百靈果News Podcast - Commenting on Foreigners in Taiwan

I doubt they went to North America with zero English. Elitists would have tutors, or you mean they were brought up in North America?

Think went to high school or more there

There were whole reading sections in the HSK on the superiority of the Chinese civil service over other countries. That one came up a few times in mock papers (I did a mock paper a day for a year). Others on the genius of various Deng Xiaoping economic reforms (always Deng and never Mao for some reason).

That stuff is both annoying and also really boring. You just kind of go with it. The HSK is written by the Confucius Institute, so it’s their remit to push Chinese propaganda

1 Like

Yeah, I’m a little surprised as well by the comments about ChinesePod. This summer I’ve been going through a bunch of their intermediate lessons, from the roughly 2010-2014 period (when they were in Shanghai, before they moved to Taipei I think), and haven’t picked up on any nastiness towards foreigners.

What’s more personally aggravating is how many times I’ve already learned and forgotten this material.

1 Like

I’m fairly certain it is. I used to live downstairs from one of the hosts. His sink broke and started leaking into my apartment so I had to go help him shut it off. He didn’t have a studio setup in his apartment or anything that looked like he recorded there, so I assumed he worked at a studio in Tapei.

Could you give an example?

That 百靈果 so-called news podcast is just a verbal extension of Apple Daily, ETToday, the Blast Commune and their ilk. Younger people prefer to hear people yammer newsish gossip than read about it. If it’s bilingual it feels modern or they might think they’re learning something too.

3 Likes

I think slightly unfair. Its generally a good show. They are trying to be Taiwan’s version of the Joe Rogan Experience, but if Joe Rogan was to shout “go back to your own country”, then he would be getting cancelled as fuck

2 Likes

No, but Joe Rogan can puff ganja on air these two just puff hot air :joy:

2 Likes

OK, I am going to test it and see how much time goes by before I decide, nah, not for me…

Erm, honestly it’s a step up. Generally it’s good that Taiwan now has these type of podcasts talking about global affairs and society issues. Years ago Taiwan was all ICRT and fucking moronic TV shows.

I can easily listen to bailingguo for pleasure, culturally doesn’t seem so distant from the West

2 Likes

3 minutes…

My first impression is that the setup is quite professional, good sound quality etc.

Horrible ad in the beginning.

What’s with the divider in front of the camera? Protecting Youtube watchers?

3 minutes of garbage talk without hinting to the content of that episode.

The two hosts seem to be nice, but not the types I am drawn to.

What made me decide to stop watching at 3min. was the laughing of the female host.

Too shrill, not for me, at least not at the moment.

So I have yet to find out about the topic of that episode.

5 out of 10

2 Likes

I thought they are telling foreigners to go home ? I do not see that as being culturally similar unless comparing them to a KKK Pod cast.

3 Likes

This episode is good.

The ones with guests(KK Show) are a lot better The KK Show - #92 被排擠的國民黨將軍 - #于北辰 將軍 @北極星說故事 - YouTube

This was best episode recently

The dividers are part of the Covid rules. The normal shows just run through general topics in the international news and discuss them.

2 Likes

I mean do you listen to the show. Its not usually like that. In general I think podcasting and these type of underground media have had an amazing effect on Taiwan. Its helping Taiwanese to get a better understanding of the outside world. They have interesting people on there like stand up comedians, politicians, musicians etc.

They even had one where they had a girl working in a Jiudian and interviewed her about her experiences.

I generally like it.

They displayed their horrible prejudiced attitude to foreigners (white people basically ), in this case the they use ‘lao wai’ living in Taiwan though…How many times do they have to scream Get out of my country.

And then denigrating hard working foreigners in Taiwan. It’s not even funny …

Prickish behaviour. Reinforcing racist prejudice against foreigners in Taiwan.

Some of these types are packing US passports too.

10 Likes

I couldn’t get far. She is bellowing and laughing so loudly, for instance at 6:35, that the mic is actually distorting. It’s really quite painful for me. Not that I could keep up anyway.

4 Likes

It’s the same old bigoted attitudes, repackaged in a more fun format for millennial audiences.

9 Likes

That’s what’s so frustrating about these people. They hate on white people living in their country and then they go live in other white peoples countries and usually do child and spousal visas for their whole damn family. Insane hypocrisy

7 Likes

They are trying to be as well-known, but they’re not in the same class of quality. While I was never a regular listener to either, Rogan’s show is far superior. He’s a creative listener.
Some people think Apple Daily, ETToday and even Blast Commune are generally good. There’s no accounting for taste.

It’s good they have independent podcasts, but I don’t think “these types” add much. There are better ones out there. There are also worse.

They seem narcissistic to me.

Why do you think they otherwise don’t?

Do you listen regularly to 百靈果 ? What are you basing your judgement on?

6 posts were split to a new topic: From podcast