New London Attack

See the fight…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/NNdZwVPPgP/300-seconds-on-london-bridge

Lack of escape routes

1 Like

That’s smart I’d never thought of that but I’d noticed a pattern.

They have a reputation for falling down.

Trust a dumb jihadi to take a nursery rhyme seriously.

3 Likes

Cool heads at Grauniad Towers have come up with the answer. Deradicalisation doesn’t work, but we should do it anyway to show how civilised we are. Those misunderstood jihadi chaps wouldn’t possibly pretend to be deradicalised in order to get released and stab people. No, once we’ve given them enough hugs they’ll be singing Kumbaya.

4 Likes

Another bit they culturally appropriated from Christianity and distorted for their own purposes.

Cool heads. Freeze-dried brains.

1 Like
1 Like

It’s that time of year (Christmas holiday) when an ambitious Islamic terrorist can earn at least 72 virgins in the afterlife and in general make much hay. Attacks have ticked up in UK (London Bridge) and the US (NAS Pensacola).

Be careful in Paris, Andrew.

Don’t be worrying about this stuff, chance of getting caught up in it is very low.

1 Like

Minimise any risk by not inviting deradicalised terrorists to conferences, meetings, dinner parties etc.

3 Likes

At this moment yes. 4-5 years ago at the height of ISIS I would have said roll the dice and take your chances in EU

But then again Nassim Taleb’a fat tails tells us that we’re never really safe from risk.

Yeah, it’s not possible to avoid all risk in life. Risk is always there.

December is a time for symbolism, though. The London Bridge guy chose a symbolic landmark. Pensacola symbolizes a domestic attack on US armed forces. At one time southern France was the epicenter of Christianity. In the collective mind of the world, Paris is the symbol of France - and of course Paris has recently suffered at the hands of Islamic terrorists multiple times late in the year.

It’s a good time to remain aware. I’m sure the authorities in France are vigilant, too, but police have a purely reactionary function. Your own awareness is your first line of sensible defense.

1 Like

The terrorist has been killed by London police.

I don’t think this guy managed to kill anybody, although one stabbing victim is still in life-threatening condition in a hospital.

1 Like

Does the Parole Board ever justify its risk assessments after situations like this? I appreciate the guy would have done something like this no matter what, but he was also released half way through his sentence.

1 Like

Pretty much immediately after convincing the parole board he isn’t a threat he’s stabbed people up. It’s beyond ridiculous.

What questions are they asking?

“Are you still a terrorist intent on killing women and children?”
“No.”
“Oh, that’s jolly good. Off you go then.”

2 Likes

I bet some of them felt so good about themselves for being progressive and open minded.

The $64 question for sure.

I think the story is developing, but it sounds like the guy was stopped very quickly after his attacks. The policemen are all in plain clothes, and it almost seems as if they were following him and expecting an attack.

If that’s actually what happened then I feel sorry for the two people who were stabbed, who for lack of a better term seemed to be almost random bait or something.

Hopefully the UK can use what seems like a growing ability to predict an attack and use it to lengthen the prison sentence.

Again, the full story seems to be coming in still.

I’ll be generous and put a lot of it down to prison overcrowding and overstretched staff, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Surely any normal person would err massively on the side of caution when dealing with someone convicted of terrorism offences. I would require enormous convincing to release them early, but the Parole Board seems to think otherwise.