New Survey: Countries Taiwanese like and hate the most (Drumroll...)

Yessa, Massa

The Congo is not too keen on the legacy of the French in their country either.

It’s not even that bad.

That’s terrible, what are you talking about? The favorable countries are the ones populated by British colonists themselves.

1 Like

FWIW, @Gain is missing a salient point in this:

I don’t think there’s any bad blood between Britain and Australia, for example. Or Britain and Canada. Or Britain and NZ.

And that’s that the overwhelming majority (if not all) of the present-day populations of the place quoted are made up of imported colonials, rather than indigenous peoples who were there beforehand.
Of course, transplanted white people are going to be OK with the colonial power who basically put them there.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t see Scotland or Ireland on there either

1 Like

China, not many English there? Interesting the numbers are like the US numbers.

The British Empire was pretty much run by Scotsmen.

That’s the anomaly, not the other way around as Gain is saying.

I personally find the China numbers to be preposterous after the Opium wars.

After England had colonized them…

Only 20% view them unfavorably. How’s that terrible? And you seem to be missing Nigeria and Kenya. They aren’t populated by British colonists.

Their ancestries are not necessarily British.

Besides, you are conveniently leaving out Hong Kong and Singapore. These are just the British ex-colonies. You can find the same views in a bunch of Spanish and Portuguese ex-properties. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

With the old folk, Rusia is popular because of Jiang Jinguo’s wife. Then, many people admire strong man Putin. Yes, I know. :wall:

1 Like

It’s called political indoctrination. When the state media keep telling you that Japan is evil, you forget that Britain was awful too.

So hate is in limited supply.

Eh, we can go back and forth with examples and counter examples. A lot of former colonies in Africa are very against their colonizers. Libya doesn’t care for Italy… Rwanda does not have good feelings about Belgium. Ukraine hates Russia. And don’t ask what Israel’s neighbors think about their brief occupations of land in Lebanon, Egypt, Syria, etc.

1 Like

Ethiopians still love lasagna, though. In my area, the Italian restaurants are largely staffed by Ethiopians.

1 Like

That only proves my point that friendly relations with colonists are not anamoly.

They weren’t colonised by Italy. They were briefly occupied during WWII.

Who doesn’t?
You could write a tome about how different colonizers have impacted indigenous food of the countries they were occupying. Very fascinating stuff.

Neither is unfriendly relations. I’d say it’s split 50-50, and even among that there’s shades of grey.

So people should stop saying that Taiwanese ppl are odd in this regard.