New in Taiwan

Get a bike (they’re extremely cheap in Taiwan) and ride out to the riverside bike paths.

blog.taiwan-guide.org/wp-content … ke-map.jpg

It took me several years to discover them. Before that I thought Taipei was all ugly, crowded, gray, polluted city. As soon as I went through the gate to the bike paths I was amazed to discover endless green fields, with lots of people playing baseball, cricket, rugby, soccer, rollerhockey, kiteflying, cycling, jogging, fishing, playing with their dogs, etc. It’s a great break from the gray other side.

[quote=“djlowballer”][quote=“fenlander”][quote=“the bear”]

you need a passport to visit with the pandas?

fuck that…visit the Formosan Black Bear and keep it local…them pandas are just Beijing lackeys anyway.[/quote]
They should make a hybrid between the two as a symbol of unification with the mainland’ IF they can do it so can we :roflmao:[/quote]

The Black bear would be down, but the Panda would probably get confused and try to fuck it in the ear.[/quote]

dunno them black ones are tougher than they look. It might be that Panda on all fours!

You guys suck. Totally wild guess but something tells me the OP is NOT particularly interested in museums or bike trails.

Aw! Man, Llary, I wiz only doin’ me best! What the hell do EYE know about what an 18-year-old child wants? I DO know that my 17-year-old nephew LIVES for the mountains and trails, though.

hahaa u r kinda right and kinda wrong. ill love to visit museums but hell, i have seen some from the outside but thought it was going to be all chinese. so i planned to go to museums when my mandarin skills are better.

but i enjoy bike riding, here in the city is fun and i imagine that the bike paths is going to be better.

but i think im just not used to this place. like damn im just 18, just finished high school and im here alone studying, AGAIN!! ARGHHHHH

just today i went from guting all to zhongxiao ( i think) yea, where Sogo is and i went walking, really fun. but like im not sure if i should go by myself to like, hotsprings and stuff.

yea thnks guys, keep posting!!

I think llary’s thinking of Hsimending. Lots of sexy young girls (and boys, I suppose) there, right?

Actually, museums here are thee only places you will find explanations en cristiano.

Though you are right, most of the stuff is in Mandarin, you can join guided tours or ask someone who would like to practice their English to accompany you. Museum guides are sure to jump on this opportunity. Learning language exchange… for starters…the rest is up to you. :wink:

oh yeah and that too! Like why not?!
But I don’t know how people do things here… so ahhhh. I feel so out of place even though I’m chinese. That makes it worse!

[quote=“Icon”]Actually, museums here are thee only places you will find explanations en cristiano.

Though you are right, most of the stuff is in Mandarin, you can join guided tours or ask someone who would like to practice their English to accompany you. Museum guides are sure to jump on this opportunity. Learning language exchange… for starters…the rest is up to you. :wink:[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve found some people online but we’ve yet to meet, so idk…

If you’re in Yonghe you can check out Frankies Pies, its a kind of hybrid between restaurant and bar. The staff are friendly (sit at the bar), and the customers normally pretty cool, especially in the evenings. You can find the directions on Facebook, just look up Frankies Pies. Otherwise its on Wenhua Road, near Dingxi MRT. If you’re coming from the main road which leads to the Bridge with the golden pigeon, you turn left on to Wenhua Road, it’s on the left side, a minute or so walk down Wenhua (past the seven eleven and the food stands).

Hope you have fun.

Kitkat

I showed up in Taiwan the first time I was your age. Mate, the world was my oyster. Beaches, train trips, camping, bars, museums, classes, eating, exploring the city…too much stuff to do, too many people to meet.

Don’t you have any classmates? Roomates? Distant relatives near your age?

My first day in Taiwan I spoke zero Mandarin and didn’t know where I was going to stay for the night. I was fresh off the boat from a homestay in Nepal with 1yrs worth of luggage.

Interesting. And where were you, the second time you were his age?

Interesting. And where were you, the second time you were his age?[/quote]
Posting here. Last week, wasn’t it?

Definitely take your ID if going anywhere that is like a club, bar, etc. As far as I am aware of the legal age for alcohol etc. is 18, so you should be good.

By the way, being only 18 might entitle you to revive one of these this threads (no definitive answers there yet) without being accused of being a wannabe-child-molester :wink:

[quote=“is03”]hahaa u r kinda right and kinda wrong. ill love to visit museums but hell, I have seen some from the outside but thought it was going to be all Chinese. so i planned to go to museums when my Mandarin skills are better.
[/quote]

At least the Palace Museum has quite nice English language guided tours. I am not so much for Museums except for maybe tech and history - but at least the guide the group that I joined had was telling really cool stuff about even the most boring looking artifacts there. Definitely worth a visit, regardless of age.

Yeah, not knowing anyone here really sucks. You really need to get to know some people, preferrably not such old farts as many on this forum here, though :stuck_out_tongue:

My best hint would be join some online friend finding place like friends.forumosa.com - yes, people use such stuff for hooking up as well, but apart from that you can find people with similar interests there easily. It costs some money, though. Don’t be shy to contact guys there, even as a guy - its not for hookup :wink:

Others use Facebook, Myspace, MSN messenger etc. to just get to know some people, and eventually end up finding some cool people to hang out with.

Language exchange you already mentioned, and since you are of Chinese descent I guess the chance that your LE partners (if female) will honestly want language exchange, not using this as an excuse to try to hook up, is higher :stuck_out_tongue: Dunno if you mind that, though. Anyway, just don’t teach them your style of written English please :no-no: :smiley:

[quote=“is03”]
just today I went from guting all to zhongxiao ( I think) yea, where Sogo is and I went walking, really fun. but like im not sure if i should go by myself to like, hotsprings and stuff.[/quote]

Well, for hotsprings you might want to find a local girlfriend first :sunglasses:

Stand on a street corner, holding a sign that says “free hugs!”. You’ll meet lots of people that way.

Interesting. And where were you, the second time you were his age?[/quote]

Ha. Should have read “When I showed up in Taiwan the first time, I was your age.”

Didn’t discover the flob until well into my 3rd tour of duty. And now look at all the time I’ve wasted here. And I’ve barely met any of you in meat-life.

hahaa u r kinda right and kinda wrong. ill love to visit museums but hell, I have seen some from the outside but thought it was going to be all Chinese. so i planned to go to museums when my Mandarin skills are better.

but I enjoy bike riding, here in the city is fun and i imagine that the bike paths is going to be better.

but I think im just not used to this place. like damn im just 18, just finished high school and im here alone studying, AGAIN!! ARGHHHHH

just today I went from guting all to zhongxiao ( I think) yea, where Sogo is and I went walking, really fun. but like im not sure if i should go by myself to like, hotsprings and stuff.

yea thnks guys, keep posting!![/quote]

18 years old and in Taiwan. wow you are lucky. Be adventurous and enjoy your stay. Yah go to the hot springs and enjoy it. Check out Yang Ming Shan but maybe when it is a bit warmer lol :thumbsup:

Actually, I don’t feel bored or anything. It’s just overwhelming. Just got independent I guess, and I have so many things to choose from to do, but, like… I’m not sure.

Sadly, I don’t have ANY relatives here.

I’m trying to meet people but it’s weird you know. But I want to meet local people, but I’m a chinese who doesn’t speak mandarin, crap! They think may think I’m retarded or something! kakakakak

Any suggestions?

Forumosa friends sounds cool, but I need to pay… wtf?!

[quote=“is03”]Actually, I don’t feel bored or anything. It’s just overwhelming. Just got independent I guess, and I have so many things to choose from to do, but, like… I’m not sure.

I’m trying to meet people but it’s weird you know. But I want to meet local people, but I’m a Chinese who doesn’t speak Mandarin, crap! They think may think I’m retarded or something! kakakakak

Any suggestions?

Forumosa friends sounds cool, but I need to pay… wtf?![/quote]

Perhaps stay in a hostel like Formosa or Happy family. You won’t meet locals but u will meet many other young foreigners. Anyway u are not going to be here for long (famous last words) so just relax and explore. Like the other poster said start with lonely planet. How about join some activity like kung fu class or a cycling/hiking group.

[quote=“is03”]Actually, I don’t feel bored or anything. It’s just overwhelming. Just got independent I guess, and I have so many things to choose from to do, but, like… I’m not sure.

I’m trying to meet people but it’s weird you know. But I want to meet local people, but I’m a Chinese who doesn’t speak Mandarin, crap! They think may think I’m retarded or something! kakakakak

Any suggestions?

Forumosa friends sounds cool, but I need to pay… wtf?![/quote]
You are welcome to hang with me. Do you like Indian food, rugby and hardcore drinking?

First, let me say I am another oldie who doesn’t get out much anymore. I was just wondering what things you read about that sounded interesting to you. That’d help us all suggest things you might enjoy.

For example, if you enjoy skateboarding, there is a group of young people who meet up regularly in Shimending, they seem pretty active. If you enjoy swimming, you could join some Red Cross swim training (you don’t have to/probably can’t volunteer but it’s a great way to meet a lot of young people at once, see lots of Taiwan, and improve your Chinese). If you just want a language exchange, you could take a look at the noticeboards at Shida or NTU. If you like gaming (is that what you call role-playing board games these days), I know of a gaming group in Yung-ho, run by young Japanese and Taiwanese. If you enjoy your nightlife then you might have to take the plunge and go out alone for a night and just approach people (not easy, but I had to at 17 when I went to university away from my home town, met a group who remained my best friends right through school that first evening - I will NEVER forget walking into the school’s toga party alone though!).

Anyway, I don’t think it really matters WHAT you do, just join something with a group of people as soon as you can, so you can start meeting more people and learning more about what’s out there. And, don’t worry about the language thing TOO much, I’ve been here 15 years and still get that “WHAT are you talking about” look everyday, (I’m not Chinese, though, so might be different for you) but it’s a lot easier to deal with if you join a group or class where you are learning something non-language related together. Don’t let it stop you from joining the local activities.