No car sharing for foreigners

Car-plus is refusing foreign citizens. I registered with iRent with no problem. However, Car-plus don’t allow foreign nationals.

I am filling out the 居住臺灣地區之人民受歧視申訴書 form and will mail it first thing tomorrow morning.

If anyone wants to do the same… you are more than welcome

4 Likes

They never answer why they are refusing foreigners.

Their answers are always ‘we’re refusing you because we set up our systems to refuse you’

Infuriating

4 Likes

What’s car plus?

A car sharing company. Basically you use your phone to unlock the car. Drive, and bring it back, then get a bill. Fuel included. Very convenient when taking HSR.

1 Like

So, renting out someone’s car? Or someone rents cars and the re-rents them out?

Usually these are like youbike, a fleet of the cars is owned by the company. You use an app to find one nearby

Not so different from any car rental company, except they have an app instead of an office

3 Likes

They are fleet cars owned by the parent company Yulong (Nissan Taiwan).

Exactly and you get the cars from the parking lot yourself

2 Likes

its a car rental company, that offers to rent cars by the hour.
oddly enough, i have rented from them many times with mo problem and recieved great service. its just the hourly rental that is blocked to foreigners, you can do daily rentals no problem.

5 Likes

Carplus has an app called GoSmart as well (run by the same company) which offers a short to medium term car rental service like iRent.

It’s cheaper than iRent and has better and most importantly CLEANER cars. Their Tiidas and Honda Fits are reliable and they perform regular cleaning (after every 2-3 uses)

In the past I’ve booked iRents and found bras in the back seat, crumbs everywhere and weird sticky thing on the dashboard. It has scarred me for life and I vowed to never use iRent again

5 Likes

If they are blocking a particular service I’d find it hard to even rent daily with them…

3 Likes

i dont think its discrimination as much as it is poor software design. If anyone is to blame is the government.
The problem with the car plus app is that it doesnt accept ARC numbers, and they arent bothered enough to change it. The in-store software works with ARCs just fine… when you approach staff and ask their answer is “bu xing” brcause the layman Taiwanese worker has no clue that the stupid government gave us a different numbering scheme…
BTW in its beginning, irent also didnt accepted ARC numbers, but the owner (chailease) changed it in a software update.

4 Likes

suprising, according to my app Ive rented irent over 350 times ad except for 1 time the car smelled like smokes the rest were fine.

1 Like

Maybe depends on where you live. Central Taipei has been awful for me

Seemed to accept my number just fine until it came to take a picture of my ID and it going to “manual verification…” I don’t understand why they couldn’t manual verify if like iRent and goshare did…

What cars do they offer?

i tried the car plus app 2 years ago, and back then the arc number was not accepted , perhaps you are trying a newer version of the app.

I’m not surprised. Foreigners don’t understand Taiwanese driving customs. Who on this forum does a proper straight-line left turn, runs through a dark yellow light 10 seconds after the light yellow light, or drives straight into a moving train?

8 Likes

i have stopped using my indicator lights and randomly switch lanes. The other drivers need to fear my driving more than i fear theirs, thats the only way.

4 Likes

That’s the way you assert dominance

I just posted my written complaint to the Ministry of Interior this morning

3 Likes