NEWS STORY: Taiwanese/US Custody Battle

Cola, you are totally speculating. Thanks, but no thanks for the soap opera editorializing.

This guy has already been tagged somewhat negatively in the local TV news reports. He’s gone through the legal means to get custody of his daughter. If the roles were reversed, people would be up in arms about it. There’s nothing she can do about it.

[quote=“Cola”]
In what way is he her ‘‘father’’? He cheated on the side on his wife for a few free fucks of this once beautiful woman, and then he finds out he made a baby by accident, and suddenly claims her for his own. It’s the mother’s daughter, she gave birth to her. It’s the father’s love child. Aren’t they both acting desperate?
.[/quote]

you need to look at this rationally and not emotionally.

first, there are good reasons why countries have agreed that one parent abducting a child to another country is ALWAYS wrong.

second this guy has not done anything “suddenly.” it’s clear he has been pursuing this for years and has always been interested in the baby’s welfare. paternal rights shouldn’t be ignored just because mom and dad weren’t married or because mom decided to traipse off two years ago.

the only thing to do is to go back to square one and take it from there. so far taiwan seems to be doing what’s right. hopefully that will prove to continue to be true as this plays out.

Greek tragedies don’t have happy endings. :cry:[/quote]

And usually they involve the fall of a great person, which seems to be lacking from this soap-opera. Just a bunch of tawdry ordinary people, but people nonetheless with real-life issues.

International custody battles are bound to be tragic (in the colloquial sense of the word). Any custody battle is sad, but when the mother and father live on opposite sides of town a reasonable visitation schedule can be arranged. When they live on opposite sides of the world one parent will essentially have the child taken away. I empathize with her. I’m sure she feels like an organ is being ripped from her body.

But she was a fool to ignore the legal proceedings; things almost certainly would have gone better for her if she had hired an attorney earlier to represent her in the first legal battle. I believe I also understand her motivations in not doing so – that she was torn up by emotion, knew nothing about US legal procedures, was overwhelmed by the thought of a legal battle, felt she couldn’t afford a lawyer, didn’t know how to hire a lawyer, just wanted to run home to mommy and daddy in taiwan, and believed that maybe if she did that – if she grabbed the child and fled to another country – everything would be alright, a foolish, childish, emotional response, but understandable given her relative ignorance and poverty and being out of her natural environment as compared to this wealthy US citizen she would have to battle. So, I find her situation understandable, but in the end people need to learn to respect legal process and promptly seek legal counsel when it appears necessary. Perhaps Taiwanese people will gradually learn those valuable lessons from cases like this, but probably not, probably they’ll just chalk it up erroneously to another case of little Taiwan getting shat on by bad foreigners.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
But she was a fool to ignore the legal proceedings; things almost certainly would have gone better for her if she had hired an attorney earlier to represent her in the first legal battle. I believe I also understand her motivations in not doing so – that she was torn up by emotion, knew nothing about US legal procedures, was overwhelmed by the thought of a legal battle, felt she couldn’t afford a lawyer, didn’t know how to hire a lawyer, just wanted to run home to mommy and daddy in taiwan, and believed that maybe if she did that – if she grabbed the child and fled to another country – everything would be alright, a foolish, childish, emotional response, but understandable given her relative ignorance and poverty and being out of her natural environment as compared to this wealthy US citizen she would have to battle. So, I find her situation understandable, but in the end people need to learn to respect legal process and promptly seek legal counsel when it appears necessary.[/quote]

Well, if I recall correctly, we are not talking about some small peasant girl here. We are talking about a journalist, which was sen as smart enough by her superiors to be posted in the US. I would expect her to have a better grasp of English than most Taiwanese females in that situation - also her working as a journalist there should - at the very least - have learned her a little bit about how the US society works.

But perhaps that’s saying too much.

I’m reminded of something a guy I used to know liked to say (for what it’s worth): “Fifty years ago they were all peasants; today they’re peasants in Mercedes.”

As I said earlier, I’ve found that even a large percentage of high-level professional persons in Taiwan are shockingly ignorant of the seriousness and costs and need to respond to legal processes initiated against them and believe they can just ignore such things and maybe they’ll go away.

Ignorance and/or stupidity is not an excuse for disregard of the law.

Good stuff. I’ve been watching this too. Obviously we will never find out what really happened, but it’s hilarious fun to watch the media!

Don’t fuck those nasty foreigners! They will take your babies away! :runaway:

So, we have an experienced and mildly famous Taiwanese reporter who has lived in America for quite some time, and allegedly has an American passport. We also have a rich and married American with a Taiwanese wife.

We are expected to believe as follows:

1. Taiwanese journo interviewed rich Yank without knowing he was married.
  2. Taiwanese journo and rich Yank had casual bonk/affair which resulted in kid.
  3. Three years later, father applies for custody upon which Taiwanese journo takes kid out of country.
  4. Father and his wife remain married and father goes to huge expense to recover kid.

So… where’s the money? This (as always) is about money. For me it is also about the general attitude of the Taiwanese to the law. I think, this time, The Law (father) will win against The Media Circus (mother). How much money will be extracted from the father in the process is another matter.

Do keep us updated. :wink:

It is an intriguing story. Let’s see what happens.

One questionL: how can the unmarried father of a child born out of wedlick get custody of a child who was birthed by the girl’s mother?
Do US courts normally award custody rights to unmarried fathers who are married to someone else, over the rights of the mom? Interesting.

Maybe this IS all about money. Follow the money trail…

Meanwhile. check out this story [see link at my earlier post] re something very similiar in Japan. And how Japan courts reacted when a Japanese woman did almost the szame thing:

[Radio Host] A father

This might be the smoking gun: “Juan and Sartin met in New York in 1997 and had the child in 2003. Juan said she decided to bring her daughter back to Taiwan after finding out that Sartin was already married.”

Hmmmm. They first met in 1997, that does give her time to know he was married. baby born 6 years later in 2003. Sounds like a legit surrogate baby deal gone sour…

What’s a surrogate baby deal? Someone suggested that earlier and I still don’t know what it means (not that I would believe it, even if I understood it, but I’m just curious).

I haven’t seen any other source for the surrogate mother story except here.

Ms. Ruan has now moved her household registration to Taipei and her lawyers are trying to re-open the custody issue in Taiwan. So far the Taiwanese courts have simply upheld the US judgment on procedural grounds.

Currently, her lawyers are trying to disqualify the US judgment on grounds that she was not properly served. Her household registration was in Taichung but she has not lived there in years. This move by her lawyers is SOP since service in Taiwan is such a hassle and has to be done with so much care.

I’m hearing that she has a good chance of winning if the court does decide to take up the custody issue. The courts here prefer to give custody of small children to women, and since she is financially independent and has a family network to support her, she is in a good position.

Crucially, administrative agencies are taking her side. The MOFA has ordered all ports and airports to prevent the father from taking the child out of the country unless she has her passport. This means that she cannot travel on the ARC her father apparently got for her. MOFa will not issue a new passport because Ms. Ruan has her passport and therefore the passport is not lost.

Something like this:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 027#513027

[quote]Polygamist uses woman to bear child

A legislator decried the use of foreign brides as cheap surrogate mothers yesterday after highlighting the case of a married man who used another man’s identity to marry a Cambodian woman so that she could bear his children.

The man, surnamed Chan, decided to find a foreign bride to bear his children as he and his wife had been unable to conceive.

As he was unable to use his own name, Chan registered with a marriage agency using the identity of a man surnamed Yao and went through the marriage formalities in December 2003.

After arriving in Taiwan, his Cambodian wife, surnamed Chung, was forced to live with Chan and bore him twin girls. But after giving birth, Chung’s visa expired and she was unable to renew it, since her registered husband, surnamed Yao, had been killed in a fishing accident. In line with regulations, Chung was deported and the twin daughters were adopted by Chan and his family.[/quote]

At least that’s how it may be portrayed in the TW media, but then again, since some TWs do it to ethnicities of one socioeconomic rung below too, they should at least have a good frame of reference… lol

What about the court order preventing her from taking the baby out of the US? That’s separate from the Taichung summons. She’s still guilty of kidnapping in the US even if she were improperly served in Taiwan, right? Is there no extradition between the US and Taiwan? I thought I remembered a case where a father who had snatched his daughter was located in Taidong a few years ago and he and his daughter were deported/returned to the US.

Suprise. Suprise. This doesn’t shock me in the least, despite the fact that the man could potentially sue TECO in the US for being an accomplice to the kidnapping.

The racial prejudices amongst certain government ministries here is just plain awful. Seriously, their racist mindsets make the KKK look like Oxfam.

[quote=“Maoman”]
What about the court order preventing her from taking the baby out of the US? That’s separate from the Taichung summons. She’s still guilty of kidnapping in the US even if she were improperly served in Taiwan, right? [/quote]

Well, if she’s been convicted of kidnapping, she would need to be properly served in Taiwan. It is not at all clear to me what the legal situation in the US is–I only know the account given by the newspapers here and there are bound to be inaccuracies and misunderstandings.

[quote=“Maoman”]
What about the court order preventing her from taking the baby out of the US? That’s separate from the Taichung summons. She’s still guilty of kidnapping in the US even if she were improperly served in Taiwan, right? [/quote]

Well, if she’s been convicted of kidnapping, she would need to be properly served in Taiwan. It is not at all clear to me what the legal situation in the US is–I only know the account given by the newspapers here and there are bound to be inaccuracies and misunderstandings. I’ll defer to MT on what her legal situation in the States is–I suspect there was some kind of default judgment against her on custody when she failed to appear in the States. I suppose she could be extradited for kidnapping. His lawyers have probably considered this as a last resort. The threat of criminal penalties often brings people around.

Actually the China Times did a good job yesterday. They paired this story with a couple of in-depth articlesabout Vietnamese mothers of Taiwanese children who take them back to Vietnam and how difficult it is for the fathers to get their kids back to Taiwan.

[quote=“Feiren”][quote=“Maoman”]

Well, if she’s been convicted of kidnapping, she would need to be properly served in Taiwan. It is not at all clear to me what the legal situation in the US is–I only know the account given by the newspapers here and there are bound to be inaccuracies and misunderstandings.[/quote]

And, from my limited understanding of the law :blush: , being properly served in Taiwan is a very difficult task for a foreign entity or person. It requires the person bringing the charges to get approval from certain ministries here in Taiwan. There are often huge waiting times for this approval process. If the whole process is not completed in a year, the charges are dismissed. The whole thing is a very bureaucratic affair involving a lot of red tape. The exisiting system deters outsiders and foreigners from bringing forth these kind of charges in Taiwan.

What a bitch!
I was just watching the news, and the father’s lawyer was being interviewed. He said that in his presence Ms. Ruan asked for 100k and a green card in exchange for custody. When the reporters asked Ms. Ruan for her response, she said “Meiguoren jiangde, ni hui xiangxin ma?” (Would you believe what Americans say?). :noway:

[quote=“smell the glove”][quote=“Maoman”]What a bitch!
I was just watching the news, and the father’s lawyer was being interviewed. He said that in his presence Ms. Ruan asked for 100k and a green card in exchange for custody. When the reporters asked Ms. Ruan for her response, she said “Meiguoren jiangde, ni hui xiangxin ma?” (Would you believe what Americans say?). :noway:[/quote]
cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt

Sorry.

Of course that extends to all foreigners. I mean, what she said.[/quote]
Presumably including the American child she wants to raise … :unamused: