New Toyota RAV4 vs Honda CRV?

That should tell you something! Everyone else is sold out but Ford still have stock…

Similar to Luxgen then, another brand to avoid!

When you factor in reliability and resell value that Ford becomes extremely poor value when compared to Toyota or Honda equivalents.

2 Likes

Have you seen the Hyundai Tucson L?
It’s the one I bought after seen all the models you suggested (and more).
I’m pretty happy with that purchase!

1 Like

For the modernized panels, don’t get their native crap tools - hire a third party to add Android Navigation. Wayy better and no monthly fee. Uses whatever version Android uses, I think, since it takes the juice from your phone (so better phone, smoother nav).

If you use Apple, then… You could always go find yourself a lightning bolt type Z v300 cable to pay a few hundred usd for /troll

I do wish there was an English Garmin app for Android… Even Google isn’t great at Taiwan roads.

Many new cars come with Android Auto / Apple Carplay. It isn’t the same as an Android Head Unit, but better than a native interface. There’s also no monthly fee.

Yeah, it can get lost sometimes but not as much as Waze. For some reason I can’t get it to work properly and it keeps losing the GPS signal or suddenly recalculating the route. :idunno:

1 Like

Just bought a new 2022 Honda CRV (USA LX trim package with quite a few add ons you get in Taiwan that you dont elsewhere).

Radar
360 view with birds eye
Dual side mirror cameras
Front, rear, side proximity sensors
lane keep
distance keep
wireless phone charging
wireless android auto / car play
sport mats for the floor and cargo area
tinted windows [all of them]
silver interior trim instead of faux wood

and more

very happy

Here is a pic of the infotainment system.

The infotainment system has 4 settings…

1. Honda Auto with Garmin Navigation

2. Android Auto

3. Apple Car Play

4. Full Android 11 operating system

6 Likes

Cars built in Taiwan seem to be in stock. The Fords not built here were a 3 month wait.

I’ve no experience with Luxgen (or Ford actually!), but I know the Focus is the #1 or #2 best selling vehicle in Europe, and i believe it’s top 10 in Taiwan. I drove two BMWs to 140k miles so I’m ok with less reliable brands if they offer something in return. My 2017 Honda Civic hatch was an unreliable POS, so buying Japanese is no guarantee these days. (granted it was built in the UK lol).

We did not check out the Koreans, since we see so few of them here. I’d definitely consider them in the US. I wish Hyundai sold the i30 hatchback here, I’d buy that for sure.

1 Like

Don’t most new cars here have Android Auto and Apple Carplay already? That’s a must for me.

What’s the best navigation app for Taiwan? I’m used to Waze in the US, which works fantastic there.

I’ve tried a few, and I found that the Google Maps is the one that works best so far

1 Like

I was looking at the hybrid version for the Rav4 but found that it is an extra 5,000 NTD in gas tax…

I think I would go for the gasoline version and use that 5,000 NTD a year on gas… (5,000 ntd is more than 3 months of gas for me.)

F###K the environment I guess…

I was considering a CRV, too.

The thing I disliked was that the driving assistance system (LKA, ACC, etc) only works above 70km/h. The reason I was changing car was due to facing too much traffic jam, and I wanted a ADAS that worked at any speed to help on that.

Aside from that, a good choice for a car, indeed!

1 Like

Ah, it has a larger engine. They really should tax by gas mileage rather than engine size, oh well.

1 Like

How did I not know there is a thread on this subject until now. I just went for test drives trying out both last week.

In all honesty, I liked CR-V’s handling a lot better. The RAV4 hybrid I tested felt a bit laggy in response. CR-V is a bit more roomy, and it seems like it would be easier to fit a DIY bed for my cat above the cup holders at the center. My wife also felt more car sick sitting in the back of the RAV4.

However, I am leaning towards RAV4 just because there is a hybrid version. If Taiwan’s Honda offers their hybrid CRV here as well, I probably would have signed then and there.

I was told that if you get on the waiting list now, you would have to wait until next January for a CR-V and until October or November for Toyota RAV4.

1 Like

I LOVE my Hybrid RAV4 - that’s what happened with me. I didn’t realize there was a Hybrid model. When I drove that, it just flew; the Hybrid version is actually more powerful than both the CRV and the vanilla RAV4 (Google the specs).

It’s a few thousand USD more, but not a lot more. I travel all over the place and my gas usage really is decent.

The stock panel sucks though - gotta upgrade it. Native Android 11 is really cool for the CRV, but for me - the CRV couldn’t even compare to the Hybrid variant of the RAV4.

There is ONE complaint, though: If you don’t get the super premium top end variant, the A/C in the back absolutely sucks. It’s like… one subpar one behind the front seat middle panel, and it’s barely even considered a breeze at full blast. For our infant, we need a separate fan or he gets grumpy.

Unsubbing folks! Toss me a @ping if you have a specific question about the RAV4 Hybrid.

1 Like

Am thinking of trading in my 2013 CRV for a Subaru Forester or Outback. Hmmm…later will ask opinions.

Have a Luxgen U7. 50k on the clock. No issues. Runs well. All the inside tec + heated & air con massage seating.
The service center is awesome. Stone stuck in the wheel somewhere. Took them an hour. Pulled a couple of wheels off. Job done. Free of charge.
A couple of hundred thousand less than Rav & CRV
I know made in Taiwan …… but so far no complaints.

2 Likes

Taiwan numbaaa one!!!

Yeh sure but you pay 5000 more in fuel tax for compared to the standard rav 4…

Yes.