New Thai Government Might Recriminalise Cannabis

Where I lived in China they also did this

I tried the betel nut once or twice back then, didn’t like it

Guess I’ll just stick to the usual legal drugs!

1 Like

Supposedly it gives helps as an antidote to alcohol. I was so drink by that point I wouldn’t know , just remember it was kind of gross.

1 Like

Like gnarly and spaced out dudes!!! :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: Maybe he just didn’t want to go back to Trudeau! :cowboy_hat_face: :laughing: Must have been the Shrooms!

Canada is providing consular assistance to a Canadian citizen who was taken into custody last week after Thai authorities say the person opened an emergency door on a Thai Airways plane.

“Global Affairs Canada is aware of the arrest of a Canadian citizen in Thailand. Consular officials are providing consular service,” said a spokesperson for Global Affairs in a statement to Global News on Sunday when asked about the specific case.

“Due to privacy considerations, no further information can be disclosed.”

The local TV station ThaiPBS identified the passenger as a Canadian man.

His lawyer told the broadcaster he admitted to opening the door last Thursday because he thought “people were coming after him.”

“From his behaviour, it’s likely he was hallucinating,” Jirawat Yarnkiatpakdee said in an interview with ThaiPBS.

Canada provides support to citizen arrested for opening Thai plane door - National | Globalnews.ca

Why is Thailand recriminalizing weed? Do they not realize how much tourism they will lose, or is it causing problems?

TL, you can read the above posts to learn more. :arrow_up:

You made my day :rofl:.

2 Likes

Thailand will ban recreational use of marijuana by the end of this year but continue to allow its use for medical purposes

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-ban-recreational-cannabis-use-by-year-end-says-health-minister-2024-02-29/

I don’t see how they’re going to close the lid on this (20,000 registered shops, the article states). It’s going to be real messy. I don’t know what to make of the statement at the end of the article:

Such shops could operate until their licences expire and convert to legal cannabis clinics if they follow the new rules, Cholnan said, adding that the new regulation would have no impact on tourism.

2 Likes

It’s good news for the illegal dealers who don’t pay taxes. Not only has the government increased their customer base, but now is eliminating the competition!

2 Likes

Lmao stoners in shambles

Thailands new government. After seeing years of drunks causing problems and prostitution openly on the streets. Sex and child sex tourism being rampant.

No no no. We have to stop these stoners.

3 Likes

Also, methamphetamine (which is a bad drug) is quite common there. They’re probably confused about how to deal with the meth problem, and this seems like it might help. But they’re very different drugs

Nah, it was never difficult to get before. Tourists who aren’t stoners but want to dabble on holiday are the only ones who won’t be able to find it if they want it

1 Like

Or will it just turn into clinics handing out prescriptions to tourists? I expected mass protests with the amount of money people will lose.

And the cops waiting down the street from the clinics.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of money involved either way.

1 Like

If it wasn’t ever difficult to get before why even bother legalising it and now walking back? Clearly it’s gotten WORSE after the legalisation and they are now WAKING UP.

Because human rights and horrible jails. Oh, and billions in tax income and other economic benefits. Also the benefit of greatly reducing crime and all the shady crap that goes along with illegal activity. It was a smart move to legalize and rolled out insanely poorly (typical of Thailand).

I think Thailand fucked up in how prolific it got. But it should absolutely remain legal. They are just terrible at regulating and setting up proper systems. Even alcohol has times of day you can’t buy it. Regulate the vendors more, don’t make regular people criminals.

They should criminalize Russians first :thinking:

2 Likes

Taxes is a reason, tourism us another

New governments change policies all the time, but there are reasons given in the links shared above

1 Like

I know some Taiwanese folks who went to dabble. They tried gummies. Given their experience, I’d say whatever they ate wasn’t THC.

I doubt they’d dabble again, legal or otherwise.

Maybe they just got something too strong and ate too much and couldn’t handle it? I suppose it is possible they got something laced with something cheaper, but seems more likely they are just inexperienced.

If there is contaminated stuff being sold, that’s another reason to scale back. But that hasn’t been otherwise reported.

Or was their experience nothing at all? In that case maybe they didn’t have enough!