New name for TAIPEI 101?

[quote=“winter”]NAME: The Formosa Tower[/quote]It’s big,green and ugly, and yes , it’s of no use to anyone and bits are falling off, sounds perfect :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, like or not, it is called Taibei 101 for now. But in all honesty, do you think this name will last, say, ten years from now? It just sounds like a temporary name. Then again, it may be a temporary tower.

I sure hope it is not a temporary tower since a lot of Taiwanese are pretty damn proud of it. It is their hope to shine in the world!! Well, so far it have in Asia, right?

Okay fine if we’re going to call it anything, I’de call it UGLY!

Taiwans problem for tower naming is that it is a modern , safe ,democracy.

ie No out of date Monarchy to suck up to.
Perhaps borrow one : The QEII Tower.

No despotic rulers.
Borrow one ? The Sadam Hussein Tower.

No assasinated presidents
Borrow one ? The JFK Tower.

The tower is supposed to be designed to look like Bamboo so perhaps
“The Big Bamboo”

Maybe something like “Democracy Tower” would be good. Then if the Chinese attack TW it will make for a good symbolic last stand.

After another 50 years of global warming when the oceans have risen several hundred feet it may be the only building visible in Taipei. The rest of the city will be a haven for marine life & underwater tourism. In light of this future use as THE asian hub for underwater tourism (slogan : “Taiwan Touch your Wetsuit” ) I propose calling it “Scuba Tower”.

the big empty

the white elephant

where i grew up we had a "world’s tallest"worthless monument high in the sky. the older people were “proud” of it. the younger generations are shamed by it. civic resources were pooled and spent and now it is already crap just 40 years on. we regret that it was built. it dominates the skyline and outsiders always refer to it when i mention i am from st.louis. pay the cash, go up to observation deck. see the empty fields and come down…whoo-hoo.

what one genertion basks in the next derides.

Actually, think about what 101 means in the US. Plumbing 101…computer 101 etc.

Would you trust a building called 101?

101%

Taipei 101 sounds like a crash course with topics in learning the fine art of betel nut chewing, turning your scooter into a true family vehicle (for your wife, two kids, and infant to ride on…which I saw sometime last year near FuHsing Rd. and Civic Blvd. intersection one night), and swearing in Taiwanese.
Of course, if there’s a building in the works somewhere to outdo Taipei 101, it’s the perfect name for setting up a sequel…Taipei 102: Ma’s Revenge.

What’s wrong with the Arch? I used to live in St. Louis and I thought it was nice that we had a skyline. And the basement was cool–both physically, and in a retro-60s sort of way.

And it makes a great logo–anyone in design would tell you the benefits of a structure that can be drawn in 10 seconds or less. Probably the best (only?) PR that St. Louis has.

scoots:

ever take cousins or college mates from chicago or houston or…up? the curved elevator is kinda cool but then you get to the top. remember the view? oh, they all hazed me good: “oh st.louis isn’t a city…it is a village!” each and everytime. nothing like carving the heart out of the city and converting it into a national park. what is there to do in downtown after dark? go home. the city population is down to 300,000 (one person per stopsign) but we still got the arch!

what you said about it being stl’s only PR is sadly true. it overshadows all our other cultural hihglights: the bowling hall of fame, the national dog museum, the budweiser factory tour and the world’s only floating mcdonalds!

scoots:

ever take cousins or college mates from chicago or houston or…up? the curved elevator is kinda cool but then you get to the top. remember the view? oh, they all hazed me good: “oh st.louis isn’t a city…it is a village!” each and everytime. nothing like carving the heart out of the city and converting it into a national park. what is there to do in downtown after dark? go home. the city population is down to 300,000 (one person per stopsign) but we still got the arch!

what you said about it being stl’s only PR is sadly true. it overshadows all our other cultural hihglights: the bowling hall of fame, the national dog museum, the budweiser factory tour and the world’s only floating mcdonalds!

Wow, I kinda like that one: DEMOCRACY TOWER. That would really be a nice fit. Let’s lobby the fighting parilamentarians for that one.
I nominate that one: DEMOCRACY TOWER.

See what forumosa.comheads can come up with! NICE!

[color=red]Set up a poll…I love voting…

So far my fav is Da Big Bam Boo…[/color]

[color=purple]That’s what I’m gonna call it from now on.

Now we need it used as a backdrop in some movies. James Bond landing [/color][color=blue]on it using a smog-camo’d chute. Remake of King Kong with the monster representing Taiwan and the exploiting impressarios as the PRC. Nice little piece of agit-prop. [/color] [color=red]Call it Hong Kong. Can’t wait to see a meteor rip thru it. Maybe OJ is available for The Towering Inferno 2, Great Ball of Fire. [/color] [color=purple]The scene where the anti-quake ball drops 80 floors [/color][color=blue]with a computer generated Slim Pickens bronco-bustin’ it all the way down…[/color]

Yeeeeeeeeehhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Okay, okay…I may be a little buzzcakes. :moo:

Don’t know if anyone’s heard this one yet, but the new name should be Taipei 102 … the extra floor being the ding lou on the top of the building for the owner’s brother in law, complete with pigeon coop, a few potted plants, and a rats nest of illegally strung coaxial cable and rusting TV antennae.

[quote=“skeptic yank”]scoots:

ever take cousins or college mates from Chicago or Houston or…up? the curved elevator is kinda cool but then you get to the top. remember the view? oh, they all hazed me good: “oh st.louis isn’t a city…it is a village!” each and everytime. nothing like carving the heart out of the city and converting it into a national park. what is there to do in downtown after dark? go home. the city population is down to 300,000 (one person per stopsign) but we still got the arch!

what you said about it being stl’s only PR is sadly true. it overshadows all our other cultural hihglights: the bowling hall of fame, the national dog museum, the budweiser factory tour and the world’s only floating mcdonalds![/quote]

:laughing: Not a whole lot to disagree with! Of course I haven’t been up in the dang thing since the very first time because I’m afraid of heights. I just send my friends up (by the time they return they’ve forgotten all the jabs about st. louis…). Of course you can’t forget that the arch is also built on a faultline, so perhaps st. louis and Taipei have a lot in common after all. Record Book-sized inferiority complexes which make you want to build huge structures on faultlines. :laughing:

since we can’t really came up with a name that everybody agrees on, let’s just called it THE BUILDING or THE THINGY (as fluffy would put it) see, how original is that!!

“The Thingy” :unamused: That’s a silly name, it could be almost anything.

Obviously it has to be “The Big Tall Thingy”

Call it the “Big-Ass Bamboo”

I sure hope it is not a temporary tower since a lot of Taiwanese are pretty damn proud of it. It is their hope to shine in the world!! Well, so far it have in Asia, right?[/quote]
MiakaW, reading your post while eyeballing your avatar makes me think you are 'bout the cutest thing.

:flowers: