No eggs at my local PX Mart for two weeks

The old ladies that have a small rice-by-the-gram and other groceries told me it was because there was a shortage of eggs (and that’s why prices were currently high). I don’t know the reason though (maybe they told me and I didn’t understand, because my Chinese is not as good enough to keep up with all the neighbourhood gossip)

1 Like

That makes sense I suppose. I wonder why I never noticed it until this year.

Just like the price for vegetables are always high in the summer…

No eggs in our PX Mart yesterday. I presumed rush on essential foods due to pandemic.

1 Like

Loads of eggs at the PX Mart in Taitung.

8 Likes

:astonished:

1 Like

Egg shortage in the north supposedly due to lack of demand during May level 3 causing producers to not breed enough chicks.

4 Likes

Shit, I’m wishing I’d brought some eggs back from Taitung now. :sweat_smile: It’s not a huge problem up there, right? I assume it’s still possible to get them?

4 Likes

My wife told me she heard that imported feed prices were up…so alot of people raising chickens have stopped for now.

My wife’s sister has a relative who raises chickens for meat and eggs. I asked my wife to enquire about her monthly income. She has a big operation and the rumor is she has a monthly income of NT$4,000,000.

I am lucky. My wife’s friend has 100 chickens and sells us two dozen organic eggs every week. The eggs are not warm when they arrive…but pretty darn close.

6 Likes

Was surprised to see that Taiwan goes though 23M eggs a day when the population is only 23M. Wonder if that is typical egg consumption in other countries. We know not everyone eats eggs, so that means for the people that do, they are consuming more than 1 per day.

When you consider that eggs are used in many foods and not just eaten by themselves, baked goods being one example, then that number doesn’t really surprise me.

2 Likes

A traditional 雜貨店 in the XinDian area had a delivery of two crates of eggs. According to family who was walking by, a crowd gathered to purchase the eggs and the crates were emptied rather quickly.

3 Likes

mmlm-characterbio--pic1-mr-strong

The toilet paper effect is back.

2 Likes

And there are people like me (and my wife)…two dozen eggs every week.

I go though 1 bottle of 970ml of egg white a day. Which is about 30 eggs. So I’m also making up for a handful of vegans. :smiley:

I have been known to eat 5-10 in a single day on occasion.

1 Like

Did they say how high her costs are?

5 crates in one hour, my street vendor said.

And since then, I’ve seen no eggs in his stand.

I got mine from two separate organic stores near work last week, 12 eggs for 9 days. Rationing 2 a day, leaving 4 for cooking like fried rice and cauliflower.