl in tealit that wanted LE, ill try to meet with them, yeah.

but idk, happy hour sounds fun lol im just 18 anyways do i need my passsport then?

oh and i wanted to go see avatar but going to the movies alone is kinda bleeeee----

but, im liking taiwan, pretty active, but were i live its not. lol (yonghe)

yea, not like i dont like anything, but i stll havent go to any of the touristic places yet, since school started last week. ill see, but it has been pretty fun this 2 weeks, yeah. just wanted to have a better time while in my half year stayy!!

Have you seen pandas ever? If not, go to the zoo and check out those black-and-white bamboo-eating amazing monstrosities.

I’m guessing you’re on a visitor visa without an ARC? I guess you would need your passport to go to clubs, but I honestly don’t think they card anyone here in Taipei.

I dunno why you don’t like Jonghe. I am experiencing a lot if bliss and tranquility here, I am finding my inner self and am coming at peace with it; serenity, totally.
[Lunch. Nap. At the desk]

[quote=“catfish13”]Have you seen pandas ever? If not, go to the zoo and check out those black-and-white bamboo-eating amazing monstrosities.

I’m guessing you’re on a visitor visa without an ARC? I guess you would need your passport, but I honestly don’t think they card anyone here in Taipei.[/quote]

you need a passport to visit with the pandas?

fuck that…visit the Formosan Black Bear and keep it local…them pandas are just Beijing lackeys anyway.

Its like this bro, drop the “like” from your vocab. Valley speak is like so , uhm not done here see? You know?

Check out the discos and grab yourself a TW girlfriend. Your life will like, change , you know what I mean?

And I mean like its hella gonna change K bro?

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“catfish13”]Have you seen pandas ever? If not, go to the zoo and check out those black-and-white bamboo-eating amazing monstrosities.

I’m guessing you’re on a visitor visa without an ARC? I guess you would need your passport, but I honestly don’t think they card anyone here in Taipei.[/quote]

fuck that…visit the Formosan Black Bear and keep it local…them pandas are just Beijing lackeys anyway.[/quote]
They should make a hybrid between the two as a symbol of unification with the mainland’ IF they can do it so can we :roflmao:

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“catfish13”]Have you seen pandas ever? If not, go to the zoo and check out those black-and-white bamboo-eating amazing monstrosities.

fuck that…visit the Formosan Black Bear and keep it local…them pandas are just Beijing lackeys anyway.[/quote]

Oops, that did come out funny didn’t it? I mean bars and the clubs.

Oh, I see. THAT kind of “like!” I didn’t know real people actually talked like that!
Anyway, people DO get carded here. Last time I was at Roxy Roots they were carding every single person trying to enter that club next door.
And the Happy Hour is at Carnegie’s, which is over-25 only, apparently.
How about asking those hiking club people if you can join them for a hike sometime?

Is, Bienvenido a La Isla.

Yep, Taipei is a nice city to take a walk, weather permitting.

Enjoy the unique things you find in Taiwan. Drinking and partying will become boring after a while, and it is something we can do much better back home.

It takes a bit of time to get your bearings, as you say, due to language dificulties, but it will come. Here you can meet a lot of interesting people. Como los del foro, pero es que se hacen los bravos. :wink:

A mi tampoco me gusta Yonghe. But it is close to the uni and cheap, right?

[quote=“fenlander”][quote=“the bear”][quote=“catfish13”]Have you seen pandas ever? If not, go to the zoo and check out those black-and-white bamboo-eating amazing monstrosities.

They should make a hybrid between the two as a symbol of unification with the mainland’ IF they can do it so can we :roflmao:[/quote]

The Black bear would be down, but the Panda would probably get confused and try to fuck it in the ear.