New Venue for Games Club

tell us more about your chitchat club stewart…
we’re not going there to teach english are we?

ax

[quote=“ax”]
we’re not going there to teach English are we?

ax[/quote]

Like you could… :wink:

No…no teaching required…just enjoy yourself in our overly spacious environment.

pendulous, What is an English cafe? Sounds like you want to have a bunch of foriegners in there so that the English-leeches can come and use us to practise what you have taught them upstairs. It makes me feel sick and neither I, or any other foreigners that I know, would even dream of going to a place like that.
Correct me if I’m wrong-but I don’t think I am!

Re: The game club, I don’t go there anymore so as to avoid another individual (not ax), but one of the good things about the game cub is that there are several games going on at any one time. Ax never ‘stole’ anyone from your card game to go and play his- they made that choice themselves. At least ax is enthusiastic about the game club and the kind of games that he likes to play. Other than Casey, no one else really brought anything to the table yet there are people compalining about those games.

By the way, there is a great little tea shop just near the chit chat cafe…i forget the name but its a great place for the game club. Lots of cushions and inexhaustable pots of good tea. I will be down that way today and will note the name.

Re: Chit Chat -
If I remember rightly, it’s divided into two sections: one section which is just a normal cafe, and one for past and present students of the Wall Street Academies and staffed by their staff for them to practice English. So no worries on that front.

Re: Games Club -
As an attempted newcomer two weeks running, I must also add my voice to the “increasingly frustrated” chorus. It’s all well and good to change for whatever reason and - actually no, it’s bloody not, not without warning, and especially not within only a couple of hours of the club like two weeks ago. Not all of us have 24/7 Internet access, and those of us that do probably don’t like the thought of having to constantly refresh this thread just to find out where the club is, right until about 5 minutes before leaving. And being a newcomer leaves me RIGHT out of the little “phone around” loop. There are, apparently, sod all people coming to the club already, and that ain’t going to change if us newbies can’t GET to the club.

I agree wholeheartedly with Rascal’s suggestions.

This is going off-topic again but being one of the regulars (more or less) for at least a year I can claim it’s not correct to say other’s never brought any games. Which makes me wonder how often you have actually been there to reach the above conclusions … ? :s

As well I find you comments re the chit-chat cafe uncalled for, it appears more of a personal attack based on pre-judice rather than objective criticism.
You are of course entitled to your opinion (though I would prefer you rather back it up with substance than name calling) and you may choose not to visit that place on whatever gounds but it doesn’t mean the place is not a suitable venue, at least the GC committee-to-be-appointed could consider it.

sure rascal…i didnt go to the game club for very long and of course i can only comment on those times that i was there.

re: The chit chat ENGLISH cafe, yes, my comments are based on predjudice, what do you expect when it calls itself by such a name? ‘english cafe life’?? i’m pretty sure (pre)judging by it’s ties with a language school, that it’s not an English cafe as in ‘England’. look at their site for goodness sake!
the place may well be a suitable venue for the game club and as i don’t go anymore, it is of no consequence to me…i am merely pointing out my objection to this guy pedling that venue as an inoccent little cafe.

anyway, i’m am fully aware that i have been a grumpy bastard lately and the smallest things are triggering angry responses…hopefully a phase

I think the Chit Cat Cafe will have trouble shedding the image of an English club. When I was there it was just a coffee shop. Not much different than a lot of coffee shops in Taipei except that it is very spacious inside. It’s the biggest coffee shop I have ever been in. It’s huge.
Nobody will try to get you to teach English there.

This “guy” is not “peddling” anything. Your club seems to be having some difficulty. I am trying to offer a suggestion. I am trying to tell you about a comfortable, spacious club that would welcome you with open arms, safely store your games and keep a standing reservation for you in an ambient back corner of our incredibly large cafe. We will even try to stock your fav libations. You would never be expected to nor wanted to bring any of your precious english talents to bear for any other customers enjoying our fare.

The “EnglishCafeLife” thing is a slogan. It is not a mandate. It is not procedure. Its a marketing thing. I have said this over and over again on at least 3 different threads. What on earth has ever led anyone to believe that we want you to teach?

It is the second floor that we teach on. We may use the first floor for special events from time to time, but they would be private affairs and in no way include any input from English teaching passerbys.

And what reason have I ever given SouthPaw to launch such a personal attack. I have always remained an upstanding member of this community and if sharing information that could benefit others is going to bring this kind of vituperative vitriole from prima donna wannabes, I’ll just forget about sharing, posting or lurking.

But until then, let’s see how Southpaw would actually do as an English teacher.

[quote=“Southpaw”]sure rascal…I didn’t go [color=red](haven’t gone)[/color] to the game club for very long and of course I can only comment on those times that I was there.

re color=red[/color]: The chit chat English cafe [color=red](The ChitChat Cafe)[/color], color=red[/color] yes color=red[/color], my comments are based on predjudice,color=red[/color] what color=red[/color]do you expect when it calls itself by such a name? 'English cafe life’color=red[/color]??color=red[/color] I’m pretty sure (pre)judging color=red[/color] by it’s ties with a language school, that it’s not an English cafe as in ‘England’. look color=red[/color] at their site for goodness sake!
the color=red[/color] place may well be a suitable venue for the game club and as I don’t go anymore, it is of no consequence to me… color=red[/color]I am merely pointing out my objection to this guy pedling color=red[/color] that venue as an inoccent color=red[/color] little cafe.

anyway color=red[/color], I’m am [color=red](I’m or I am)[/color] fully aware that I have been a grumpy bastard lately and the smallest things are triggering angry responses…hopefully a phase[/quote]

Good luck with that career at Kojen fella…

Wrong! I didn’t go to the game club for very long! That is exactly what I wanted to say.
As for the rest of it, yes, riddled with typos and random punctuation. So what? It doesn’t change the fact that by it’s very name, that place will attract a certain kind of cumstomer who thinks that they can use any foreigner in sight as a means to practice their English. You may not expect anyone to teach there, but you know that the marketing appeals to that kind of person.

By your own method of evaluating an individual’s potential as an English teacher, what is this?

“Good luck with that career at Kojen fella…”

Surely you meant:

Good luck with that career at Kojen, Fella!

It’s surprising that you didn’t even cover your own back there!

What is Kojen?

Stew, you know I have always loved you. As long as you keep posting you’ll still have at least one fan (and even if you decide to stop, you’ll still have a fan). I threw in Alleycat’s since it was moved there one week while we were still in the middle of discussing things. :fume: I wanted to keep meeting at Shuang Yu until things improved. For the sake of keeping this post on topic, I will not go any further on my sentiments about the last three Sundays.

I will be bringing Phase 10, a deck of cards, and Chinese checkers…not Uno, though since a gang of kindergarteners made it impossible for me to find all the cards :laughing: . We have a few board games brought by another regular of GC. Hey Southpaw, if it would make you feel better, I could bring my Hi Ho Cherry-O game to spark some variety, although I think most of us are beyond counting games (especially since most of us are familiar with numbers 1-10). I would bring Jenga, but I think most places would frown on the noise that it makes. People who come are certainly welcome to bring their own games. I cannot promise that I will be there at three. I can only tell you that I will try. I will make the necessary adjustments to the sticky thread on the location.

For anyone who is trying to follow what’s going on here or is interested in joining Games Club for the upcoming Sunday, we will be meeting at Shuang Yu (directions can be found on the first thread on this board). If someone calls you to tell you otherwise, ignore them.

Honestly, though, it’s saddening to me that there are far more people posting about games club than are actually attending it. :idunno:

[quote=“ImaniOU”]For anyone who is trying to follow what’s going on here or is interested in joining Games Club for the upcoming Sunday, we will be meeting at Shuang Yu (directions can be found on the first thread on this board). If someone calls you to tell you otherwise, ignore them.[/quote]Can I recommend that someone turns up within 2 hours of the advertised time in case any newcomers read the ad and thinks it begins at 3pm ?

Is Stew’s place really so bad ? It’s a cafe, it’s near the MRT, sounds ok to me.

I will be there earlier and wear a slogan “Game Club this way”
how’s that?

ax

Dunno if it’s bad (or good for that matter) as I have never been there, hence my suggestion to put it on the ‘evaluation list’.

Let’s discuss further on Sunday about any new venues, we could nominate an undercover team to scout out the place(s) … :smiley:

Sounds like a plan to me.
:smiley:

I’ll aim for three, but yes, if no one is there right at 3 o’clock, please stick around and people will start to meander in. When we say it’s a casual thing, we mean it’s a casual thing.

Cheers,
ImaniOU

Let’s hope I can wake up in time … :sunglasses:

Me too. :wink:

So, what happened this weekend? I went it at 3 and 3:30 and there were barely any people in Shuangyu at all, let alone anyone with games. Unless I somehow missed y’all.

Then you must have missed me, I was there around 3:15, sitting at the big table reading a newspaper while waiting for other game-clubbers which eventually turned up. ShuangYu was indeed very empty, probably because of the tomb sweeping day.

Yes, the place felt a bit like a tomb–but we eventual got up to around 5 of us, playing cardgames.

In any case, there will always be someone there–and if someone is interested in playing chess, I will definitely be there.

Hope to see you then this coming weekend.