New legislation- TARC still needed for NWOHR?

No. But many meetings go on previous to proper courts which are basically popularity contests essentially. Even judges in such courts are quite disgustingly retarded. so who knows. but technically, no.

you can double check this by trying to apply for government welfare schemes (disater relief, grants, projects, stimulus packages etc) and showing them your rental contracts. it is a no go for many, outside of simple public ones. they require actual contracts, not the red covered book store contracts for anything real. Short answer: because they wont hold up in court if there is a real problem. We have been told this directly by the government in these words from various agencies.

Tricky part is, most low level landlords arent willing to agree with proper contracts. Book store it is, then settle outside of court when/if people get silly.

1 Like

I imagine they got ways of settling if a tenant is absolutely refusing to pay rent or move out… probably involve a certain Bamboo organization.

1 Like

not what I was talking about. in Taiwan I feel are is more protection towards the landlord than the tenant. Have the renter tell the authorities the house is unsafe, and see what happens. the gov will probably only go so far as tax, fire safety, late night noise, water. otherwise it seems like it’s the usual status quo of " its a not a problem til it’s a problem" SOP. meaning, deal with it later if everybody doesnt lose interest. and thus, courts are filled with truly retarded cases by retarded people arguing about retarded points that should have been solved by non retarded governance and perhaps even retarded enforcement being able to handle it.

in reality, play the social game here. but do it whilst actually knowing the law and recording any problems that come up properly. Settling out of court is actually easier. taiwanese can be as easy as buying them a tea and becoming friends after a conflict. right down the line to exploding and spending years of time fucking you out of vengeance.

tea and.smiles are cheaper :slight_smile:

Yea, everything’s informal in Taiwan, it’s not bad actually and is one of the things I like about Taiwan.

In Germany (and also the states) everything’s formal. In the case of Germany the protection for tenants is very strong, and so landlords won’t rent to you even if you have a suitcase full of 500 euro notes for them, unless you can prove to them you’re a good tenant, and there are 5 other tenants lined up to rent the property and it’s literally like going to a job interview, suits and ties and the whole nine yards. The US isn’t THAT bad but there’s a lot of condition as to where nobody will rent to you and the law won’t protect you if you end up homeless.

Whereas Taiwan, got evicted by 10 other landlords? Nobody knows, until there’s a problem. Besides it’s not a legal eviction, you couldn’t afford rent and so you moved out on your own, it doesn’t come up on any background checks. But if you wanted to be dicks it will be in the form of getting beaten up/scared by some guys in a back alley or having red paint dumped on your door.

If you are evicted in the US, you are guaranteed to be homeless because it will appear on background checks that all landlords do, and they will not rent to you even if you presented a suitcase of money to them.

indeed. it is a nice thing in Taiwan, but only I comparison to some places. I view taiwans vague laws and half assed enforcement preferable to nanny states like canada. but at the same time, it is flawed beyond reasonable.levels and a person would be well advised to take notice of these short comings and.prepare ahead of time accordingly. rather than the all too common mindset of just do it now, and deal with the problems later. but that is up to persona preference I suppose.

either way, taiwans laws are creeping up and in many industries already nanny state, just not many people complain about them. likely because laziness still trumps all, even in terms of government enforcement. taiwan is clamping down though. be aware and prepare accordingly :slight_smile:

if you establish an independent hhr and don’t pay rent, not much. if you pay, it may affect their tax rate. if you are added in their hhr, the head of the hhr must do something on your hhr.

reading regulations might help to understand the system.

Household Registration Act

Enforcement Rules of the Household Registration Act

factory, shop, school etc. might be when they do communal living.

technically, unnotarized contract and varification should be ok. it may be asking around on your residence to your landlord, neighbers, Lǐ cháng etc. in that case, you need actually living there.

1 Like

OK, this is a good point, since landlords generally seem not to want to provide the required documents for registering HHR. Assuming that a person has the time to live in Taiwan for some months, then one path to HHR would be:

1. Get NWOHR passport.
  2. When ready to move to Taiwan, enter on NWOHR passport, which I think will require a 90-day entry/exit permit.
  3. Within the limited 90 days, quickly find some rental room on 591 or a similar service, and sign a standard, non-notarized, probably tax-evading “contract”. Question: Is it hard to find landlords who are willing to rent a room to a fresh-off-the-boat NWOHR who has no address yet in Taiwan?
  4. Before signing the contract, inform the landlord of intent to register HHR at that address, and ask the landlord for help creating a notarized contract – landlord will probably refuse due to tax obligations.
  5. Actually move in to the rental room and start living there.
  6. Apply for HHR at this address. Since the landlord refused to provide the required documents, you can then say to the HHR office that you “cannot provide” the required notarized contract, and therefore request “verification” instead. HHR office will probably send someone around (when? after one week? after one month?) to check to see if you are living there, and since you are, the check will pass.
  7. Receive HHR and full rights to live/work in Taiwan.

This seems like it would work and importantly that it would both (1) avoid the need for friend/family to help you with HHR and (2) avoid the need for the landlord to cooperate with creating a notarized contract. The only risk is if the landlord gets upset when the HHR office comes around to verify who is living at that address, and tries to evict you (or raise your rent) to avoid the subsequent tax obligations.

1 Like

to be fair, if they raise the rent (accordingly) that’s fair. no different than sales tax being added. the suppliers costs normally get passed along to the consumer. rentals are no different.

Do you know how much percentage would be a corresponding rent increase (commensurate to the tax increase) in this case?

How about NHI and national pension?

About NHI: I think I read that whenever “suspending then resuming” HHR, you have to pay NHI for at least 3 months.

Does this mean that for NWOHRs establishing a new HHR, they also must pay NHI for at least 3 months?

That above thread also says the following. I assume this will also apply to NWOHRs establishing their first HHR?

Is the above correct?

About national pension: Will NWOHRs establishing HHR for the first time be required to pay into this scheme?

on nhi, this thread may be relevant

unless you are employed and join through the employment, you need a 6 month of residency, tarc or hhr with an address in taiwan, before you first get your nhi.

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/does-nhi-expire-for-abt-dual-citizens-after-they-left-taiwan-for-a-while/233893/4?u=tando

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/does-nhi-expire-for-abt-dual-citizens-after-they-left-taiwan-for-a-while/233893/17?u=tando

https://www.bli.gov.tw/en/0000065.html

1 Like

No, would need to ask.

I see 2 common situations though.

1. the person never reported income, and if they report it that’s an income tax thing.

2. if company registers its it’s more again.

Plus time to do it, then theoretically undo it when you leave. I suspect people just dont want to open up pandora box to the tax man, as once you start, it’s hard to excuse yourself away from it later. Not right, not legal, but very logical.

other things like insurance (hahaha) might also come into play.

it may be more of a property tax rate thing. if the property is not for yourself or immediate family, some higher tax rate may be applied.

1 Like

That could be as well, good point. the only land i have owned here is agricultural land, so I am a bit ignorant on rates and such with that stuff. on that note, there is a pretty serious issue in.various parts of never paying property tax. it becomes a real hassle when buying/selling because transferring the land the debt needs settling. Many just wont open up that can of worms and pay off.

It is. I was in the situation as to points 2 and 3 last month so I asked once again and got another confirmation.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve seen this addressed in this thread yet – how do you actually prove that you are eligible to apply for HHR under the new law?

Previously, I was reading about the TARC-based residency, using AF384 for a deceased parent who previously had HHR when the overseas NWOHR child was born. I can’t find the details now, but there was some list of documents needed for an AF384-based TARC.

All of that changes now with the new law. The TARC is not needed and the 1-year residence is not needed. But again: what documents do you need to prove that you actually qualify under the new law to apply for HHR? Is this documented anywhere yet?

You apply with the same set of documents as if you were under 20.

2 Likes

Yes. What @hikkymemo said.

Just look up the current requirements for someone under 20 born overseas to Taiwanese parent now deceased. After the new law comes into effect, those same requirements will apply to those over 20.

1 Like

Sorry if this has been already answered. For those who have NWOHR and planning to go back to Taiwan for HHR, is there a 2 months waiting period before the law fully kicks in or can we go back to Taiwan now and get it?

It hasn’t kicked in yet. The effective date is not announced yet.

1 Like