New Year's Resolutions?

Getting in Shape 2006 thread over in Health and Fitness aside, got any other new year’s resolutions? I fell a bit short of last year’s resolution to become all-being master of space time and dimension…

Mostly career related, and thus likely extraordinarily boring.

That said:
[ul]1. Learn ASP and ASP.net languages. Become more proficient in ABAP. (career related but so what)
2. Get a life of a sort that might resemble normality of any kind of basic sort.
3. Get married or at least attached enough to survive something like Super Bowl what, season. Super Bowl time. The Super Bowl. Whatever…[/ul]
Plus work-related objectives, which are as predictably numerous as they are boring.

My New Years Resolution is not to make any resolutions. Because I’ll only be dissappointed when I don’t stick to them.

(This is reverse logic. By vowing not to make any resolutions I will naturally break this resolution and therefore make many good new years resolutions that I will keep)

But now I’ve said that it won’t happen.

Student loans 1/2 paid
Pay off all over debts
Learn a new language
Finally get my ass in to see a doc about my fatigue
Kick Coffee
Make it through the huge stack of book sitting on my desk waiting to be read
Get my ass back (it went flat)
spend less time on forumosa.

Resume trying to learn Taiwanese, which had started then faltered.
Clean my apartment.
Keep losing weight.

(yawn)

Sorry!

[quote=“Dangermouse”]My New Years Resolution is not to make any resolutions. Because I’ll only be dissappointed when I don’t stick to them.

(This is reverse logic. By vowing not to make any resolutions I will naturally break this resolution and therefore make many good new years resolutions that I will keep)

But now I’ve said that it won’t happen.[/quote]

Do what I do-- Make commitments. LEt’s begin with the following " I am commited to…" :smiley: Repeat 13x and it will stick

1. Save money.
  2. Go to the gym and run regularly.
  3. Play rugby at the club every Sunday.
  4. Find some direction…
  5. Finding my SO would be nice… :howyoudoin:
  6. Make more progress on my Chinese.
  7. Do more writing thasn this year.

I only have resolutions for 2007; 2006 is nothing but a springboard to 2007 for me. :sunglasses:

Hope it’ll be a short year. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Notsu”]I only have resolutions for 2007; 2006 is nothing but a springboard to 2007 for me. :sunglasses:

Hope it’ll be a short year. :slight_smile:[/quote]It will be shortest year we’ve had for a while, 2004 had an extra day, and 2005 has an extra second on the end. So don’t forget to start your 10 second countdown to 2006 at 9 seconds to midnight.

I resolved to cut down on exercise, and to masturbate more. It wasn’t all that hard after all.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]

I resolved to cut down on exercise, and to masturbate more. It wasn’t all that hard after all.[/quote]

How did you ever manage to juggle the two???

Close my place and get a life … :noway:

1. No more starting bar fights.
  2. Limit my alcohol intake to under 5 gallons a week.
  3. Don’t “hang out” at “barbershops” to get a “massage”
  4. I will be more choosier with my women. The days of taking 100 kg. mingers with acne back to my home at 4 A.M. after 11 shots of whiskey, those days are over.
  5. Try to be more careful about not making children in my classes cry. No more locking the brats in cupboards and belittling the stupid little monkeys. Especially not in front of their parents.
  6. Engaging in illegal activities is dangerous. Drunk driving and sexual harassment are wicked fun, but you have to pay the piper.
  7. Try to wake up earlier than 2 P.M. on the weekdays.
  8. Be kinder to animals. That is, do not catch, torture, kill, and then eat them.
  9. Budget myself so that I won’t have to keep begging my friends to loan me money every week, and bumming beers off of them every time I go out.
  10. Quit stalking that girl who works over the counter at the Big Egg. I think I need to try a different approach.
  11. Try to get on a physical exercise program. Walking up stairs, I think I might try that, instead of always taking the elevator up to the 2nd floor.
  12. Training my dog to attack black people was not the best of ideas. There aren’t any in my neighborhood for him to attack. So, I will see if I can train him to attack Hakka.
  13. Kick heroin

Rock hard six pack abs!

And being nice. r.

I got kinda serious about losing weight in 2005. On balance, I am down in weight from a year ago. However, I still have a long ways to go.

This past summer my boy started wearing some of my old Grateful Dead T-shirts from the 1980s when I was pretty thin. Last week, I gave him my old leather jacket that I wore in law school in the late 1980s. Its a bit big on him, but, it fits OK if he wears a heavy shirt underneath.

So, the race is now seriously on… I have some old patched blue jeans that I wore on the farm and while following the Grateful Dead around during the late 1970s and early 1980s. They are still a bit too big for him… and way too small for me.

I am going to try to fit back in to those blue jeans again before he is able to fit in to them for the first time.

Find a happy place, a happy job, and maybe a little bit more ambition.

That or engage in more death/thrilling hobbies.

Aside from getting fit and reading more fiction and less forumosa

I have resolved to

Get a better job

Eat 3 meals a day

Drink more water after suffering kidney stones (again)

Finally learn to ride a motorbike (I never got a licence :blush:)

I want to learn more about the aboriginal people in Taiwan (anybody know any good academic books to start me off?)

Find more worthwhile pursuits that involve me spending less time on the internet

And get more foreign mates

Hope you all have a good night tonight. Happy New Year :rainbow:

Ha ha! Good luck Tigerman. A touching tale indeed. Damn but that lad of yours must have shot up something since I last saw him!

Great ideas! By the bye, a mate of mine kept getting kidney stones and it seemed to be worse in Taiwan. He did say there was a surprisngly high incedence of this condition in Taiwan, but I dunno for sure.

Very bad idea! Taiwan isn’t really the place to learn. It’s dirty, stupidly dangerous and cold and wet. Stick to whatever means of transport you’ve used till now. Look back and you’ll find many a poster has mentioned how much their lives improved after they gave up the scoots.

HG

Finish my goddamn M.A. thesis and then get into the Ph.D. program at NTU … :s

If I accomplish those two things, I might consider giving up smoking.

I’ve already given up sex … although that has more to do with having a M.A. thesis to write and thus no social life to speak of … :help:

Hmmmm… One more thing I conveniently forgot to mention…

1. Really quit smoking.

I gave it a good go in 2005 but let up after a few weeks. This time I’m serious. :beatnik:

To be alive at the end of next year making the same resolution. :smiley: