New York Department of Health Fully Endorses Racism

Apparently the best way to fight racism is to be super racist.

3 Likes

Why is that racist? The majority of people who got the first round of vaccines were well-off white people that could work from home and easily afford food and grocery delivery. Black and Latino people are more likely to have jobs that can’t be done remotely and require them to come in direct contact with maskless jerks all day long. They also made up the majority of COVID deaths.

It gets into the same argument as “poor countries shouldn’t get rich countries’ help”. Do you want to limit deaths from COVID and the rapid spreading of it, or do you want to make sure this pandemic goes on forever? Prioritize people who don’t need the vaccine and you’ll keep getting variants and no end to this nonsense

1 Like

Discrimination based on race is definitionally racist.

14 Likes

I’m pretty sure the focus is on getting equal distribution of vaccines out. Even now, more white people have gotten COVID shots than any other group. It’s not racist to say “we’ve missed a good chunk of the population. Let’s focus on that group”. If for some reason mostly people aged 30-45 were the only people getting the vaccine, would it be “ageist” to target people aged 18-29 and 46+? If for some reason it was mostly people with brown hair got the vaccine, would it be discriminatory to focus on making sure people with blond or black hair got the vaccine?

It’s only racist if you’re actively trying to discriminate against a group based on their race. Seeing that a group didn’t get something and then focusing your efforts to make sure they get it isn’t racist. It’s making sure they get access to what other people already have easy access to. No one said “white people can’t get the vaccine now”. If they made it explicitly clear that the vaccine is not going to available at all to white people, or white people have to have some sort of ID that mostly only non-white people have in order to get the vaccine, that would be racist. What is happening here is that efforts are ramped up to make sure that non-whites get the vaccine because they haven’t had as easy access. It’s not discriminating against anyone based on their race.

1 Like

I don’t think you have read the story.

3 Likes

Who’s more at risk of dying from COVID? White people who work from home and have doctors that listen to their concerns and make sure their health problems are promptly addressed? Or non-white people, who tend to have jobs that force them to come in direct contact with other people and also are less likely to have been given the time off to get the vaccine in the first place and have doctors that dismiss most of what they say? Who has been dying more from COVID since the start of the pandemic? I’ll give you a hint: it’s not white people.

I don’t even think she read the title of the article as she’s focused on vaccines and getting the virus as opposed to treating sick patients.

3 Likes

Just for the record I hate white people more than any other white posters here. And I’m a bit swarthy.

4 Likes

It looks to me like yet another instance of health authorities getting confused about the meaning of “risk factor”, conflating it with “proximate cause”.

If there are certain districts that have a higher percentage of people who might (based on statistical inferences) benefit from certain drugs, then fine, prioritize those districts. That doesn’t need to be a contentious thing. Nor does it need to involve any mention of skin colour.

2 Likes

They will be sued, they will lose, rinse and repeat over and over till it sinks in. Some dude was just awarded 10 million dollars for being fired from his company so he could be replaced by a couple of non white dudes.

Some folks over at MSNBC (I seem to recall) were hilariously puzzled over the whole thing.

1 Like

So it’s a list of criteria needed to be eligible for oral antiviral treatment. White people can also receive this treatment. Not a story.

What?

1 Like

You need to be over 12 ( or 18)
You need to test positive on a lateral flow at home
You need to have mild to moderate symptoms
You need to be able to start treatment with five days
You need to have a medical condition or other risk factors(*) which increase risk of severe illness
(*Non white or Hispanic-Latino ethnicity to be considered an increased risk factor due to their longstanding social and health inequalities)

Tell me where a white person can’t fit into these criteria?

1 Like

It’s very kind of them that white people can fit in, but people have been put at relative advantages and disadvantages to receive these treatments purely on the basis of their race (as determined by the government in some way). White people must have a risk factor, while non-white and Hispanic people do not. There are many poor white people and middle class and wealthy non-white people.

1 Like

Their risk factor is living in the state of New York.

I don’t see this as relevant.

The bigger issue is that non-white and Latino-Hispanic communities are consistently treated unfairly both socially and economically to the point where just being alive in New York State is a risk factor to them. But apparently, as is often the case, this is about white rights.

2 Likes

When did it stop being about public health?

If you see it that way that’s fine, but you said it was “not a story”. I guess we’ll just have to differ if you think so. I despise racism in all its forms.

1 Like

It depends who you ask mate. In another thread this is all just mass hysteria.

I should have said, ‘This is not the story being told,’ in reference to the newspaper article. Yes, it’s a story about racism, but it’s not a story about white people being in on the receiving end of racism. It’s about how tone deaf white people are to the suffering of others.

1 Like

No, it’s about racism. I would like nothing more than to ensure that people actually suffering are receiving their needed treatment. It’ll surely be struck down anyway. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see another Republican governor. I’d be voting for one surely with madness like this from the Democrats, if I could.

1 Like